• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Axes and Hatchets and Machetes rule my life...

Today I used the boys axe to buck and limb half of a HUGE Bradford Pear tree that split off and fell in a recent windstorm. It was as quick to cut it at the forks with the axe as I could hope for. Fun to make wood chips! Three inch branches at the joints took three swings to clean. Easy even for this old man!

And then I split some really hard hickory to make grilling wood for BBQ chicken this evening. I love the "CLINK" sound of really hard wood banging together into a pile.

All this talk of wood reminded me that my hoarded Walnut log was not properly prepared yet, so I went out with the mattock and finished debarking the whole log and brought it in on the concrete.

The truth is that I need the exercise, so I did it, but I'll tell you I have a lot of respect for the people that did this stuff in the 10,000 years before power tools.

I'm drenched in sweat with sore biceps, but I have a fine bottled adult beverage and a beautiful wife to console me.

Now I'm planning a setup so I can buck this thing into a relatively straight piece of lumber with my electric chainsaw. I've never cut dry walnut with a chainsaw but I can tell you I'm going to use a lot of oil and it's going to get well sharpened first.

I don't think this log will be big enough to get a single-piece rifle stock out of it unless I am incredibly lucky or willing to accept some filler.

I could make a laminated stock but I need a bigger saw to cut the lams.

I wanted to create a thumbhole stock for my Savage bull-barrel .22 long rifle, but I think I will end up making a parrot head and corn cob set for my Mossberg 500 and maybe Walnut scales for some of my pistols and knives which have plastic scales.

But it's been sort of a dream of mine to carve a rifle stock for that Savage that fits my arm and hand exactly. It shoots so well now I can imagine it will only get better if I have a proper stock under that fabulous Savage barrel & trigger.

Ohhhhh... I have the disease.

I just ordered two U.S. Forest Service axes with 2.25# heads and 28" slender handles.

Sweet Cheese Us, please stop me.

I'm already searching online for the next axe even before the two I ordered arrive.

I've got da' sick..... Somebody help me.

Ohhhhh... I have the disease.

I just ordered two U.S. Forest Service axes with 2.25# heads and 28" slender handles.

Sweet Cheese Us, please stop me.

I'm already searching online for the next axe even before the two I ordered arrive.

I've got da' sick..... Somebody help me.
Everyone has theyre demons at least yours dont rot your teeth make you look 90 and forgo personal hygiene.

I get this disease once in awhile.

I fixate on a Pastime until it starts driving my life.

Fortunately I have several, and I rotate them so life doesn't become too boring.

Gonna say these two US Forest Service Axes that came today are damn nice. Since there are now just FIVE remaining axes like these in the entire world (that somebody can still buy) I am really damn glad I grabbed two of them when there were just seven of them. They are quite similar to the Council Tool standard axe but the USFS apparently specified a "slightly thicker" handle. The USFS steel is superior, and the handle grain is superior, but the Boys Axe has a superbly thin handle.

Make that 4 left ! Theres one headed to la ive been looking at some axes for about a month and everything ive found local at at big orange and big blues stores just made my stomach hurt so far. Thanks for heads up buddy. How long did ya wait for delivery?

I ordered it on a Saturday late night. Left a PM later that night asking them to do their free sharpening before shipping. Got an email on SUNDAY MORNING of all things that they received my request and they would get it done before shipping them. I had the axes at my door on Thursday Morning and didn't pay any shipping cost.

Did you find the few remaining at Omaha Knife where I bought mine? I don't think there are any more anywhere.

ASK FOR THE FREE SHARPENING!

It isn't as good as I can do but it sure saves an hour off my time and the edge they sent can shave.

Yepper omaha knife. Im pretty happy for this ive wanted a decent ax quite sometime and everything ive seen in store has been bleh.

Call them in the morning and request the sharpening at no added cost. It comes seriously sharp! If you want a great mid-weight axe to chop up to 8"~10" standing trees this will do it, and easily limb them and buck them after felling them. What an amazing axe. And a limited edition that only you and a few others can own.

Call them in the morning and request the sharpening at no added cost. It comes seriously sharp! If you want a great mid-weight axe to chop up to 8"~10" standing trees this will do it, and easily limb them and buck them after felling them. What an amazing axe. And a limited edition that only you and a few others can own.
10-4 I just sent them an email asking for the sharpening. Il call them in am to confirm. What a great buy. That hudson bay they have sure looks good too. But i believe this one will do everything i need and outlast me.

The Hudson Bay has a lot less sleeve to contact the handle. The Dayton pattern head on the FSS has a lot more of the head in contact with the haft. Look at the contact that a Dayton Pattern gives you.

You will not regret it, but if you do I will buy it from you because I spoke so highly of it.

I just read the review in rockymountainbushcraft about it sounds awesome. Il pick up some lindseed oil for handle. I didnt order a sheath may need to do that.

Save your money on a $25 sheath. I can give you a PM on how to do some folded metal with a wooden dowel at the fold that is contacting the blade; that costs next to nothing and saves your edge from dimpling when it contacts the stupid rivets of the sheath.

Make that three left, lol. I don't often have a need for a larger axe but have wanted one after the last couple camping trips when my small camp axe didn't quite cut it. Like y'all have stated, the axes I've seen at Lowes and Home Depot left me wanting. When I saw the axe mentioned in this thread and the positive review I jumped on buying one.

Last edited:
Just a follow up i ordered at like 2am after nitrsites suggestion i emailed them at 3am requested they sharpen before shipping. At 730am i received email stating they would gladly sharpen for me before sending it. It is now 11am and i just recieved tracking # that order had shipped. These guys dont mess around. Kudos to them.

Just a follow up i ordered at like 2am after nitrsites suggestion i emailed them at 3am requested they sharpen before shipping. At 730am i received email stating they would gladly sharpen for me before sending it. It is now 11am and i just recieved tracking # that order had shipped. These guys dont mess around. Kudos to them.

You're not kidding! I placed my order shortly before 10AM and also sent them a message to please sharpen it. Exactly an hour later I received a confirmation email regarding the sharpening, and 15 minutes after that, the shipping email. That's quick service!

Damn, they make that too easy. They have one less in stock now.

I did not choose the hand picked option, so I may not have "properly" oriented grain, but doubt I will use it enough for that to be relevant.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back