• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bi-Pods and Bean bags...

Papa D

So I got a CV Life Bi-Pod on my Patriot. So far so good. Seems solid and was only $20. Now I'm looking at using one of those bean bags to support the rear end. Question is, is there a difference between them? I've seen them priced from $15-$60. Does anyone else use them? Are they worth it or just a gimmick?

Sent from my Vivo XL4 using Tapatalk

Another alternative is to make your own... for many years my front bag was a section of the leg from an old pair of Levi's, hand stitched at both ends and filled with sand from the kids sand-pit.

Nowadays I use a Caldwell Tackdriver bag at the front and support the rear with my hand, or sometimes use the "jeans bag".

Another alternative is to make your own... for many years my front bag was a section of the leg from an old pair of Levi's, hand stitched at both ends and filled with sand from the kids sand-pit.

Nowadays I use a Caldwell Tackdriver bag at the front and support the rear with my hand, or sometimes use the "jeans bag".
Cool. Have you found the bag on the rear makes any significant difference, compared to just using your support hand?

Daryll gave some good advice.

I have also seen the pants legs or long sleeve shirt sleeves sewn up with those little plastic airsoft bb's in them. Though they are considerably noisier if that is a concern.

Otherwise, use fine grain sand.

Cool. Have you found the bag on the rear makes any significant difference, compared to just using your support hand?

Rear bag is definitly more stable than your hand, its just the inconvenience of having to carry two (heavyish) bags onto the range.

I own three Caldwell bags and they are all garbage in my opinion.

What looks like leather is just plastic.

What seems like sand inside is too light weight because it is just plastic chips.

The bags are bulky but in my opinion not heavy enough for a really good platform.

I have reinforced mine with leather and urethane glue, but the seams are starting to come apart. I've got tape holding the "sand" inside.

When I make my own they will all be made from used leather and new aquarium gravel. I built one so far as an extension for my tail bag and I think it is the way to go.

The Caldwell "Tackdriver" is made of cordura, and normally comes unfilled. I filled mine with cat-litter, and it weighs about 5Kg (11lbs)

It has leatherette patches on the base, where it contacts the bench, and the "V" in the top for the rifle is also lined... that is showing some wear, but really only scuffing..

My tack driver came already filled, as did my other two Caldwell bags.

I think I bought them all at Sportsman's Warehouse years ago, but I don't remember now.

That leatherette melted the first time I went out and got it in contact with a hot Barrel. I ended up putting big leather patches over all of it with polyurethane glue.

I mostly use the thing turned sideways with a modified Caldwell tail bag.

A sock, (preferably clean) filled with dry rice works good for the rear. Just fill it up a few inches, and knot it off right at the fill line. Super cheap, and easy to make another if anything happens to it. Also easy to add or subtract for a custom height.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Back