• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Beez SBS scabbard for a Shockwave

DarkPassenger308

.270 WIN
Supporter
Greetings all. Posting this review for people that are interested in shotgun scabbards for a 590 Shockwave.

I bought the Voodoo Tactical and can't really use it for my specific needs. It left the trigger guard completely exposed, the firearm's grip sat too low on my shoulder to easily reach, and the whole rig shifted around too much on my back while hiking through the woods. I found I was constantly holding the strap, the muzzle end of the scabbard, and even the grip of the gun while stepping over fallen logs, etc.

The Voodoo can still be a pretty good scabbard for a truck gun or whatever. But I can't use it as a serious, all-day carrier in the woods or while casting a fishing line.

I purchased the Beez Combat "Short Barreled Shotgun" scabbard and am extremely pleased with it. At just over $100, it isn't exactly cheap, but it fits my needs perfectly.

It wears just like a backpack. The pouch itself is narrow at the muzzle end and wider at the opening. This allows you to choose either the left or right shoulder to draw from, with the grip pointed either direction. The pouch has enough compression on it to keep the gun wherever you originally holstered it (when the straps are cinched down around your shoulders and waist). When not being worn on your back, the grip can slide to either end of the opening and is generally pretty loose in the scabbard. So the Beez wouldn't be a good choice for off-body carry, in my opinion.

I really like that it lays very flat against my back. The Voodoo has a bulky, round shape in comparison. The Beez allows me to wear a regular backpack over the top of the scabbard, which is a major plus for my specific needs.

The Beez scabbard also stays very secure when drawing the firearm, which is another major plus over the Voodoo. After lots of practice, I was consistently able to draw and fire in about 3 seconds (from a loaded chamber, safety on condition).

Overall, I found it very unobtrusive and surprisingly comfortable. I wore it for about 6 hours and kept it on while shooting other handguns and rifles, just to see how it felt after a full day. I'm going to add some velcro loops to tidy up the loose ends of the various straps while I'm wearing it, but besides that, it was perfect out of the box.

I practiced a ton of draws and re-holsters and learned to love it compared to other carry methods I've tried. Drawing a shotgun from any rear-mounted scabbard is going to be an awkward movement compared to a 2-point sling from a low-ready, and this was no exception. It's going to take a lot of practice before I'll be able to confidently say "yeah, I can do this in front of a bear without having to think about it."

One thing I realized is that drawing up over my shoulder and catching the swinging gun with my waiting support hand is pretty natural. But it is also very tiring. It's fine the first dozen times, but by the 20th draw, both arms were pretty tired from swinging a 6 lb firearm like a pick axe and then catching it mid-swing. Video below is one of my smoother draws and was after god-knows how many practice runs off camera. You can tell my arms are getting tired...

It's a great little scabbard for the Shockwave and I highly recommend it to anyone that needs to wear one on their back for long hours while fishing, hiking, etc. It wouldn't be my first choice for a truck gun scabbard, or even an emergency grab-and-go scenario. Too many straps hanging all over the place if you're not wearing it properly.

Speaker/headphone warning for the video: Lower your volume before clicking the first video link!

EurvXuL.jpg

1hbUq5W.jpg

zCCo8Sq.jpg

SUpSKlA.jpg

Last edited:
No, it surely isn't cheap.

But, with the design, looks like it's more versatile than a "plain" scabbard too, and it looks like it's worth the asking price.

Lord knows I've wasted more money on less.

Review, photos and video nice done!

And that is some fine looking country too!

Thanks. It's a beautiful little mountain just a 45 minute drive from Seattle. It takes another 45 minutes to drive up the trails all the way to the top. I have some steel gongs setup at various distances all the way out to 600 meters. It's a quick and fun escape from the insanity of Seattle life.

Thanks for the review. I also have the Voodoo scabbard, and my assessment is the same. I use it as a protective cover, but as far as using it for carrying, it doesn't work well at all.

