1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Barrel questions

Discussion in 'Mossberg MVP Bolt Action' started by FlashThunder85, Feb 7, 2020.

1. FlashThunder85

FlashThunder85 .22LR

Hey Guys,

I have an early model MVP Predator in 5.56mm. I have never had an issue with it, Id say the closest thing to having a problem was finding ammo that the gun fired accurately. AE red box, 55gr. 223 and Winchester Varmint-X rounds are most accurate and I can fire them all day and the rifle is a tack driver. I live in the NE US and have only tested it out to 200 yards. Being that mine is an early model, the barrel is 20"question, unthreaded "sporter" style. My question is, has anyone ever tested the 20" sporter to compare against the 18.5" med bull barrel? What are the differences? Ive noticed that the medium bull barrel is a 1/8" thicker diameter at the muzzle. Is that little bit really enough to make a difference?
    askme12 likes this.
  2. askme12

askme12 Copper BB

Also interested to know the answer to this question... Also if you ended up finding a different Mossberg MVP barrel in the same caliber could you swap them?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    meanstreak likes this.
  3. alphasig

alphasig .22LR

I can answer the changing of barrel part. I bought a new mvp predator in 224 val. It took a 12 ton press with 4ft cheater barrel. But was able to get it off. I’m still waiting on the new 6.8 spc ii barrel from Columbia River arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    meanstreak likes this.
  4. askme12

askme12 Copper BB

I was thinking it might be easier for my situation to just buy another MVP with the barrel I want in the same caliber and swap out the entire action/barrel. I like the idea of the patrol barrel with the iron sights on the MVP Flex stock to create basically a take down patrol/scout rifle.

meanstreak likes this.
  5. alphasig

alphasig .22LR

Doing something like that wouldn’t be that hard. I think there was just 3 screw holding the action to the stock.

meanstreak likes this.
  6. askme12

askme12 Copper BB

That's what I was thinking. You would assume that the screw placement and fit is the same across the MVP line between actions and stocks.

meanstreak likes this.
  7. alphasig

alphasig .22LR

One would assume. But I would just take a tape measure and measure the hole placement and compare to yours. Just to make sure before you purchase.

meanstreak and askme12 like this.