• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Arthritis and Shockwave

I'm sorry if this has been posted before and I missed it, or my searching skills have diminished with age. I've been wanting a Shockwave since they were released but concerned about their recoil characteristics. A few years ago I was involved in a motor vehicle collision which nearly ended my life. Because I had kept my hand on top of the steering wheel during airbag deployment, my right wrist was severely fractured among a host of other massive lower extremity injuries (Lesson that I learned, the Toyota Prius is the natural prey animal to the Chevy Trailblazer).

After all the surgeries were said and done. I've been left with minor arthritis because of how the wrist healed and a partly functioning ulnar nerve. Leaving me with the thumb, index and middle fingers for holding strength. The most potent firearm I own for recoil is the Ruger LCR 357, full powered 158 grain loads will sting for a time after firing an entire cylinder.

Is the Shockwave worse than that little snub nose revolver for most common buckshot loads, or maybe even slugs? If the 12 gauge version is too stout, would the 20 gauge be lesser? I've not fired a 12 gauge since the 80's on my grandfathers Remington Model 10 (Which is mine now and too concerned it's not up to modern ammo capability). I want a Shockwave, but don't want another safe queen because it hurts to shoot. My CZ 75B fall of the Soviet Union edition would become quite jealous if there was competition.

Welcome to the forum.

The SW's grip angle really reduces the recoil effects given that you're forearm is in-line with the recoil forces, unlike a pistol grip which punishes your wrist. Secondly, the strap on the forearm grip allows you to "push" forward which also reduces the recoil efffects. So this push-pull technique really make the SW very manageable.

Yes the 20 gauge recoil will be less than the 12 gauge.

However, ammo selection should also be considered. There are many choices including reduced recoil loads. There are also mini shells which can be used in the 12 gauge with an adapter. These are much lower recoil but a tradeoff in power and shot load.

I suspect you can find a combination of a gun, a shooting technique and different ammunition that will fit the bill. However, there certainly is an after market for Shockwaves so if you need to sell it I'm sure you will have no problem finding a buyer.

Good luck. Regards

In fairness and honesty, given your situation and what I read, I think I would skip any gun that the entire bit of the recoil is going to be distributed directly to your wrist, elbow and shoulders and lower back.

That's the main reason I don't have a shockwave is I'm sure all the tensing up and twisting that my lower back would do when shooting is just going to hurt me.

I'm not going to enjoy shooting anything that jars me too much and it's not worth laying awake at night hurting either.

Before I got hurt, I wouldn't have backed down from hip firing a howitzer. There was no gun that I wouldn't shoot at least once.

Now, I just look at it and shake my head no.

If you really want a shotgun, get one that's shoulder fired. It'll be a lot more manageable for you.

And as Ernst has said, low recoil, low brass, managed recoil, handicap, and whatever other term ammo manufacturers use to describe lower recoil shells don't kick as much.

I would advise borrowing one, shooting it and finding out first hand what you think. Just logic to me. They do bite but there's a right way and wrong way for most machines. FWIW.

I would advise borrowing one, shooting it and finding out first hand what you think. Just logic to me. They do bite but there's a right way and wrong way for most machines. FWIW.

I ended up buying a 12 gauge Shockwave and found it's not as terrifying as the internet made it out to be. Even with arthritis and three good gripping fingers on the right hand, I was more than able to hold onto the firearm when shooting slugs (admittedly, I was nervous to no end when I took my first shot, worried I'd be forcibly kissing the not-a-shotgun thanks to YouTube). The Shockwave is the first firearm in a long time I've felt a rush of enjoyment in shooting. I am quite happy I had purchased it.

Chris, congrats on trying it yourself vice listening to the internet horror stories from folks, the majority who likely have never own, handled or shot a shockwave. The next myth you will likely find untrue is that you can't aim one of these horrible weapons. Again untrue.

Does it take practice? Absolutely!

Again welcome to the forum.

Regards

Last edited:
I ended up buying a 12 gauge Shockwave and found it's not as terrifying as the internet made it out to be. Even with arthritis and three good gripping fingers on the right hand, I was more than able to hold onto the firearm when shooting slugs (admittedly, I was nervous to no end when I took my first shot, worried I'd be forcibly kissing the not-a-shotgun thanks to YouTube). The Shockwave is the first firearm in a long time I've felt a rush of enjoyment in shooting. I am quite happy I had purchased it.

Thanks for updating your experience and happy the SW has worked out for you! :) Welcome Back!

Chris, congrats on trying it yourself vice listening to the internet horror stories from folks, the majority who likely have never own, handled or shot a shockwave. The next myth you will likely find untrue is that you can't aim one of these horrible weapons. Again untrue.

Does it take practice? Absolutely!

Again welcome to the forum.

Regards

Pretty wise post. It will take more than a box of shells to get a good aim. What do people expect? That it will shoot as accurately as a rifle at the same distance? It is what it is.

Back