• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Axes and Hatchets and Machetes rule my life...

DAMN DJ~

That ain't supposed to happen!!! Crap!

If it was me, I would yank out the plastic wedge while you can, and make a better one out of wood then seat the handle deeper and drive in the wedge.

While you can, please send me a pic of the handle while it's out of the axe head. That is really unfortunate but very fixable.

I might even contact Council Tool and request that they send you a replacement Velvicut handle and wooden wedge. They probably would if you ask.

I'm really interested to see the top of the handle where it was supposedly spread by the wedge.

DAMN DJ~

That ain't supposed to happen!!! Crap!

If it was me, I would yank out the plastic wedge while you can, and make a better one out of wood then seat the handle deeper and drive in the wedge.

While you can, please send me a pic of the handle while it's out of the axe head. That is really unfortunate but very fixable.

I might even contact Council Tool and request that they send you a replacement Velvicut handle and wooden wedge. They probably would if you ask.
Il do what you advised. I have absolutely ZERO complaint that lil Ax took a proper thrashing that tree was like hitting cement once about an inch in. I took the bigger collins ax up too and 100% hated it, threw it down quick its a lowes special yellow fiber uncomfy handle Uggh if that was my only tool that rree would still be standing. The Council Ax was a joy to use im sure abit of handle attachment work and all good. Have no doubt that is a family treasure already☺wish id have bought 2.

I'm really interested to see the top of the handle where it was supposedly spread by the wedge.
Im actually in Bama today but il pull it tonight or in the a.m. and send ya a picture. It will also be good time to linseed it again, yes ???

Linseed oil inside the eye isn't necessarily a bad idea if done in real light moderation, but inside the wedge kerf is probably best to help swell the wood. Actually, wood glue is best.

Also, keeping an axe in dry air conditioned environments actually can shrink the handle.

But one way or another I am going to get Council Tool to ship you a new Velvicut handle at no cost to you if you run into unwillingness on their end.

Still, a pic of the handle head would be really appreciated!

Linseed oil inside the eye isn't necessarily a bad idea if done in real light moderation, but inside the wedge kerf is probably best to help swell the wood. Actually, wood glue is best.

Also, keeping an axe in dry air conditioned environments actually can shrink the handle.

But one way or another I am going to get Council Tool to ship you a new Velvicut handle at no cost to you if you run into unwillingness on their end.

Il get pic in morning, this axe lives in the toolbox on back of truck no ac.

Here's my collection...the middle one I made the handle from some pipe and welded the head on....

24000.jpeg

Hi there Rip~

That roofing hatchet on a long handle is intriguing. Great alignment job. Do you split kindling with it? The Fiskars hatchet is VERY popular for good reason!

Hi there Rip~

That roofing hatchet on a long handle is intriguing. Great alignment job. Do you split kindling with it? The Fiskars hatchet is VERY popular for good reason!
I do split kindling with it. But when I made it about 30 years ago, I just made it beacuse I was learning to weld. So I wanted to make something interesting. I suppose it would come in handy in a shtf scenario. It'll never break! Lol

I have plenty of files. That particular one I have a few of em.

Here's post 53.....

Scroll way down and there is an interesting read about treating handles and storing your axes so they will last for a hundred years..

https://thewoodslife.com

Step One – Weatherproof the eye of the ax

Before you address ax handle prep in any way, you’ll want to seal the junction between the head and handle, in order to protect it against moisture. This will prevent the wood from shrinkage and swelling at the eye and keep everything tight. No matter how snug the fit is here, moisture can enter the unprotected wood.

For this job, you’ll need to dip the ax, head down, in a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and kerosene. The kerosene works to thin the oil for improved absorption. A good layer of this oil inside the crevices between handle and eye makes the head far less likely to come loose due to the swelling and contracting of the wood caused by changes in temperature and humidity.

