• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel Problem

TNSAF

.22LR
My new 590A1 has some spot rust inside the barrel, towards the muzzle that I can see, not sure if there more elsewhere. Whats the best way to get this off?

Secondly, is using a copper bore brush going to damage my barrel? I read something about barrels getting "pitting" in them and I don't want that to happen. How do I prevent that? Thanks!

I would give Mossberg a call and see what they can do about getting you set up with a new barrel. There are ways of repairing this, but if it was a new in box gun when you got it, there is no reason they shouldn't make it right for you. If you bought it used then you may be having a gunsmith looking at it. While it could be as simple as surface rust, with something like the inside of a barrel you don't want to mess around. It could affect accuracy and lead to a potentially dangerous over pressure issue when shooting.

Here is a photo.

Is this rust or is it residue from something they put ion the barrel before shipping? I'm new to all this. Is this something unusual or is this normal in a brand new gun and can be cleaned out?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Barrel 1.jpg
    Barrel 1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 433
  • Barrel 2.jpg
    Barrel 2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 433
If it were me, I would just see what Mossberg will do for you and then make a decision based on their response. If you are really intent on just doing a fix get some Blue & Rust Remover from your local gun store, but you're leaving your barrel in a state where the rust can come back and/or spread in the future.

To me, it looks like rust, but without seeing it first hand I can't say for sure. It looks like surface rust from being stored in a humid environment ... Again, I would call Mossberg customer support and explain it to them and maybe get an e-mil address you can send your pictures to and see what they say. Beyond what I've said so far there isn't much else I can do for you.

When did you get the gun ?

Was it new when you got it ?

Have you scrubed it with solvent and oiled it ?

No, a copper brush wont harm your barrel

I got the gun 2 weeks ago, it was brand new in the box, and I haven't cleaned it yet. If it is surface rust, and I do clean it off with solvent or something.....am I more likely to get rust again now that there has been some?

I would say it is not rust. Scrub it with a brass/copper brush soaked in gun solvent, oil after solvent use. If you are having problems getting it off, you can try a brass brush attached to the end of a drill. Don’t call Mossberg over this, especially if you haven’t cleaned the gun yet. Report back here with your results.

Any gun is susceptible to rust unless you take care of it. Keep it oiled, esp if storing for long periods, and you should be fine.

In this case I would keep going over the problem area until you no longer see any thing on the barrel or the cleaning cloth. Give it one last swipe to leave a little oil on it and call it good.

Thanks for the input everyone. I took my gun to a Mossberg approved dealer today after calling Mossberg and sending them the photos. First they wanted me to ship the barrel to them in Texas, but after they found out I'm Canadian they directed me to the nearest dealer they work with. The gunsmith explained the rust color as a chemical, and the straight lines I can't remember what he said those were, but he said it would be fixed with a simple cleaning and he took it in the back and cleaned out the barrel for me and it looks perfect now. Thank God.

I should be a gun smith.....and I wouldn’t worry about the dull reamer marks, shouldn’t affect patterns or accuracy just looks like crap........

I would like to see pics of the barrel now that it has been handled by the gunsmith...any chance ?!

Here is the before picture:

Here are the after pics:

Attachments

• P1040223.JPG
    P1040223.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 365
  • P1040250.JPG
    P1040250.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 365
  • P1040244.JPG
    P1040244.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 365