• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR Brass Catcher Recommendations?!

Tell me about it brother.

My pistol range is bedded with limestone gravel. Standard brass sticks out like a sore thumb, but my 10mm disappears almost completely. The last match I was in the other shooters were helping me look for it and got as excited as I did when they found one...
I don't shoot at a range much, usually its a meadow or a tree line on a meadow.......that's the worst. And since its not benched , but moving around it SUCKS finding brass. When we actually shoot in that shoot house shelter I've posted we usually find all the 10 but its still weird .....some in front some inside some flew through the window. The new heavy spring has really helped brass recovery

one of these days you going to have to show the 300 blk process to us. I have never had an under spec 223 shell, never seen one. How do the get too short?
I have no idea! I thought that they only grew/stretched?! I have a forum friend who has traded with me 3 times - 600 .223 rounds in the 40s and high 30s - he tells me 25% of his brass shrinks?! It is name brand head stamps. I've had no shortage of folks coming forward to trade.

I've gone through most of my personal stock and maybe 1% were short but if it is within a couple of thousandths I keep it assuming it will stretch on the next sizing. Even the long stuff barely needs trimming. Go figger but it is working for me!!

I can do a 300 BLK conversion thread no problem. I have plenty to process right now and a few pics will show it well!
Not a high round count yet but this gun has never seen factory ammo. I was close to buying some on line but stopped myself. I just could not do a buck a round plus shipping and waiting for it! Once I'd fired it - that urge was gone!

Warning: work bench is a pit!! Guess I'd rather load than clean!!

your doing it right for sure, cant wait to see the process.

I have a real hard time buying factory ammo too.......I have weapons that have never fired a factory round. My AR only has for function tests ......and for 77gr Black Hills 556 because I haven't reloaded heavy pills yet.......yet. All my AR reloads are for shooting and practicing so ....no spendy bullets for that just 55gr fmj and soft points. I'll probably buy a few hundred Black Hills 77gr hpbt's and some more m855 for battle ammo with my taxes, as much as it hurts to buy factory these days. I suppose I could reload that as well with surplus pulled 855's and Sierra 77's....just havent

What twist barrel is your AR oli?

All of my barrels have been 1:9 and none have never really liked the 77 gr for distance accuracy. They shoot them just fine, especially up close, but they don't group worth a hoot at more than 70 yards.

Caldwell works fine for me but, I usually shoot steel cased ammo for plinking with AR's and never use a brass catcher in slide fire mode. :)Brass catchers are good for bench shooting IMHO.

We always just taped empty MRE bags over our ejection ports when running around the woods. Saved so much time in police calls.

Back