• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ATI AR15 style or CavArms style buttstock/grip

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Good evening.

I was curious how many of you have used the Cavalry Arms buttstock and grip?
http://www.cavalrymanufacturing.com/SST-590.html

From looking at it, the CavArms looks like the buttstock is more straight inline with the barrel, which would help negate recoil in stronger loads, or at least help keep the muzzle lower in comparison to the ATI AR15 collapsible style buttstock that is on it right now.

I could also add a Magpul Moe buttstock (which has a pad) and a Hogue overmold grip to also help lower even more felt recoil.

The setup I have now has been alright for the most part and is actually similiar, but the cav arms has always caught my eye due to the positioning of the buttstock.

I know that ATI is a forum sponsor, and I have several of their products on various guns, and they're also made in my home state, but looking for unbiased opinions between the two.

Thanks for the input.

Well I have not had a chance to shoot the CavArms buttstock but I have seen them in person and they seem to be a quality stock. My only gripe with them was that the angle the stock comes off the back of the receiver caused me to have trouble getting proper sight alignment with the bead sight. Now if you had some raised front sight post like some of the SPX models come with this would be ok. I have been abusing and using the ATI stocks now for a few months and they keep taking the beating! If you look in the ATI section I have posted thorough reviews of them. I try to be as unbiased as possible with product reviews; if I don't like it I will say it directly and vice versa. For instance the first generation ATI collapsible stock was quite disappointing for my needs (great if you want a cool looking stock that won't be seeing any real action) but the new generation ones have certainly proven their durability in my books.

Thanks for the reply.

It currently has a BSA top rail and Bushnell 4 reticle dot on it (although I wouldn't mind an Eotech or Cmor), so the cheekweld probably won't be too much of a change from what I'm used to. The main reason I have a dot on it to begin with is night shooting.

On that same point, I have a light mounted on the Ergo rail forend that I use to pattern 00B up close anyway.

The main reason I was wondering about the Cav stock is it looks to be more inline with the barrel (and if it has less muzzle flip/rise) than the ATI.

Plus with the magpul butt pad and hogue overmold grip I considered adding, should also lessen the felt recoil as well.

A year ago, recoil wasn't even a consideration, but several injuries has forced me to reconsider how I do a lot of things and make some serious life changes accordingly.

With that setup I agree check weld shouldn't be an issue. On a different note getting your barrel ported (both AIMPRO and Vang Comp Systems can do this for you) will help a bit with decreasing muzzle flip and rise with whatever stock setup you go with.

Back