To begin the process, give the head a heavy coat of petroleum jelly to prevent the boiled linseed oil from coating and discoloring the ax. Coat the first three inches of the handle (below the head) as well (this will prevent the wood from absorbing the boiled linseed oil). Take care to not over the gap between head and handle at the top or bottom to allow the boiled linseed oil to soak in. Now, place the ax head down in a bucket of the oil/kerosene mixture, making sure that it’s deep enough to cover the entire head and about an inch of the handle. Leave the ax in the bucket overnight, which is long enough for the wood to absorb the oil completely. Then remove the ax from the bucket, wipe the head and handle clean and rest the ax head down on a piece of waxed paper or aluminum foil. A lot of the oil will drain out of the head/handle joint over the next few hours and you don’t want to get it everywhere. Check the ax occasionally and if you see a puddle, wipe it up. After an hour or so, wrap the handle in a paper towel and turn the ax right side up to allow any oil to drain out of the bottom of the head. Once drained, wipe everything dry. Depending on the humidity, the oil will fully cure in a week or so.

Step Two – prep and protect the handle –

Time spent prepping and sealing the handle will make a real difference in how long the handle lasts and how comfortable it is to swing. No ax brand I know of delivers their products with this job done completely (or at least to my satisfaction). Let’s look at the handles provided by the manufacturers of modern axes.

Most “hardware grade” axes are delivered with varnished or polyurethane coated handles. These hard, slick coatings must be removed as they make for a blister causing ax. Some makers, such as Council Tool, offer their axes with lightly waxed handles. This is a far better finish than the slick, sealed finishes. However, most factory waxed finishes are too light to offer much in the way of real water resistance and even if the wax were heavily applied, it does little to prevent the wood from drying out. The ideal finish should offer good long-term water resistance and condition the wood. The only finishes I know of that do that are oil finishes. Oil keeps handles in top shape, resists moisture and allows you to feel the texture of the wood without causing blisters as you swing the ax. Though oil finishes offer good protection most of the time, if you carry your ax in predominantly wet regions, you may want to apply an oil/beeswax mixture to the wood. The wax offers better water resistance than oil alone.

Gransfors Bruks stands out for being the first modern company to fit their axes with linseed oiled handles. From the beginning, company owner Gabriel Branby made a commitment to provide his axes with straight-grained, hand-rubbed, oil finished handles. The result of Branby’s raising the bar on ax handle selection and finishing is that it forced competitors to improve their products as well. Today, all of the boutique ax makers provide markedly better handles than they did a decade ago. Still, even the boutique axes, including Gransfors Bruks, require additional weatherproofing work on their handles. Here is what I do –

d) Apply a finish to the handle

Even if I plan to use an oil/beeswax finish, I start by giving the handles several coats of raw linseed oil (food-grade flaxseed oil). Warm about four or five tablespoons of the oil in an iron vessel until it just begins to smoke, then rub it into the handle with a rag. Do not immediately wipe off the excess oil. Allow at least an hour for the oil to fully soak into the wood. Before applying the next coat, wipe the handle down. At least three or four coats should be rubbed into the handle, repeating the applications over the next couple of days. Once the handle begins to take on a soft sheen, you’ll know that it has been fully saturated with the oil.

e) Protect the cut ends

Handle treatment is not done until you’ve sealed the cut ends of the handle. This step is important. On many old axes, you’ll discover that the ends are often checked and cracked. That’s due to water penetrating the fibers of the wood over time. No amount of oil or wax will do the trick here. You’ll want to completely seal the ends with an impenetrable finish. For this purpose, I use Tried and True Varnish Oil. This product is a completely natural linseed oil and pine resin varnish. In Europe it’s known as hard oil. The formula is actually coachmaker’s varnish, a product dating from the 1850’s. Varnish Oil produces a highly durable finish that soaks deep into the grain of the wood to seal completely, leaving a flexible, semi-gloss sheen. The maker claims that Varnish Oil is for indoor use only but I’ve found that it works fine for this purpose. The stuff is expensive ($18.00/pint) but is applied in very thin coats, so a little goes a long way. At the eye, I use a foam brush to apply a coat thick enough to fill the spaces between the eye and the head. On the bottom, I apply a thin coat. Allow the oil to absorb for an hour before wiping completely dry and buffing with a soft cloth. Let this cure for at least 24 hours, then burnish with #0000 steel wool. Repeat at least three or four times for full, long-term protection.

