• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best Home Defense Ammo?

EAINC

20g
Been doing some experimenting with some ammo for home defense, In my mossberg i got 6 shots of remington double ought buck low recoil 2 3/4, and 2 slugs if the BG dont get the hint. Tell me what you have, tried, love, and your setup. Would love to try some different types.

Ea, I have a 590A1 20" and have patterned Remington HD, Hornady TAP LE low recoil, Winchester Super X full power and Federal LE FliteControl low recoil. All 00 buck. After patterning each load at several ranges, the Federal LE was the only one I could pattern at 50 yards and I love it! At 25 yards the pattern was about 3" x 3" with the FliteControl wad lodged in the center of my target.

So the Federal LE is my choice! :D

These work best out of just about any shotgun

PD132 00 - 9-pellet - 00 buckshot - Plated - with FliteControl - low recoil - 1145

PFC154 00 - 9 Pellets - 00 Buck - 2 3/4 - 1325fps - Plated - with FliteControl - high recoil

PFC157 00 - 12 Pellets - 00 Buck 3inch - 1325 - Plated - with FliteControl

There are a lot of variables that go into choosing what ammo for home defense but the Federal with flight control are an excellent option.

In the gun at HOME
Federal 2-3/4" Low Recoil 9 pellet 00 Buck w/ FliteControl x2
Federal Tru-Ball 2-3/4" Low Recoil 1-oz Slug x5

In the gun at WORK
Federal Tru-Ball 2-3/4" Low Recoil 1-oz Slug x4
Also two more Federal Tru-Ball LR slugs plus three Federal LR FC Buckshot on side carrier

In the home 590 I train to quickly shuck the first two out and get right to the slugs unless my threat assessment dictates really needing buckshot. I just prefer slugs whenever possible.

Federal Tru-Ball 2-3/4" Low Recoil 9 pellet 00 Buck w/ FliteControl x2
Federal 2-3/4" Low Recoil 1-oz Slug x5

Want to try this ammo, just tried the winchester supreme elite, it has a slug and double ought buck combo.

frag12.jpg

It is crazy lookin! But I dig it, though I dont think it would be the "Best Home Defense Ammo". Not if it the high explosive. It may work, but at great destruction of person and property. :shock:

Frag12 or HE...probably wouldn’t want to be in the same room with it. Fake like your giving up the house then start lobbing these through the window lol

oli700 said:
Frag12 or HE...probably wouldn’t want to be in the same room with it. Fake like your giving up the house then start lobbing these through the window lol

lol!!! Yeah I dunno...

oli700 said:
lol, Chuck Norris sleeps with a pillow under his gun

I didnt think he slept at all, He Waits. ;)

Back