• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR Brass Catcher Recommendations?!

mingaa

Raconteur
I shoot some matches where picking up brass is discouraged. Don't get me started. $40 entry fee - it's my brass.

.223 is needed but 300 BLK is not going anywhere ( and they get that). SO I've been looking at brass catchers.

Does anyone use one that works in competition? At the range?

I want to like the Caldwell rail mount unit but it gets mixed reviews. Are those folks being too picky?! I have room on my rails and can buy a mount for each.

I do home engineering but I'm thinking this is affordable and solved. Anyone happy (or not) with something on the market?!?!

I noticed that people said the hot brass tends to melt the mesh style bags. I found a couple but $60 plus seems expensive to me!

the non rail mounted Caldwell only works benched and if you pay attention to it, I'd say that is out for sure.

Looked on ar15.com...this one popped up. I don't have a brass catcher yet but I'm considering one after shooting in the snow...
http://www.elmfg.com/store/brasscatcher.html#Anchor-35882
Those look substantial and I like that they make so many model specific units! I'm going to write them and see if the straps prevent a riser from being mounted. Obviously the rail with a strap is out but I winder if one wiill mount OVER them. If not I'd have to move my red dot forward.

Just talked with Val at E&L - these sound great - used by LEO and military and the retention rods can be spaced at 7 rail slots apart or 11 that should be plenty to get my red dot riser in place. He pointed out a nice feature that I had not thought of - no bag to swing if you are shooting ion the move. Not only a distraction but possibly effecting your aim as well!

The guy is a serious shooter and gunsmith - great chatting with him - they accept all types of payment!

I'll probably pick up one of each. I'd been looking at this Caldwell rail mount but for the $$ it does not get great reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Pic-Rail-Brass-Catcher/dp/B00EB5OU0Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1393351493&sr=1-1&keywords=ar brass catcher caldwell

Do you do run-n-gun with the UTG? I'm looking for one to take into 3 Gun matches. One series that I occasionally shoot charges $40 per event and wants the brass to stay - apparently the SOs and ROs pick it up. .223 is pricey enough but I'm not dropping my hand formed 300 BLK cases - no way!

That's cool, mingaa. They looked sturdy in the pics and the price didn't seem too bad. Like I said, looking for brass in the grass is bad enough...looking for it in 10" of snow just sucks...LOL.

I've been shooting thr
That's cool, mingaa. They looked sturdy in the pics and the price didn't seem too bad. Like I said, looking for brass in the grass is bad enough...looking for it in 10" of snow just sucks...LOL.
I've been shooting through the winter. Hot brass does NOT sit on top of snow at all - but, I'm preaching to the choir, right!

Btw, I sent a note with payment info and received a personal note back from Val a few hours later - he's a principal in the business I'd bet.

I'll post more once I install and use the catcher. Also 15% discount for cash payment including money orders which is what I sent. $50 shipped. Review ASAP!

dude, You should see mee and all my friends looking for 10mm brass.....find the 223, no problem, 9mm seem to get all of it most the time ......10mm, its almost a celebration when its all found. Usually whoever finds one yells it out like its an Easter Egg or something ..."10 MILL !" ....usually followed by some sort of degrading remark for the rest of us hunting the 10mm treasure....its weird they are big and shiny, they really stand out when mixed with other brass but they are so elusive in the field.....they are like the elk of brass

Tell me about it brother.

My pistol range is bedded with limestone gravel. Standard brass sticks out like a sore thumb, but my 10mm disappears almost completely. The last match I was in the other shooters were helping me look for it and got as excited as I did when they found one...

I brass rat on gravel at the club I've joined. People are picking up brass more now by far! I'm still super fat with 9 & 40 which I load - 45 is always there and I trade it, 380 and 38 super as well but 10 and 357 Sig ARE like hen's teeth. I still don'thave enough of either to even include in a trade.

.223/5.56 is now snatched up as well - did a pretty good sweep Friday after shooting and had 2 in the bag. A good bit of pistol but 2 for the ARs. It's not like I'm hurting.

I've had a great time swapping 2/1 9mm for short out of spec .223/5.56 brass. I have more than I can process into 300 Blk for the time being. Some folks must be using the max 1.760 or need new calipers as some 1.750+ has been appearing and that goes in the 'reload' pile!!

one of these days you going to have to show the 300 blk process to us. I have never had an under spec 223 shell, never seen one. How do the get too short?

Back