Note: I’ve experimented with Howard brand Butcher Block Conditioner on handles in place of my homemade compound with good results though the product doesn’t have as much body. It soaks into the wood readily and is easy to apply.

Handle maintenance

After this initial prep and treatment, wood handles should be oiled at least twice a year or more if you live in an arid climate. If the ax has been carried for long periods in rainy or wet snowy conditions, allow the handle to dry for several days before re-oiling. To clean a dirty handle, sponge it with a mixture of Murphy’s Oil Soap and water, allow to dry, then reapply the raw linseed oil. Reapply a coat of varnish to the top and end of the handle occasionally.

Step Three – Protect the ax head –

The chief enemy of an ax head is rust. Protect it by applying a coat of the magical mixture. First, rub the ax head with a light machine oil (I use Ballistol), then heat the linseed oil/beeswax compound to soften it and apply a coating to the head. Upon cooling, the wax will harden a bit, leaving a protective coating on the steel.

Storage

After you’ve worked so hard to get your ax in shape, you’ll most likely want to hang it above the fireplace like a trophy fish. And no doubt it would look great there, especially in a log cabin. However, you DO NOT want to store your axes indoors in a dry location. The constant lack of humidity will cause the handle to shrink enough to become loose. It’s best to keep axes in a shed or garage, protected from moisture but still subjected to humidity and changes in temperature.

In closing

There will be some who won’t go to all this work for an ax. Axes are not valuable to our daily existence like they once were and do not merit the same kind of care they were given in the past. Yet, there still exists a small cadre of serious ax users that use and depend on their wilderness ax. And there are the cabin builders and other craftsmen who use fine axes to shape wood. These folks always take the time to properly prep and care for their axes. If prepped correctly and cared for, a fine ax can be passed down for generations. Yours could too.

Ok literally midnight just rolled in from Center Alabama, LOVE 2.36 a gallon fuel ☺. Here are handle pictures head off. @nitesite Tired as heck, bed calling. Goodnight20180709_235205.jpg 20180709_235215.jpg 20180709_235218.jpg 20180709_235231.jpg 20180709_235241.jpg

When I was growing up, and before I was allowed to shoot anytime I wanted to, the ax was my stress reliever. I'd have something bugging me and I'd chop away until it wasn't bugging me anymore. It often didn't take long I'd be laying on the ground beside the half chopped in two tree with my tongue hanging out.

I admit that I do like my old Sheffield machete.

My youngest son bought me a Chinese knockoff of the Sheffield complete with super cheap plastic handle that I bet wouldn't last a whole day in real world use. I've been considering making a REAL grip for it from some old hickory or oak that's laying around. But since the handle is so cheap, I question the temper of the blade too.

Come to think of it, I've had that old Sheffield since my Grandmother gave it to me when I was about 9 years old. And who knows how old it was even then. It's been a good one for sure.

DJ~

If you can carve down the shoulder where the head bottoms out and let it drop another 1/4"~3/8" then you could drive a custom wooden wedge into that kerf and leave it standing proud out of the top of the eye as it should have been.

If that doesn't hold, send your pics to Council along with a letter that this was a new axe.

I'll help any way I can.

DJ~

If you can carve down the shoulder where the head bottoms out and let it drop another 1/4"~3/8" then you could drive a custom wooden wedge into that kerf and leave it standing proud out of the top of the eye as it should have been.

If that doesn't hold, send your pics to Council along with a letter that this was a new axe.

I'll help any way I can.
Il do that , seems good plan. Ive no issue with the council folks great product love it 100%, i dont mind a lil adjusting etc...

I do know DJ that cutting down that tree was a much better "feel" with a good axe compared to a cheap hardware store version.

Back