• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Axes and Hatchets and Machetes rule my life...

Browsed through axes and hatchets last night for awhile. They're like firearms, so many options, and I want them all.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

LOL Diesel, you can get professional help for that itch. I know what ya mean though, it's like women and shoes.

I'd love to have a Gransfors Bruks, or Wetterlings. But for the amount of use I cant justify the price. The Marbles, and Council tool, seem to be pretty good quality.

I'd love to have a Gransfors Bruks, or Wetterlings. But for the amount of use I cant justify the price. The Marbles, and Council tool, seem to be pretty good quality.

Here's the problem, once ya get a good one that makes that sweet,cut... Oh my ya wanna cut more and more and,more wether ya need to or not. Its like hitting a,golf ball just right or that perfect arrow flight. Ya hooked must do,more need more :gift:

I think all I really want now is a good felling axe. I've got the USFS axe for small felling, limbing, and splitting. And the Marbles camp axe for hatchet work. I'm really torn between a single or double bit feller though.

I think all I really want now is a good felling axe. I've got the USFS axe for small felling, limbing, and splitting. And the Marbles camp axe for hatchet work. I'm really torn between a single or double bit feller though.
I struggled that same,question months. Finally took a leap , went double Really happy with that choice. I think I did a small,review earlier. I went budget friendly and again very happy , only major gripe was I didn't like laquer on the handle uugghhh, so I tossed it in,my burn barrel fire till bubbled then scraped and little sanding and lots of BLO, the council Michigan double serves well. I USE my tools so if im,saying it serves it works, not sitting dusty in garage in case zombies come or a EMP etc..... I wanna know what I have ahead of,time ;)0208191348a_HDR.jpg

Those look too small for beaver....What are you trapping?
Good eye caddQ
Bobcat fox and coyote primarily.
About 5 yrs ago, I had a chance for some beaver off of mcasky creek they were literally flooding someone's corn field. I got educated quick bought some conibare traps and musk etc... I,had absolutely zero luck for several weeks even with knowing exactly where they were,.... Frustrated and anxious land owner, sooo I found that night vision and a can on a .22 is the perfect,beaver trap. My friend and I would bust a couple dam areas then set up before dark. The noise of water would bring em and we killed em . 5 beaver in 3 nights the extent of,my beaver adventures. Yes .22 Sub in beaver brain is DRT.

^ Yep, I would expect so.

I remember the first beaver I ever saw. I was fishing in the river below my parents house when I was about 15 years old. About 2AM, I saw something in the distance at the edge of the lantern light, but I thought it was probably just a log.

About 20 minutes later, I had forgotten about the "log" and was sitting there about to nod off and it smacked the top of the water with its' tail and I almost climbed the tree closest to me trying to get away from whatever it was that was after me.

Until that point, I had only seen beavers in books and I had no clue they were in the area.

:lol:

I have the Husqvarna Carpenters Hatchet. It's a big mofo.

How long handle ?? Weight ? Thoughts on packing it when in light quick mode ? Ive read someexcellent reviews on the husqvarna axs, most say they are,either hultsfords or wetterlings, mo info requested. Id really like a woods tomohawk have a small SOG(meh..) BUT reality is my wild Indian fighting days are over :crazy:, if I'm tomohawk fighting my planning sucks and ive been captured and sold to,thunderdome.....
Seriously toms are nice n light and cool,factor but I say limited, hatchet does so much more. Im close to getting a new hatchet type thing, mines not bad but not great, I want better. Both of these are cute, interesting but solutions to,problems i dont have. The Sog lives on a go fast get home bag that's fine. 15497479671398016548909792526921.jpg

Carpenter-Hatchet.jpg

David,

The Husk Carpenters Hatchet would not be my choice for roughing it. It’s heavy enough (2.25-lb) and long enough (19") to get any job done but the straight bit does not chop well at all. I love it for planking and shaving boards though. Great steel from Sweden and it has a very good handle. It will shave. If I have to make a shaped wooden object this would be what I reach for. Really the handle is only for choking up right at the head and the rest of the length is just for balance.

Last edited:
Back