I noticed that the "hook" on the end of your grip aided you in your draw by giving you a solid grip without slipping. Nice.
Yep! Wish I could claim I was smart enough to have planned it that way. But I ain't gonna complain with the results. The finger grooves really helped me find the perfect grip as I was drawing, too.

Yeah, the grip is awesome.

It's how they should come from the factory.

So I'm just seeing this and I really like it! Definitely pricey but just as John has said, I too have spent some $$$ on stuff. And if it works, even better.

Looks good with the back pack too. Speaking of which, what backpack is that and what is the knife too?

Real good pics and video!

So I'm just seeing this and I really like it! Definitely pricey but just as John has said, I too have spent some $$$ on stuff. And if it works, even better.

Looks good with the back pack too. Speaking of which, what backpack is that and what is the knife too?

Real good pics and video!

Thanks. The backpack is made by Cannae. Called the "Legion Day Pack". It was held in pretty high regard by a SERE instructor I know based at Fairchild AFB, so that was all the endorsement I needed when I was shopping for a wilderness bag. I have absolutely zero complaints with it. It fit really well over his plate carrier, so I figured it might fit equally well over a flat-ish scabbard.

The knife is an ESEE 4" and on the opposite side is an ESEE Junglass (only the sheath is visible in one of the pictures). They didn't serve any purpose in this scabbard test other than to add some extra weight to the backpack. The Junglass is a massive knife and serves as my camp/cabin machete. I don't typically carry it with me out in the field unless I plan on cutting new trails. The 4" blade goes with me everywhere I go, city or woods.

The Junglass is a massive knife and serves as my camp/cabin machete. I don't typically carry it with me out in the field unless I plan on cutting new trails.

Not to hijack the topic, but my favorite camp knife is a Buck 184.

I don't mean one of the cheap Chinese copies. I mean one of the originals from the 80's.

It's a beast.

Not to hijack the topic, but my favorite camp knife is a Buck 184.

I don't mean one of the cheap Chinese copies. I mean one of the originals from the 80's.

It's a beast.

It's a beast with a nasty bite for sure. Gotta ask: Did you ever bite your wrist with it? I was but a young'n in the 80s and my mother wouldn't have dreamed of allowing me to own such a knife. I was lucky to own a 110 back in those days. I have fond memories of lusting after the 184.

That’s an awesome review.
From draw to first shot looked to be 2 seconds or less. Your training paid off.
I see where the waist band on the scabbard stops all the wobble and the scabbard isn’t fighting you on the draw like the Voodoo. I’m also impressed in the way you can carry your backpack on top of the Shockwave. Everything is compact and secure.
You did a great job on everything, including the video and photos.
Now, how about a picture of Shockwave #2 with Cerakote? Then we will let you go to Alaska....:cheers:

No, the grappling hook spikes unscrew and can be stored in the handle.

I leave the bottom one on as a guard, the top one, I leave in the handle.

Or, you can turn the spikes around and screw them in the opposite direction and the bottom one would act as a blade breaker if you were sword fighting with it. There's just enough room to let the opponents blade slide between the spike and your blade, and a quick twist, may just snap their blade off or take it out of their hand.

Very handy knife for sure and well thought out design for a combat knife.

buck 184 002.JPG

buck 184 003.JPG

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program ;)

Thats a nice scabbard! looks really handy.

Thanks. It definitely is a handy piece of kit for anyone that needs to carry a Shockwave for several hours.

Speaking of which, I only bought one since I wasn't sure how well it would fit me or the gun. My brother will be fishing/hiking with me and will be carrying my 2nd Shockwave, so I need something for him, too. I was originally planning on using a simple 2-point sling, but I had a Eureka moment yesterday.

My Cannae backpack has a built-in pouch for a hydration bladder. It's a separate compartment (which is important for trigger safety) and it just-so-happens to be the proper depth for a Shockwave. So the backpack will function as its own scabbard if I don't put my 2-liter pouch in there at the same time. I'll upload a picture into this thread later on today.

Back