• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bead sight for for HD ?

Is it better to have rifle sights / LPA ghost ring than a front bead sight for home defense?

The reason I am asking is I sort of like the 930 combo better than the SPX because I can use it for clay / trap shooting, but I'm not so sure about using a bead sight for HD...

The simplicity of a bead makes it ideal for quick target acquisition when bustin clays. The same principle applies for HD and a Meprolight front bead would make a lot of sense for low light scenarios. My preference is GRS, but only because I've spent way more time shooting ARs than shotguns and the GRS feel more natural to me. Whether bead or ghost rings, I would suggest using what you are most comfortable with and you practice with the most.

I like bead sights. Theyre practical in most all situations and completely natural to shotguns! Rifle sights are nice too, and I'm certain the LPA's (or GRS) are great too... a bead is just simple and natural with no adjustment to cheek weld and as long as it can be picked up quickly its hard to beat.

I also have a Meprolight bead, its been great and the only learning curve was that due to the higher profile I found I had to cover the target a bit more. Each gun shoots a bit differently so results could be different.

Check out this thread on bead sights;
Shotgun Bead Sights

Rossignol said:
I like bead sights. Theyre practical in most all situations and completely natural to shotguns! Rifle sights are nice too, and I'm certain the LPA's (or GRS) are great too... a bead is just simple and natural with no adjustment to cheek weld and as long as it can be picked up quickly its hard to beat.

I also have a Meprolight bead, its been great and the only learning curve was that due to the higher profile I found I had to cover the target a bit more. Each gun shoots a bit differently so results could be different.

Check out this thread on bead sights;
Shotgun Bead Sights

Very good advice here! Iam a bead sight man myself, I am currently using the meprolite bead and really love it also. Ghost rings are very nice, but I still prefer the bead.

C0untZer0 said:
Is it better to have rifle sights / LPA ghost ring than a front bead sight for home defense?

The reason I am asking is I sort of like the 930 combo better than the SPX because I can use it for clay / trap shooting, but I'm not so sure about using a bead sight for HD...

I like ghost rings on my ARs, the SPX, a standard 590, etc. They work well across the board except for longer ranges, and work very well for in close.
For real close, shotgun type stuff I haven't found anything that beats an XS Big Dot trit bead. It is awesome, and very intuitive to shoot. Easy to pick up in any light condition and very fast to shoot.
Here is a pic from yesterday afternoon. Bright enough outside to wash out an EOThingy on nukular setting. This was taken with a cell phone camera, several feet away from the muzzle. You can still easily pick up the Big Dot.

196069_367193950002236_552148417_n.jpg

Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the GRS, and they have been put to use around the world to hand out dirt naps. Just saying the Big Dot is a great up close sight as well.

Back