• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best shells for HD?

Hey guys,

I am sorry if this has been covered before, but I was looking for a bit of advice as far as the best HD shells for my situation. I currently live in an apartment with fairly thin walls, and at the moment I keep my 500 with security barrel loaded with some cheap Wal-Mart shells that I have been using for practice (I know. Probably a mistake). I didn't want to buy anything before finding out what would be best. What do you guys recommend? I heard there are some slugs out there made for this sort of thing, that enter but don't exit the target; are those any good? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks

No stupid questions here!

Quick answer... nothing LTL (less than lethal) if you're serious about Home Defense. Bird shot is for the Birds. Buck shot, despite what its name eludes to, is probably better for humans than bucks. Most comon HD loads in 12 Gauge would be #4 Buck (NOT BIRD... big difference) and larger. Slugs are also great, but will certainly penetrate quite a few interior walls.

Being in an apartment certainly leaves you with some decisions to make, and of course... regardless of what advice we can give, the decision has to be yours. Just know that at HD distances you've gotta aim your shotgun as you would a rifle, as your spread will only be a few inches.

There are no stupid questions. :) The problem with HD in a apt./condo/etc. is that any ammo that is powerful enough to stop a bad guy is also powerful enough to penetrate 4, 5, or more thicknesses of 5/8" sheetrock. See this: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm . So you're in a tough spot decision wise. Don't miss. ;)

Talked to a firearm instructor at the gun show the other day, I asked him what he thought about HD shells he said he uses turkey loads. So with that thought in mind I'm going to try some blindside 2 3/4" when the weather allows!

My pick would be #4 buckshot. It would still be a potential hazard to someone on the other side of the sheetrock, however, anything less risks not stopping the threat. I just hate to recommend birdshot for any HD scenario. Take care. Tom Worthington

I do not live in an apartment, but my preferred shotgun HD round is the Hornady blue hull 12 gauge 00B.

It is hard to find, so if you do find any, buy as many boxes as you can.

My 2nd favorite 00B is the reduced power Federal buck.

I personally like slugs. I am responsible for every projectile that I unleash. At most HD distances I'm going to encounter shot is not going to expand much and it's easier to keep track of a single projectile.

What is "best" usually becomes a balance between effectiveness, safety and piece of mind.

Back