• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Beez SBS scabbard for a Shockwave

For those that are interested, the Cannae backpack works as a pretty reasonable scabbard right from the get-go.

If I were hiking/fishing solo, I'd wear both the Beez and the Cannae while traveling, then just the wear the Beez while fishing.

But at least this way my brother and I will both be able to comfortably and securely carry shockwaves on our backs. I'll just have to deal with putting my hydration pouch into a different interior pocket while carrying the gun in the Cannae.

Forecast is calling for rain next week, so I thought I'd throw some sticky tape on the wood grip, just in case. I like the looks of the wood too much to use tape full time.

c8480392effb12aa819ad51819eca128.jpg

76afe670e178a6a6395c1714900787d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Greetings All.

I just got back to civilization and figured I'd post an update on the Beez. It worked great, as did the Cannae. I traversed some 30+ miles on foot and never once had to fiddle with a shockwave. It stayed where it was supposed to, was comfortable all day (as comfortable as a 6lb firearm can be, at least), and was securely tucked out of the way, yet still accessible if needed.

We didn't cross paths with a bear, fortunately, but found bear signs all around us every day. I'm sure they heard us coming thru the woods and kept their distance.

The trail camera in front of my cabin showed a grizzly by the front door 2 months ago. 4 different brown bear sightings in August. There was an almost nightly visit from a male black bear, but he never tried to get into the cabin, and we managed to sleep through his patrols. Also captured a pic of a Lynx, a few wolves and a wolverine.

It was a fantastic trip and I enjoyed my time off the grid with my family. Caught a bunch of fish and harvested a few grouse for some variety on the dinner menu.

Jl7Rs9T.jpg

That moment you step over a pile of bear shit and realize you're traveling perpendicular to a very active game trail. Time to pay attention to your surroundings:

ZK8EseU.jpg

Cabin needs a new roof, so I'll probably have to spend 3 or 4 weeks up there next summer to replace it. Gotta replace the chinking, too. The cabin is 65 years old. Everything has to be flown in on a charter plane, so I need to plan repairs and materials carefully. It would be an absolute shame if I let it fall into disrepair with a view like this of McKinley from its front door:
dyCSFDA.jpg

lQEeBiE.jpg

Found an old C-47 crash that was salvaged for parts and turned into a makeshift storage container by someone. I recorded the tail number and am researching its history. Looks like it's been there for a very long time.
zSCN9gM.jpg

Last edited:
Jason, after seeing these pictures, and reading your report, I can more fully understand your love for your place. You are truly blessed. The view of McKinley is spectacular. It must take your breath away every time you step out the door. We are all glad to hear you aren't a pile of bear dung. :laugh: I have a fond recollection of C-47's. That was the first plane I flew on after enlisting in the Air Force in 1966, and on takeoff, my seat back fell completely into the guys lap behind me. Later, I got to watch them work out as Spooky gunships over the rice paddies in Nha Trang, Viet Nam, (68-69). I am so glad to hear your scabbard and backpack met your expectations. Travelling can be a real pleasure when your equipment performs to your satisfaction. I wish I could sit down with a couple of beers and hear about your daily adventures. What did you shoot the grouse with? One more thing, your cabin is awesome. I'm sure when you get started on repairs, it will be a labor of love. How did you ever find this piece of land? Do you go there often in the winter?
Too many questions....sorry. Congratulations on a great trip. :yourock:

Jason, after seeing these pictures, and reading your report, I can more fully understand your love for your place. You are truly blessed. The view of McKinley is spectacular. It must take your breath away every time you step out the door. We are all glad to hear you aren't a pile of bear dung. :laugh: I have a fond recollection of C-47's. That was the first plane I flew on after enlisting in the Air Force in 1966, and on takeoff, my seat back fell completely into the guys lap behind me. Later, I got to watch them work out as Spooky gunships over the rice paddies in Nha Trang, Viet Nam, (68-69). I am so glad to hear your scabbard and backpack met your expectations. Travelling can be a real pleasure when your equipment performs to your satisfaction. I wish I could sit down with a couple of beers and hear about your daily adventures. What did you shoot the grouse with? One more thing, your cabin is awesome. I'm sure when you get started on repairs, it will be a labor of love. How did you ever find this piece of land? Do you go there often in the winter?
Too many questions....sorry. Congratulations on a great trip. :yourock:

Thanks!

Yeah, the DC-3 / C-47 is a helluva good airplane. I recently got to for a ride in American Airlines' restored DC-3. I won a raffle ticket to ride in the cockpit jump seat during takeoff. That reminds me. I haven't said it before now: Thanks for your service, Rico.

yexVo9e.jpg

As for the grouse: My Ruger 22/45 Lite with Sparrow and red dot. It makes easy pickins of anything inside of 50 yards. Grouse ain't the smartest chickens in the coop, so that's why I used the word "harvest" instead of "hunt". They'll perch on a stump all day long and patiently wait for you to shoot. You'd have to try really damned hard to starve to death in those woods.

As for the piece of land: My wife's family homesteaded it back in the 60's. It was used as a year-round permanent residence for a while, despite not having electricity or water.

Only been up there once during late winter / early spring. It's a bit challenging to visit during the winter because of the unpredictable weather and need for charter planes. I could plan a week long trip and end up getting stuck there for 2 months. Not really feasible with a wife and young child waiting for me back home. Temps routinely dip down to -40F and occasionally get down into the -60s. So freezing to death is a verrrrry real possibility if I neglected to cut enough firewood before winter hits. I only cut about 1 cord of lumber this trip. Just a few of the closest trees that could threaten the cabin. Nowhere near enough to keep me alive if I got stuck for several weeks in a -40F storm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the complete review of the Beez scabbard for the short shotgun. I ordered one and amlooking forward to using it for my shockwave. The backpack idea is interesting too. Which model is that please. I notice the pouch you are using is forward of where the straps attach, which does good for holding the gun close to your neck, so you can reach it. I tried a water pouch area on a Code Alpha I have, and it sagged so far back I couldn't reach the gun.
Anyway, great ideas, great pictures (kinda looks like North Idaho in places). Thanks for your help. Rv

Last edited:
The backpack idea is interesting too. Which model is that please.

The backpack is made by Cannae. Model is the "Legion Day Pack". It's a great bag and have no complaints with it. The hydration pouch is separate from the main pouch, and as you pointed out, it's also the closest compartment to your spine. Worked out great as a scabbard because it keeps the firearm completely separated from loose contents in bag that might get into the trigger guard or impede the draw.

Back