• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best shotgun for a Beginning Skeet Shooter

Expat_PM

.270 WIN
What's a good value Mossberg for a beginning skeet shooter (my 16 year old wants to start shooting matches at our gun club)?

I really like the 930 but if you are looking for an over under the silver reserve series are a great value for what you get. Other options would be a plain jane 500 with a 28" barrel.

In that price range you really can't beat a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel and it should come with the accu-choke set.

I agree here! I'm not crazy about a 28" barrel, but I usually shoot 20" guns...

The value though of a Mossberg with the accu-choke cant be beat by anything else out there. It includes 3 chokes, usually IC Mod and full I think? Nothing specific like a skeet choke, but a 28" barrel with a full choke? Dang, that will reach way out there, so for skeet, I dunno, modified I guess?

Anyway, yeah, the accuchoke set! Its a heck of a deal! Where else you gonna get a threaded barrel + chokes for that price? :D

Okay, I'm gonna order the 930 "water fowl" gun in 28"... just as soon as I get 600 bucks I can invest in more guns.

My wife complained the other day that I'm spending WAY too much on guns lately (as though that's even possible). I told that she's lucky I'm so prudent to invest our money in guns. Otherwise she would just blow it on food and clothing for the kids!

^^^lol!! Why would your wife want to feed or clothe the kids? I'd be outraged! ;) my husbands excuse is also "at least my guns will never lose value!). I have to admit that I'm a little weak hearted when I know I don't need ANOTHER one.... But my love of guns ends up winning over my rational thought process almost every time!

Preach it sister! What good is it to be obsessed with guns if you don't get to buy new ones and shoot things with them?

I could buy that 802 Varmint and the 930 shotty if one of you fine upstanding people would buy my back deck. I would continue to take good care of it (new paint once a year) and would email you occasional pics of it along with a monthly update on just how much fun your deck is having being attached to the back of our house.

All for the low, low price of 3 grand... but wait! if you act now I'll include steps and low voltage lighting...and for the lucky buyer of my back deck (with cash in hand) I'll take a solemn vow to burn dead animals (otherwise known as grilling) at least once a week on *your* new deck.

I'm picking out a case for my new 930 now $$$$$

Thanks Dan,
I love Budsgunshop. That's where I bought my Night Train a few weeks ago.
They have the shotgun I want for 538 (plus free shipping)

Is it going to be a dedicated skeet gun, or also used for casual/serious trap shooting?

Beyond the ability to rapidly fire two quick shots, proper gun fit is always always always more important than the barrel length or action type.

Hmmm...
Good question. Will it be dedicated to Skeet?
I don't know. I've never shot trap. I've never bird hunted.
I have an old side by side 20g for small game (rabbit mostly).

I think the long barrel of the 28" 930 may narrow it's functionality to turkey (possibly), ducks and skeet (or trap), of which skeet is the least flavorful ;)

this is why I ask lots of questions before dropping 5 or 6 hundred on a gun I'm unfamiliar with

Am using the Mossberg Maverick Hunter O/U 12 guage. Went out recently with a guy who paid over a $1,000 for his O/U and then he shot mine and discovered it shot just as well as his. Over my many years I've discovered the high-end items don't always live up to what you would expect.

I am a Trap shooter that started with my 500. It was a great beginner gun.
Now I use my 500 for tons of Skeet and hunting and even Sporting Clays.
Please do not use a MOD choke for Skeet. It can be done but for a beginner use either a Skeet choke, a Cylinder Choke or even an Improved Cylider.
Mod is just a bit to tight for Skeet beginner and will lessen the enjoyment of the game.

I recently took a beginning skeet class with a 20" cylinder bore 590 and had very good results with it. (only missed one shot before lunch).

im new to shooting trap/skeet i just went and bought a mossberg 500 50th anniversary edition 12ga. with modified choke running fedral 1 1/8 oz #8 shot its great gun the only thing i can say is that she does kick like a mule so go and get a shooting vest just makes it easier on your shoulder plus you can carry your ammo in pockets but it very reliable and very reasonable bough gun at dicks sporting goods $259 plus vest was the extra $35 as for ammo i go to walmart 22.95 for a box of 100 rounds and like i said im new to this but i use this gun and setup shooting singles and doubles and skeet some of the old timers run around yelling and screaming because i dint listen to them and go buy the guns they recommed but i just didnt have the money to go buy $10000.00++++ trap/skeet gun and they hate to lose there money to me when they want to shoot against me oh by the way i already put well over 3500 rounds through it just keep it clean and maintain it will out last you go luck :eek:

Back