• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ar pistol parts straggling in.

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
I know im late to the ar pistol party but ive always been luke warm on them. But awhile back a fella had one in 300blk at the range and i became kinda intrigued with it as a nice little woods walking maybe even close range tree stand gun. Ive had a stripped lower and lpk sitting in limbo anyway. So i started ordering some parts awhile back. Yesterday in mail box was some neat items from KAK i had ordered thru SP outfitters in Tx. I like the little kak micro flashcan (not sure if it really needed but it was cheap and i like the look) well heres teaser pic. Il update as parts roll in next week. 1507476348815734012123.jpg 15074763860361473434614.jpg

Wish I had known you were about to be in the pistol arena.

I plan to put up a shockwave blade and tube for sale next week once I finish changing my scorpion over to a carbine.

Though while we're on the subject, ATF has decided that length of pull matters on them. https://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3524

Also, if you're going with a blackout, if you're going to build the upper, look at this barrel.

If I didn't already have one, I'd buy this just to have. Specs look really nice. Would be easy to clean, corrosion resistant, and probably very accurate too.

https://daytonatactical.com/collect.../300-blackout-stainless-steel-10-5-barrel-1x8

I have a large flash can. It's probably 1.5" in diameter and at least 2 inches long. And big enough that a 9mm will fit through no problem. Check yours to make sure a 308 won't be too wide for it. Also, the blackout uses 5/8-24 barrel threads.

The blackout pistol would make a dandy woods walking gun. Supersonic blackout are in the same ball field as 7.62x39. Plenty good enough for hogs.

I actually bought a hardened arms 10.5 melonite barrel im a nitride melonite fan now. I did get the 5/8 24 kak micro can. Had not seen the lop atf thingbthough. Shouldnt be problem as i suffer from trex arms anyway i plan to pretty much push it as far forward as it will go. I have an H2 buffer for it any thoughts on that ?

Last edited:
I don't think the H2 would be a problem for supersonic's. If it is, would be a quick and easy fix to drop it down to an H1 or standard buffer.

I have no doubt that it would choke while trying to use my subsonic handloads though. I had to tune my specific gun to be able to use them. But is entirely off subject because I'm using pistol powders that don't even have commercial load data for them in an attempt to achieve as much velocity to keep them just under supersonic speeds, while staying quiet.

My barrel is an 8.5" melonited barrel. At 50 yards where I have it sighted in, is very accurate with my subsonic handloads. And at the distance I hunt, if I hadn't already gotten a deer already, had planned to use it in modern rifle season.

ACggOtD.jpg

See that target thats what got my attention at range. We even shot out to 100 and groups were about 3moa that changed my putlook on the pistol idea. I read that atf thing 3 times call me dumb but i dont understand the loctite thing can you clarify with crayon for me.

I don't think the H2 would be a problem for supersonic's. If it is, would be a quick and easy fix to drop it down to an H1 or standard buffer.

I have no doubt that it would choke while trying to use my subsonic handloads though. I had to tune my specific gun to be able to use them. But is entirely off subject because I'm using pistol powders that don't even have commercial load data for them in an attempt to achieve as much velocity to keep them just under supersonic speeds, while staying quiet.

My barrel is an 8.5" melonited barrel. At 50 yards where I have it sighted in, is very accurate with my subsonic handloads. And at the distance I hunt, if I hadn't already gotten a deer already, had planned to use it in modern rifle season.

ACggOtD.jpg
Are you using red dot irons or scope ? Im leaning towards a simple dot. No need to rehash subject but i pretty much went to nitride couple years ago and have been quite pleased.

I am using a Bushnell Banner 1.75-5x shotgun scope. Has the circle X reticle.

With the lower magnification is exactly what I need because I think the undergrowth and limited range are very similar for us, plus the reticle is fast on target too.

The low magnification is not much different than irons and making it on target is about as quick as irons. And the little extra magnification is welcome at longer distances too. Sometimes I like to zoom in better to see what's-what.

The shotgun scope is well suited for the kind of hunting that we deal with trees and bushes and stuff and with good eye relief too.

For low light or night, would be night vision all the way obviously. Might look a little goofy, but as Han Solo once said, it may not look like much kid, but she's got it where it counts ;)

One of the big draws for the blackout is the powder burns quickly, which gets the bullet up to speed very quickly despite the short barrel. With ballistics similar to 7.62x39 And I think both of us agree that it does fine for whitetail (and hogs I hear).

As for clarifying about not using Loctite, no I don't understand that either. Just don't Loctite the setscrew. This is probably one of those times where it's easier just to follow directions than trying to understand why.

I will admit that I like nitride barrels too. So far, I think I have ended up with three or four of them so far.

But I don't have any problem with a good stainless barrel either.

iipsrv.fcgi

Il che knthat scope out. Sounds like it may suit me to a T. I did look at that daytona link that appears to be really good buy. Well see how this all comes together. Theres apparently lots of threads on the pistol out there. Im basically copying the one i shot at the range as its the first one i tried that suited me, in past encounters i was underwhelmed basically finding if i gotta shoot it like a pistol im better off with a pistol ? Not sure if that will make sense to anyone but me ? Thanks for actual user input very much appreciated. Hopefully have something by mid week that will go bang at least.

