• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best for home defense

I have stocked up on #4 buckshot and #1 buckshot to feed my 590. I'm thinking mostly outdoor HD with the shotgun. Indoors, I'm going with high capacity 9mm pistols.

We had 12ga noise makers for migratory bird control at a small airport I worked at too many years ago. I don't recall who made them but I do remember that they were not very reliable. The secondary "bang" was 50/50. Was a long time ago though. Probably better products these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always liked the shell full of dimes because you could say the intruder demanded money. Or the buck and ball shell consisting of a .68 cal ball followed by 4 ibuprofen pills, showing compassion.

Just a heads-up, this Hevi-Duty stuff is not what it claims to be.

Tried some of it for a pattern test a couple years back and their 30 pellet #4 buckshot fragmented into almost 200 individual miniscule pellets before it hit my paper test target. The pellets were crushed inside the hull on detonation before the round left the barrel. Went through two boxes of it and every round had the same result. For a defensive load you need a round to maintain mass for maximum energy transfer into your target. The frangible stuff looks like a good idea in theory, but in real world application is about as effective as #8 bird shot...

What is best for home defense in 20 gauge? Try to find 20 gauge buckshot, not many choices.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

What is best for home defense in 20 gauge? Try to find 20 gauge buckshot, not many choices.

What's best is relative to your situation, but my preference is a FliteControl buckshot. Let me check something and I'll be right back.

That's 24 pellets of 4 buck in FliteControl. But in reality, in a home/personal defense situation, most any load of buckshot is going to hold together at close range. But 24 .25 caliber pellets is pretty cool.

I bought a few boxes of Spartan #2 buckshot 20g at Academy before the quit stocking them. One box was marked as 00, but they are definitely not 00. Both the 2 and 00 have 9 of the same size shot.

Recently bought some Rio #2 online but have not tried it.

I bought the 20g so my wife could use it, but finding 20g locally, other that target loads, is difficult.

The Rio and Spartan 20 gauge buckshot loads are all #1 buck. SGAmmo currently has the Spartan in stock. Take care. Tom Worthington

My first Mossberg was a 20G 500 Persuader. I loved it. I found a couple boxes of Federal #4, but that was it. I had problems, back in the early 2000s finding decent defensive ammo, which was the intent of the shotgun I got. I found some specialty 20G ammo, and ordered a bunch but it was backordered for almost a year. I eventually traded the 20G away for a 12G and can find a variety of 12G anywhere, from specified defensive ammo, standard 00 buckshot, slugs, rubber buckshot, low recoil 00 buck, etc. I hope 20G variety has gotten better. But my petite wife is intimidated enough by the 12G she won't even touch it, so I got here a .410 Mossberg 500E, which is no slouch. Thanks to the popularity of the Taurus Judge, there is a bunch of defensive .410 out there, that seems to do really well out of a 18 inch barrel. I like 20G, but the lack of available, diverse ammo did it in for me. I eventually remembered I had ordered the specialty ammo, and called my credit card company who filed a dispute, and that prompted the company to ship it at least. Ended up selling it to my brother, but he rarely shoots, so it should last him a lifetime.

@Sirex
You're definitely right about ammo availability for the 20. It's also gotten better just in recent years it seems, especially with the advent of FliteControl loads. Honestly, war has something to do with it as well.

While there are more options designed to meet the public's wants or needs for a platform not 12 gauge, sometimes finding the stuff can be tricky. If not for internet searches and sales, it would be more difficult. But the stuff is there for the diligent to find.

I know that Hevishot makes a home defense shell but it is a 12 gauge.

Problem with the Hevishot round is its underwhelming performance and higher price tag. It's not terrible on price but since FliteControl has become more prevalent, the cost has decreased and nothing comes close to its performance inside 25 yards. Choked shotguns have a hard time matching it.

I'd be more willing to give the Hevishot another chance but despite press and hype, there's just no evidence that performs solidly.

I'll admit that at close range the Hevishot Duty may meet expectation. Unless the frangible pellets disintegrate first.

Federal flight control 00 buck. ^^^ when you want to maintain control of your pellets and put the somabitch down.

Back