• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best Vacation EVER!

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I travel all over the country with the job. The wife and I got married in Kauai and have been back a couple times since. Out of all the places I've been and things I've done, this week I'm on the best vacation I've ever had.

My Pops has been in poor health for the last couple years and been the hospital all but three weeks since Sept. 30th. Not going into details, but he's had some complications from an organ transplant. But this week, we got to bring him home. I flew out to Amarillo on Monday and spent the first day and a half in the hospital. We're at the house now and he's on the road to a full recovery.

He's a retired Airborne Ranger and one helluva fighter. The things he's been through in the last couple years would have beat any normal man. If I turn out to be half the man he is I'll consider myself blessed.

As soon as we got home he asked for a favor and I've been tasked with cleaning his firearms. It's no small job cause he's got a collection that puts mine to shame. There's about two dozen long guns ranging from a vintage M1a and a 30 Carbine to a Mak 90 and a Tech 9, all sorts of shotguns, and about a dozen pistols from Colt SAA and a 38-40 Cowboy revolver to his Sig 229. My mom figured she'd take advantage of the situation and brought in her Walther PPK (Interarms not S&W) and her Kel-Tec P32 for a good cleanin.

So, I'm hangin out with my folks, watching awesome movies that my Pop has missed like The Expendables, The Town, the A-Team and cleanin a bunch of really cool guns. I can't think of a better way to spend a week off. Well my wife couldn't come so, honey if you're reading this, it'd only be better if you were here, haha.

Just thought I'd share...

Dude, that sounds like an awesome vacation! Let your dad know the forum says hi, annd there are still guys like us thankful for guys like him!

Man it's been a REALLY good week so far. Just finished up my day in the gun cage. :lol:

The last pistol I cleaned today was his Colt Combat Commander. It was his service sidearm since the early 70's and rode on his hip through the jungles of southeast Asia. Man it's a sweet pistol and I consider it an honor that he let me clean it.

Stories like this are few and far between and I'm very happy for you, LAZY..

I too a have been caring for my ailing parents of late. My Dad was hospitalized back in early June, He's 83. He has been diagnosed with Congestive heart failure. He spent a couple weeks in the hospital, then a couple weeks in a rehab hospital then to a nursing home. We where able to get him home back in early September but things have been rough, especially on my 80 year old Mom. I always tried to prepare myself for their passing but I never envisioned the road to it being what it is. I live about 50 miles away which makes it a tough commute seeing my job is 100 mile drive round trip a day.

Enjoy your folks which it sounds you truly do and cherish these moments which again I'm sure you will..

God bless your Dad for his service and thank him from the bottom of my heart, my Dad served in Korea and he too is my hero and like you said, If I can be half of what he is I'll be lucky. These guys are the last of a great generation of men..

Appreciate the kind words Dave. I truly wish you and your family all the best.

It's times like these that I wish I had all the time back when I was a dumb, naive kid. Back then all I wanted to do was get outta the house and didn't think my folks ever knew what they were talkin about. I know we all go through that phase but now I just wish I had more time. I'm flyin back home in the morning and it's definitely bitter sweet. Miss the wife but it's gonna be hard to leave.

My Pop is doing great though and starting to feel human again. It's been great hangin out...

My gun cleanin chores today included some really cool stuff. I was busy today:

WWII Era Springfield Armory M1 Garand
WWII Era Inland Mfg/General Motors M1 Carbine (.30 Carbine)
WWII Era Japanese Ariska Type 38 Carbine
Two Winchester m1894 Lever Action Rifles (one .30wcf, one .38-55)
Winchester 1400 MK II 20ga
H&R Topper m48 12ga (belonged to my Grandpa)
Montgomery Ward & Co. Western Field Model 12ga
Marlin Model No. 19 12ga
Remington 1858 Black Powder Buffalo Revolver

My hands hurt like hell but it was worth it. :D

At the airport headed back home. I'll finally get to post up some pics of my 590 once I get back.

Back