• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best for home defense

Now that's interesting. I haven't heard that before. Do you know of any specific instances?

Here is one that I can think of: LINK

An unknown squib load in the barrel of a gun then forced out with a blank killed actor Brandon Lee (Bruce's son). LINK Scroll down to "Death" for details. OOPS, didn't realize LES had already posted about it...

These rounds are essentially small fireworks, made from magnesium shards. These shards burn at around 3000 degrees and WILL ignite just about anything they come in contact with. Considering the melting point of carbon steel is between 2600-2800 degrees, the fun factor may not outweigh the potential damage to a shotgun barrel during use...

On the plus side, these rounds can cook your grub to a nice medium rare along with the kill. Win win. Very utilitarian.

On the negative side, they usually charge you a hefty hazmat fee to ship them. I've never seen them available locally. Take care. Tom Worthington

Here is one that I can think of: LINK

An unknown squib load in the barrel of a gun then forced out with a blank killed actor Brandon Lee (Bruce's son). LINK Scroll down to "Death" for details. OOPS, didn't realize LES had already posted about it...

Thanks for the links. I never heard about the first case. Talk about an unlucky, albeit stupid, way to go. I had heard of Brandon Lee's death before. I've even seen The Crow. I did not know, though, that it was a squib that killed him. I thought it was a live round mistaken for blanks. I guess I was partly right, though.

How about in 20 gauge? Specifically? I've about decided I like the el cheapo 9 pellets of #1 buck found in both RIO and Spartan rounds. I also like the new PDX segmented slugs from Winchester. Those cost double (or more) what the RIO and Spartan rounds do.

There are other premium 20 gauge buckshot rounds out there, but they are never bigger than #2 buck and most are #3 buck. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I favor the #1 buck.

I know, I know. Most anything will do. Just curious about other opinions. Take care. Tom Worthington

Now that's interesting. I haven't heard that before. Do you know of any specific instances?
I can't remember the name of the show, but it was from the 80's. It was a pair of time travelers who used a pocket watch if I recall. An older guy and dark haired younger guy, maybe a teen. Not Sliders. Different shot. The older guy who was the main character was killed by a blank gun to the head if I recall correctly. I will research.

Was the show called Cover Up?

In 1984 Jon-Erik Hexum died of a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head from a .44 magnum blank round. The actor was playing around with the revolver between takes to "lighten the mood on set". He removed all but one of the blanks from the cylinder, spun it and closed it, then in the manner of Russian Roulette he put the muzzle to his temple and pulled the trigger. The hammer dropped on the blank round and the concussion of the powder charge blew a chunk of his skull into his brain causing massive hemorrhaging and death. Another unfortunate on-set accident involving a blank round, but one that occurred due to unsafe and improper handling of the firearm and blank ammunition...

You are correct. That was the guy but the show I watched was called Voyagers. I didn't see Cover Up. I probably saw a repeat of Voyagers or something and my my mom told me he shot himself. Thanks

I have a question, please laugh or look at me weird for asking. I was looking through HD rounds people use and came across a person that said his first shell into the mag was a boom shell which would be the last round fired and he figured if it every came to that round he could it created a load disruption to hopefully allow him a few sec. to reload. Does a boom shell really exist o_O.

I have a question, please laugh or look at me weird for asking. I was looking through HD rounds people use and came across a person that said his first shell into the mag was a boom shell which would be the last round fired and he figured if it every came to that round he could it created a load disruption to hopefully allow him a few sec. to reload. Does a boom shell really exist o_O.

I believe what he is talking about is a noise distraction round. I know Lightfield ammo makes them and they may not be the only ones.

The one Lightfield makes works like a flash bang. A lot of light and a lot of noise. In the dark it's blinding, it fires a jet of flaming gasses from the muzzle. It's best suited for use outside as its likely to catch stuff on fire (possibly) and is in fact lethal at close range.

Among the uses is for animal control officers to deter critters such as bear.

Consider this;
If it disorients a threat, it disorients the user too. It leaves your ears ringing in such a way it takes a moment to recover. Eyes lose focus and are left with a bright streak or burst of light in the center of vision. Try regaining the target quickly. It's not impossible, but difficult.

I have photos somewhere...

Last edited:
I'm thinking these could even be made at home with little difficulty.

I'd rather have an actual round chambered, but if that's the last round in the magazine, you're in a gunfight. I'd practice reloading now, long before getting to that point.

If lack of ammo capacity is a concern, maybe an extended magazine tube or an AR? Or a second gun and if anyone else is in the house, make sure he/she can load and use it.

I believe what he is talking about is a noise distraction round. I know Lightfield ammo makes them and they may not be the only ones.

The one Lightfield makes works like a flash bang. A lot of light and a lot of noise. In the dark it's blinding, it fires a jet of flaming gasses from the muzzle. It's best suited for use outside as its likely to catch stuff on fire (possibly) and is in fact lethal at close range.

Among the uses is for animal control officers to deter critters such as bear.

Conside this;
If it disorients a threat, it disorients the user too. It leaves your ears ringing in such a way it takes a moment to recover. Eyes lose focus and are left with a bright streak or burst of light in the center of vision. Try regaining the target quickly. It's not impossible, but difficult.

I have photos somewhere...
Thank you, my thought was if they are real its got to be a 2 way street sort of thing, that's why LEOs and military throw flash bangs before entering not once all parties are present in the same room.

Back