• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best way to clean heavy fowling?

Paul930

Copper BB
Hi guys,
I seem to be getting alot of heavy fowling from the rio royal star slug in my 930. I have the brass tornado brush, but there is still junk in there. Any sugestions? Thank you.

What cleaner are you using...?

I use Pro Shot 1 Step for cleaning my shotguns...because it's not just about fouling from the powder and primers...it's also about the plastic from the hulls and wads.

I actually leave it soak for about half an hour...then scrub...then run patches until squeaky clean.

I bought the large economy size can...because I shoot shotguns alot !!

http://www.proshotproducts.com/1STEP-CLEANER-LUBRICANT-GALLON_p_610.html

BTW...I moved this thread from the Ammunition sub forum to the Firearm Maintenance sub forum for better viewing and replies.

Shooter13...thank you for you input and also moving my question to the correct area. I am new to cleaning after slugs. I used the Hoppes #9 once but it created a terrible smell almost like amonia once in the barrel. I usually use CLP the brass tornado brush and a drill. I shot 30 rio slugs wj=hich caked on the lead! The tornado brush was removing flakes to chunks of lead out of the barrel. The other thing is that it seems that some sof the lead is "melting" onto the outside of the barrel. Anyone know why?

John A...Thank you as well. I will give that a try.

I am going to try the proshot 1 step as well! Thank you and have a great day!

I have used Flitz metal polish to remove lead build up. I don't really recommend using Flitz metal polish on a regular basis either, on ly to remove the stubborn lead build up. I also use it to remove the carbon build up on the magazine tube after extended shooting sessions (A little goes a long way and do not forget to apply a bit of oil to the polished area when done).

One of the reasons you're getting so much lead buildup, is those rio slugs aren't in a shotcup like most other slugs which are more like a sabot. The Rio sit on top of a plastic wad.

I'm uncertain if your gun is a rifled barrel or smoothbore. Also, what is the choke of the barrel?

I'm not entirely certain why lead would be melting on the outside of the barrel. I'd really need to see some pictures and more details to maybe try to help you with that, but I'm at a loss.

I use this soaked on a bore mop and brass brush on a long rod chucked in my cordless drill.

It is absolutely positiviley freakin' awesome.

http://www.choketube.com/accessories-product-details.php?Choke-Tube-Cleaner-Carbon-Cutter&mf=900

Not only does the citric acid clean everything well, it smells like oranges :)

But don't drink it.

That's how I clean mine after a match. Especially if it a slug heavy match. We shoot our shotgun fast enough and long enough to get them pretty hot. That heat causes more plastic to build up in the bore. The drill cleans it out every time. I also use the drill and brass brush to clean out the area of the barrel were the piston goes.

That's how I clean mine after a match. Especially if it a slug heavy match.

I had to do that after I bought the old 16 gauge pump last year. There was so much plastic fouling in the barrel, the ports of the adjustable choke were clogged with it and I used 12 lb fishing line to clean the slits out. It was pretty pitiful.

I'm not complaining though. The plastic coating protected the metal and after I spent a half hour taking it down and cleaning it, it looked almost like a brand new one. I only paid $99 for the gun, and nothing was wrong with it other than it had just sat neglected since Grandpa died from the look of it. But the lesson to take away from it, clean your guns every now and then folks. No one is going to pay top dollar for a dirty gun, or car.

Back