• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bayonet mount for 500?

RICK61799

Copper BB
Does anyone know of a good, solid way to mount a bayonet on a 500? The 500 doesn't have the traditional bayonet lug mount. I have a short tri-picanny rail mount I can wrap around the mag tube and I've seen the handgun style bayonets that might mount to that. I didn't know if this would work and be solid. I also was wondering if anyone else has done this and/or knew of a way to mount it solid. Any help is appreciated. The gun is a 18-1/2" barrel with pistol grip. It's strictly for home defense and I'd like the bayonet for back-up "just-in-case". Thanks :)

Rick

Hey there RICK61799, welcome to MossbergOwners.com! Please feel free to stop by the New Member Welcome Area and introduce yourself. Also, be sure to check out the Forum Rules and Guidelines and Search Feature posts to get the most out of your experience here. Again, welcome to the forum!

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe you can swap out a 590 barrel and mag tube onto a 500. You'll have to search around, I will as well in a little bit, but I know the subject has been covered some where on here. IF it is possible, you'd just have to throw a 590A1 barrel and mag tub on that had the bayonet mount.

Check out the Interchangability thread. That should help you get in the right direction.

I think part of the rational for the heavy barrel on the 590 was to support bayonet use, so rigging one to a 500 barrel might not be as good a solution as getting a 590 barrel, which might set you back some money.

My backup is a fat-bullet revolver. The training DVDs I`ve seen cover transitioning from shotgun to handgun. Not too complicated: Suarez makes it look easy to toss the shotgun over your head and let the sling catch it as you draw your handgun.

Thanks guys. I just joined today, so I didn't have time to look around all the topics. I asked the question on the Mossberg FB page and was directed here. I'm sure I'll spend days looking and catching up the forums. I only own Mossberg shotguns and they all work great. I would probably just go ahead and buy a 590 or other model if I had to buy the barrell and mag tube. It would be nice if I could just get away with the mag tube, cause I'd like to get an extended mag for it anyway. I'll keep looking and if you see anything let me know. Thanks. Much appreciated!

Hi Rick! Welcome to MO!!!

I've been doin some searchin. S&J Hardware is one of a few that make an aftermarket bayonet lug. The problem however is that on shotguns, the end of the magazine cap is what hold the ring of the bayonet while the end snaps onto the lug.

The 500 magazine doesnt allow for the ring of the bayonet nor does it allow for the alternative which would be to add a magazine extension that could.

It works fine for something like the 930, or Remington... not as much on the 500.

So, you could get the magazine and barrel of a 590, 590A1, or even an 835. You would need a magazine tube extension on a 5 shot model if you'd want the end of the bayonet to be out and infront of the barrel.

Or... for the price, youre getting close to the cost of another firearm...

Sorry the news isnt better man.

Welcome Rick! I'm still getting caught up on all of the posts on this board. There is a lot of great people on this board with a wealth of info. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Back