• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ask the experts?

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Good afternoon everybody!

Once again I come to those of you more knowledgable than myself for guidance. I need help separating hype and gimmick from serious.

Sometime ago I was looking for advice on a firearm to serve as a house gun as my mom is often here alone through the day. She's infirm in some ways. A shotgun is simply too much for her to handle and a semiauto pistol is too many steps to be reliable in her hands. I'm exploring the route of .410 handgun ammo.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen the Hornady Critical Defense 2-1/2" .410 shell? Here's a link and some info;

image.jpeg image.png

http://m.hornady.com/store/410-Bore-CD

The load is stacked much like the Federal TruBall load the way it's stacked with one of the .31 caliber pellets being used like Federals polymer ball. Patterns I've shot look good at 7 yards with all 15 projectiles from a fully loaded cylinder in a palm sized space.

I'm wondering if there are any critiques of this arrangement or the projectiles. It's a slow moving load. Is this any better than a faster load of 3 000 buck? What about that signature looking .41 slow moving FTX Hornady slug with flex tip?

A good friend of mine was happy to burn through about $40 or so of this stuff yesterday.

the numbers aren't impressive but you wouldn't want to be hit with it bottom line ......I think a 22 magnum would be a good option, a nice 38 special
I don't see how a 45 bore can impart spin on a 41 projo

I am a velocity guy though .....if there is a higher velocity option I take it

It looks like one BB is in the rear of the slug, so i'd guess that as it leaves the case the ball, being prepelled from the rear, expands the skirt of the slug so it contacts the rifling..?? Just a wild hypothesis...

I`ve pattern tested a lot options for the .410
I test from 14` and 21`
Winchester`s 2 1/2 000 outperformed both Hornady CD and Winchester`s PDX1 and it`s a good deal cheaper to shoot.

The 000 consistently held 3" patterns at `14
The PDX1 disks were about 5" and the BBs were all over the place.....really disappointing for the cost.
The Hornady CD was in the 3" and 4" , even though it was only slightly out performed by the 000 it lost mostly to cost. PS: I`ve yet to see a decent mushroom out of any of Hornady`s FTX flex tips, shotgun or pistol ammo.

eRlFzPV.jpg

DAOR2Gv.jpg

Why not a Kel-Tec .22-Magum pistol kept loaded and chambered?

Or a .410 semi-auto shotgun?

To me, the whole concept of a Judge or Governor ow whatever wheelgun loaded for .410 shotgun is simply hype and nothing more.

The problem here for my people is manual of arms.

A semi auto anything is going to be too much. The .22 round itself is too small. The wheel gun is easier for her to handle and load with fewer ways to mess up.

I've been trying to settle on something for a year now. It's been trial and error and so far nothing seems right but the issue keeps coming up as we've recently had a few vehicles come down the drive while she's here alone. Some of these have been reported through the county website as scammers while others have stepped out of the vehicle and looked around and then leave once they realize someone is home. One guy showed up while I was home. I could see him through the double doors and he could see me. He didn't get all the way out of his truck but was looking around. I fetched a gun and he jumped back in the truck and backed all the back out of the drive. I was out side before he was half gone and he saw me but didn't stop. That tells me he had no good business being here. I have no trespassing signs posted but they come down the drive anyway. There have been more break ins lately too.

It's enough that she's concerned and wants something but the issue is finding what she can safely handle and cycle. It isn't that she's a complete invalid, just that with the arthritis and other things, she needs something that works with that. She can cycle a hammer and she can work with the size of the shell. I haven't been able to get my hands on a .38 to try yet.

Back