• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Army getting 2 new calibers

I wonder what this will mean for the commodity of "military" cartridges such as 5.56? o_O Will prices go down because of surplus and/or manufacturers not changing over assembly lines to the "new" calibers? Or will prices go up because of line switchover to the new calibers? Or is this just a fad? :D

I wonder what this will mean for the commodity of "non military" cartridges such as 6.5CM? o_O Will prices go down because of surplus and/or manufacturers not changing over assembly lines to the "new" calibers? Or will prices go up because of line switchover to the new calibers? Or is this just a fad? :D

Edited to reflect my question. ;-D

Any time that the military shoots something, the market usually gets pretty saturated, and prices aren't too bad.

Reference 9mm, 223, etc.

Im working on both a 6.5 and 308. Win win!

its just a barrel change , however pressures are very different and might require a heavier buffer and or spring if using on a 308 tuned buffer system . 6.5 is pressure spikie , higher pressure than 308 I believe.

Okay I was thinking that the bolt had to change as well.

I think it's a moot point to me now as Oli700 has changed my mind about the .224 Valkyrie.

I might concentrate on a Valkyrie bolt target rifle. It really looks like the best of all worlds from here.

Precision, Super Range, and 90 grain knock down power. A less expensive bullet with better ballistics.

There's an awful lot to like.

Okay I was thinking that the bolt had to change as well.

I think it's a moot point to me now as Oli700 has changed my mind about the .224 Valkyrie.

I might concentrate on a Valkyrie bolt target rifle. It really looks like the best of all worlds from here.

Precision, Super Range, and 90 grain knock down power. A less expensive bullet with better ballistics.

There's an awful lot to like.
Some folks will change the bolt. Reason being is to obtain a smaller firing pin hole in the bolt face of o combat “cratering” primers due to the higher pressure pushing primer cup back into the firing pin hole upon ignition .

Back