I do like the blackout.

I actually went years without owning it out of principle. I had several arguments with the guy who is accredited for "creating" it with lots of back and forth and still am not partial to him at all.

But, the round itself works well for what I want/need.

20171008_181554.jpg @John A another thank you. I was pestered after reading the lop info so did a quick mock up. Uncle Sugar Daddy will be happy to know im way under the guidelines for the way i intend to set up. Of greater importance is i realized id forgotten to order a castle nut and end plate. Lol luckily i can acquire locally tommorrow. And i will of course NOT use loctite on stabilizer bolt potentially causing this pistol to ? Do whatever it might do when it smelled the loctite fumes i guess.
Thats to short ! Thats to long ! Sounds like a woman trying to choose a mate out of a line up.
Ok enough jabs at the officials couldnt help myself. Edit added pic

Last edited:
I resisted the blk out also. But did buy an hr single for my youngest daughter first deer rifle it was perfect. Im kind of if its a .30 cal i want a proper .30 cal bullet but seemed in past something in the say 135 to 168 range wasnt designed to properly perform at pistol velocities from what i saw. Theres seems to be some good options now though. Of course part of my reasons for jumping in the pond was potential to suppress with what did look like hearing act moving forward now maybe not so much well see. It wont ever be an sbr because i want to be able to travel freely with it.

Yeah, I'd love to be able to get an HR blkout barrel.

I may run across one someday, but the one that's been listed on ebay for about $400 for the last year, ain't happening.

Yeah, I'd love to be able to get an HR blkout barrel.

I may run across one someday, but the one that's been listed on ebay for about $400 for the last year, ain't happening.
Im not real hip on remington these days but ive liked the premis of the aac micro model 7.

Me either. Wasn't pleased with how Cerberus handled a lot of the acquisitions to say the least. Closed most of them and laid off untelling how many good workers.

I reckon the Ruger American blackout is supposed to be pretty decent but even better yet, the CZ 527 in blackout is supposed to be the cats whiskers.

Harden arms barrel and rail arrived. Pretty impressed with it. Mated up to my recievr excellent and was easy indexing. I need to dimple were screws from gas block sits still but its late so il pull rail back off in a.m. and finish that up. The lil kak micro is just what i hoped. I like the way the quad rail is made notched to index perfect against reciever picantinny match up is excellent. More parts inbound tommorrow. May be needing some ammo sooner than i thought. I had bought the uper receiver at gun show not sure of make but cardinal forge mark so i figured 20171010_230822.jpg 20171010_230857.jpg 20171010_230906.jpg 20171010_231712.jpg 20171010_231900.jpg 20171010_232542.jpg 20171010_232634.jpg should be fine ?

Just by judging of your photo of the gas block, make sure you leave the proper gap behind the gas block and the shoulder of the barrel where the handguard retainer goes. Otherwise the gas port will be misaligned.

Ask me how I know.

I made a shim using a handguard cap that I cut in half with a dremel or hacksaw so I can put it in place while I'm putting the gas block in place and once I do, I simply slide it out from between them.

Also, with the gas block off, look at the gas block port hole and make sure it's not drilled for a 556 caliber gas port. If it is, it'll be too small and you'll need to open up the hole. Most blackout gas ports in the barrel are from .095 to .125" diameter. If your gas block port is the regular .74" diameter, you don't need me to tell you that the gun will choke.

Just a few recommendations that I've been down that road already.

Last edited:
As always thank for insight john. Gas port mics at .120 so hopefully good i would think thats plenty though.

I was referring to the size of the gas port on the gas block itself where it feeds into the gas tube. Not on the barrel.

Yeah, .120 would probably be fine. If anything, would probably be a little hard cycling with supers, so your H1 or H2 buffer will probably come in handy.

I was having trouble getting mine to cycle and lock back with some of my subsonic hand loads, whereas my friend was shooting identical loads from his and was eating them like candy.

It was only after I was getting the integral suppressor project in place that I noticed it that it looked small and I discovered the gas block that I was using all along was specific to 223 and around .740" unbeknownst to me to even check for that.

That was my first blackout build and I guess I could've or should've checked for that, but it didn't even dawn on me at the time. Live and learn. And why I mentioned it to keep you from scratching your head about it.

Yepper first time delving into the pistol arena as well as blackout so any tidbits that accelerate learning curve helpful. Im pretty thorough researching before jumping in the pond persay but ACTUAL USER info from trusted folks is golden. So as always thanks. Im pulling gas block and checking itito now never thought to look at it LOL

I didnt' either.

I know my barrel had ~.120" gas port, but I never thought to check to see what the gas block port size was.

To make it easy, I found a drill bit that fit down into the barrel gas port and then used it to see if it would slide into the gas block port.

Nope.

I had to drill it out with that same drill bit that I was checking it with.

Gun works right now. Locks back every time.

The brand of gas block that I was using was a Superlative Arms steel that was nitrided.

My gas tube was nitrided too btw ;)

Back