• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR10......

TravisM.1

.270 WIN
I was on like 20 Facebook gun trading pages, but got tired of the "up for trade is my grandpaps marlin 22, I value it at $500 but I'll trade it for your SCAR, three gold bars, or a yacht" kind of stuff. So its pretty serendipitous that I even saw this......

4fb0ef0e74e18ba6d231fc77da3b24d6.jpg

faae3a6a4dc912333e34ba81ab08160f.jpg

It's a PSA PA 10. .308, stainless 18" barrel, midlength gas system. Came with a flip up rear sight, and 7 20 round Gen3 pmags. Had a big crazy-assed ATI pistol grip on it, and an M4 style collapsible buttstock on it.

I had an A2 grip and magpul CTR stock in a parts box and swapped them out this morning. Better already......
372811a75e373c75494a17beb0628b6e.jpg

Traded it straight across for an AR15. PSA mid length 16" upper, 5.56, 1:7". PSA bcg and charging handle, on an ATI Gen 2 Omni polymer lower with a Rodgers Super-Stock, and four mags.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nice trade.

I had to laugh, I've seen so many ads for guns that were so out of reality its crazy. Most just becase they had a few upgrades that were purely superficial. Some are guns people bought during the drought and are trying to recoup their losses.

yeah, I've seen some guns trying to sell locally for cheaper than dirt prices.

Nice rig Big T.

How's it shoot? And don't try to tell me you don't know.

Haven't shot it yet bro. Believe it or not. Worked late last night, slept in some this morning, back to work now. Probably find out tomorrow.

Looking for scope suggestions and recommendations. SWFA has some appealing packages with a mount, optic, and AR15 pmags, typically priced comparably to just purchasing the same optic outright. Leaning towards a Leupold VX-R, like a 1-4x with a 30mm tube.

Suggestions, recommendations, experiences to share, anyone?

I bought a redfield battlezone for my Fal.

Found out later that it wasn't made in the US like other redfield scopes. Made in the phillipines sticker right on the bottom of the scope. That'll be my last redfield.

While it's a good scope, I hate the dials on them. There is no way to lock them down or put covers over them to prevent you from knocking the adjustment off accidentally and I constantly worry about that.

If I had to go back and do it over again, I'd probably get a Nikon P308 instead.

I've thought of that. Really leaning towards a Leupold with the firedot reticle at the moment.

I got a 16 inch psa ar10 upper and lower with magpul furniture for $730 after shipping and ffl new from them a few months back. Mine had feed issues at first and I had to send it back. I'm a big fan of PSAs customer service tho.. They paid for shipping, fixed the issue, got a detailed response from the gunsmith that repaired it and it's shot flawlessly since.
However, mine left more to be desired in the accuracy department after trying 4-5 different types of store bought ammo from 150-180 grains (hornady sst 150, hornady interlock 165 btsp interlock, federal fusion 180 and 1 or two others). That being said I also bought a cheap 7.62x39 upper from them and it's my most accurate gun at 100 yds lol.
Anyways,
I'd like to get a range report on how yours does. But price wise still sounds like a good trade, so nice job on that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hope you got a good one , I know someone who had the same deal as Theblakester ......same crap accuracy and all , bout 3 moa on its best outing

So, I shot the PA10. Ordered up a QD scope base for it, and a set of 30mm-1" spacers for it, just to mess with it until I decide on/save up for a scope for it. Just chucked a 3-12x Tasco "Target/Varmint" I had laying around. Not the nicest, but it'll work for now. Took the upper off of the lower and pulled the bolt to bore sight it. Got everything lined up, and loaded up some PMC "bronze" 147gr fmj ammo. Best 5 shot group measured at 1.65". Not too shabby for the first time out with a rifle, with a trigger that isn't the best.

So, I made the decision to put a free float tube on it. I found one I liked on amazon for like $75. Guntec, I believe. Made in the USA. Fixed rail on top, modular rails on the sides and bottom. It's made for a DPMS LR308 "low profile" upper, so it should match up perfectly with the rail height on my upper also. Also ordered a low profile gas block for it, in the event I ever want to switch it back (I could cut down the FSB that's on it, and use the existing taper pins to hold it in place, but then if I ever wanted to switch it back to the standard FSB, I'd be trying to locate and drill new holes for the taper pins. Screw that, the low profile gas block was worth it).
The rifle uses a standard AR15 delta ring/barrel nut assembly, so I knew my action wrench would work to remove it. But a quick check of the other side of the wrench (for installing FF barrel nuts, with two pins that engage the holes around the barrel nuts) revealed that the barrel nut for the tube I bought had hole spacing that was just a little wee but too wide to use with the AR15 wrench. Like a quarter of a hole (holes are 3/16") too wide. So, I had to make a tool........ I probably over built the wrench, using 3/8" x 2" steel, considering it only had to work once. But what the heck, I got paid for doing it.......

Pictures to follow tomorrow, seems I'll have to email them to myself, access the site on my laptop rather than Tapatalk on my phone, and post them that way. Going to get some high temp paint to do the barrel, because I don't like the stainless. Planning to bring the upper in and do the work on it tomorrow night.

If you've got room in the oven, Norrells Moly or KG GunKote is a fantastic high heat coating.

It's stood up to the heat on my first suppressor and it handles full auto subgun and regular rifle fire effortlessly. Good stuff.

Oh, there's no problem with putting that stuff in the oven at my house.

Got the tube put on last night at work.
Had to make my own "action blocks" out of slabs of 4x4 lumber, one with a 13/16" hole in it (for action work) and one with a 3/4" hole in it (for putting the flash hider on and off), then split with a table saw.
The wrench I made worked great. Pretty pleased with myself over that one.
Tube threaded right on. The rail on the top of the tube is just a hair higher than the rail on the upper. Literally, a hair. I took the three rail sections off of the 3, 6, and 9 positions on the rail.
I'd say it greatly improved the handling and looks of the rifle. It didn't add or take away from the weight.

Making the wrench on the bridgeport.....
10653529_1949051135320262_3083834624468822673_n_zpsvocddomd.jpg

The wrench on the barrel nut...... made the pins long enough that they engage all the way to the rear face of the nut......
12512715_1949086171983425_7457136403772035835_n_zpssaxd02sg.jpg

You'll have to excuse the cluttered toolbox. I didn't take any pictures of the blocks I made, because frankly, they're blocks of wood with holes bored thru them, then cut in half.

3-9x Simmons scope on there, for a placeholder.

Last edited:
Your tool looks like it worked out great.

I did the "reverse" of that when I made the endcap for my 2nd suppressor so I could use my AR tool to unscrew the cap off so I can clean the baffles.

John-
Yeah, it worked like a champ. Too bad I don't have more AR10s laying around to use it on. I'll hang onto it though. You never know......

Back