1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

ATI guy!

Discussion in 'ATI' started by RichardL, Jan 23, 2018.

1. RichardL

RichardL .223

A takedown screw for a 10/22....but here's the kicker; extended out and fastened into a short, round knurled vert grip. Mine, I just took a short section of threaded stock (barrel V-block screw) and epoxied it into a short black screwdriver handle. I'd like knurled synthetic to match the standard Rugar synthetic stock. Eliminates a tool for field takedown. Allows me to use a cut down stock with no forearm. Mine's cut 2" in front of the takedown screw. Makes the unbarreled action, receiver and stock fit into a good, small package for stashing or pack carrying. This was long before the takedown model. Mine's smaller.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

:idk:

pics?
    GT_80 likes this.
  3. GT_80

GT_80 .223

Ditto ^ We need pics and did you make one or buy one?
  4. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You can find extended knurled takedown screws on ebay.

Kidd and Tandomkross already make them too.

[​IMG]
  5. GT_80

GT_80 .223

OOh I may have to get one. That's a great idea.
  6. RichardL

RichardL .223

Don't need a knurled takedown screw. I want a premade knurled takedown KNOB. As I said, I have a cut down stock that I use the takedown screw KNOB as a vertical front grip. Think vert front grip attached to the front sling swivel, but attached back on the takedown screw instead. This stock was a broken wood with a destroyed forearm. I cut the stock back and rounded it back off. It ends 2" in front of the takedown screw now. I can mount an Uncle Mike's barrel mount sling swivel and go swivel/vert front grip but I'd rather not attach anything to the barrel....that will put too much force on the V-block.

My first try was a four inch compound bow stabilizer, solid steel, black and sharp knurled. If anyone here recalls the days before ATI and Ebay and NCStar etc, you'll remember that bow stabilizers were the original vertical front grips on AR's and AK's. You still see them around the ranges. The stabilizer was too long for a hicap 10/22 mag when mounted in the takedown screw hole, though. Worked perfectly for the 10 rounder factory mag, but not the extended bananas. I finally settled on a short screwdriver handle. Crank the steel screwdriver into your vise, heat it with a torch, and twist the handle off. Epoxy the V-block screw into it at the appropriate depth.

This stock, I cut back the curved part off the butt/buttplate area. Scribed it across straight and cut it and mounted a generic flat plastic grooved buttplate. That drops almost an inch off the top and bottom corners without lessening the pull length. The cut down stock, again, badly damaged, I then cut the pistol grip (the wood) off to make an English style straight pull....and then added a $6 NCStar hand stop to replace the pulverized pistol grip. This stock sold for $39 on Ebay about three years back. The entire rifle, taken down, fit into an old style 20" triangular Bulldog soft case I had gotten in trade. A few years back, a few of us on one forum or another all tried making up our own idea of a packable survival rifle based on a 10/22. This was mine. It was seriously SIMPLE woodwork that could be done in an evening and turned out pretty smart. It cost me all of maybe $10 and was a really satisfying project.

I've got another beat up wood stock I found in a box in the basement recently. I wanted to do another and do a how to if I get time. Going through some really irritating health probs recently and yesterday, I found out I need surgery to fix my left wrist. When it rains, it pours.

'Scuse the typos, gfellows. Two finger typing here. Fixing typos is making me grit my teeth.
  7. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

If you get a chance to grab some pictures, I'd like to see it.

Sorry about the news about your hand. Anything we can do to help?
    GT_80 likes this.