1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

AR15 and variants Part 2

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by John A., Sep 21, 2017.

1. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Due to photobuckets recent policy changes and removal of much of the material that has been posted over the years in the prior AR15 and Variants topic (located here: http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/ar-15-and-variants.740/ )

I felt that it was a good idea to archive the material for anyone wanting to look through the topic because there is still a lot of useful material and information there, but to save folks from looking through more than 100 pages of replies that may not include the original photos, I'm starting the AR15 and variants part 2 thread.

I encourage you to upload your photos directly to the thread itself so we're not held hostage by outside sources again so we can continue the discussion and the photos without outside interference.

Colt 013.JPG

Colt 015.JPG
  2. Water Monkey

Water Monkey The man, the myth, the monkey Moderator Supporter

Big fan of my Spikes Tactical Crusader build... MOA rifle all day long (forgive my NY compliance):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Selector switch points to "peace", "war" and "god wills it"
    oli700, Djcala, Rossignol and 2 others like this.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

My Olympic Arms CAR-97...purchased during the Clintonian 10 year Assault Weapon Ban ( 1994-2004 ). Per the law at that time...no bayonet lug and the M4orgery stock was pinned fully extended. On September 13, 2004...immediately changed to a 6 position collapsible stock.

[​IMG]

Shown with Red Dot on the carry handle...and Pachmayr Decelerator® Grips

Selector switch: Safe & Kill only

Nothing fancy...but runs like a raped ape !!
    Sniffler, Diescrap95, oli700 and 3 others like this.
  4. dieselmudder

dieselmudder .30-06 Elite Member "Philanthropist"

I've got one of those stocks in my parts drawer. May put it on an AK in the near future.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I prefer the underfolder stock on my Yugoslavian AK... :cool:

[​IMG]
    Water Monkey likes this.
  6. dieselmudder

Ehhhh...tough to get a good cheek weld. I'll put the M4 stock an adapter on my DDI.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Which Model you got...?

I'm @ the website now... https://www.ddiarms.com/

Destructive Devices Industries, LLC
    DDI Arms
    P.O. Box 14879
    Knoxville, TN 37914
  8. dieselmudder

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

10. John A.

Sounds like you guys have the starting replies for the AK's and variants part 2 topic. ;)

For now, I'm going to try to get back on the AR15 and variants. :D

[​IMG]
    Sniffler, oli700, Ghmann and 2 others like this.
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sorry for the hijack...
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2017
  12. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator Sponsor

I don't have an AR right now but what I really want is an HM Defense rifle. They're made totally in house from start to finish by a former (and still currently maybe?) aerospace factory and they're located just 30 minutes from me so it's a hometown thing for me too. They make every part including a barrel they call the "monobloc" which has the gasblock machined as one piece in the barrel and at the highest point is only .28" tall. They make these barrels both with traditional threads or with the muzzle break machines as one piece as well.

IMG_2027.JPG

This is their basic rifle with an MSRP of $750 but they run sales fairly regularly and most recently had a sale on this same rifle but with a spiral fluted stainless barrel for $550. They make a number of different rifles including billet receivers, .300 blackout, .308, pistols, and soon to come will be a 6.5 creedmoor.

I liked my Olympic Arms rifle but as a base carbine it was $700 and by the time I put on it what I wanted I was in close to a grand and it wasn't as much rifle as the HM Defense.

This is the OA rifle with a couple other things.

32A72F76-B488-46B3-9EB7-AEAA58F19915.jpeg
    Sniffler, Ghmann, Djcala and 3 others like this.
  13. DarkPassenger308

DarkPassenger308 .270 WIN Supporter

Love that gun. I just picked up a Tabuk underfolder from Two Rivers Arms. It's essentially the exact same rifle, but with Arabic engravings.

Back to ARs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  14. Water Monkey

Working on an AR-9 build for my wife.
    John A. and Rossignol like this.
  15. dieselmudder

Been thinking about one. Looking forward to a thread on it.
    Water Monkey likes this.
  16. John A.

I'd like to build an AR in 45acp. Probably won't happen though. They're still in the $800 ballpark.

The 9mm AR's are a lot of fun, and practical too. You guys know me. I love my pistol cal's.
  17. Water Monkey

Hoping to have it done by Christmas.

Trying to keep it in the 6.5lbs range. Really like the angstadt arms jack billet lower. I know I know. I can't help myself.
  18. SWIGIN

SWIGIN .410

This is my hidden kitchen gun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's an 11'' AR .223/5.56 pistol.
  19. John A.

@SWIGIN I appreciate a man that takes his defense seriously. Good idea too.

@Water Monkey , 6.5 pounds will be easy. Especially in pistol form.

I used to use this 9mm upper on my SBR lower, but got tired of switching everything back and forth when I wanted to shoot different calibers, so I built a dedicated lower for it and made it a "firearm".

Loaded mag, 12" integral suppressor, shockwave blade, optic, light, flip sights, heavy 9mm buffer, mag block, the whole enchilada weighs: 7.8 lbs

It's one of my favorite 9mm guns to shoot. And the most pleasant of all my suppressed 9's.

20. Ghmann

Ghmann .270 WIN

Found an excellent deal on a Ruger AR556 MPR. It was on pre order at Sportsman's Outdoor Super Store for $559.99. It's up to $599.99 now tho. This version comes with a free float rail, Magpul furniture, and enhanced two stage trigger. Plus it has an 18" barrel with 1:8 5R rifling. Seemed like a lot of gun for the money, so I am now the proud owner of my 3rd AR.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/199005

My photo does not do it justice. I mounted a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot, and Magpul MBUS back up sights. I can't figure out how to upload photos from my computer, so I'll just use Flickr.
    [​IMG]IMG_2166 by
    [​IMG]