• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

BIG revolver as the ultimate home defense weapon.

Tom396

.30-06
Hey, before you jump on me or the article, please bear in mind that it's just one opinion. I really do enjoy reading stuff like this, whether I happen to agree with the concept or not. I'm hoping that you enjoy reading for enjoyment, also. It doesn't always have to be perfect or even great information.

http://www.survivaloperations.com/big-revolvers-best-gun-for-defense-against-home-invasion/

Point of fact is that I have a 6" barrel .357 myself, but I don't think of it as the very best choice for me, in a home defense situation. However, I don't think it's all that bad, either. I do find it odd that the author of this article suggests the idea of loading different types of rounds into the same cylinder. Hey, maybe that's a good plan. Again, think entertaining and/or thought provoking , rather than informative. Take care. Tom Worthington

tagged to see what is contributed....

Before reading the thread I'll keep an open mind.

As long as they can put rounds where they need to go with it, I don't care what anyone chooses as their HD gun.

I like choices. What works for me, may not work for anyone else, and vice/versa.

Actually, in a up close and personal situation, I think a good fighting knife such as a Kbar, or a tomahawk, would be a better choice. No worries about ammo, shot placement, etc. Just get ugly and open the sob up - see what's inside. Worked for some of my relatives in WWII and Korea and for many others. They teach bayonet and knife in the Marines for a reason.

A technical point: A sharp blade will penetrate kevlar whereas a bullet won't.

Last edited:
What you shoot is not nearly as important as being able to put rounds on target on demand. I love big bore guns and shoot them frequently but they are heavy and produce a lot of recoil and muzzle flash. A .357, .44, .454, etc. is a lot of gun, more than most can handle in that type of situation. A good .22 the user can keep on target every time is worlds better than a bazooka that they can't hit the side of a barn with. Personally I think too many people are over gunned because they buy into Hollywood imagery and ballistics hype.

Actually, in a up close and personal situation, I think a good fighting knife such as a Kbar, or a tomahawk, would be a better choice. No worries about ammo, shot placement, etc. Just get ugly and open the sob up - see what's inside. Worked for some of my relatives in WWII and Korea and for many others. They teach bayonet and knife in the Marines for a reason.

still hurts and until he have Kevlar or the face/neck that's where I'd point, up close

what did they teach you about bringing a knife to a gun fight ? my Marine family members say that's for when there is absolutely no guns or bullets left to shoot and if the enemy still has some not even the bravest or dumbest Marine is going to bum rush them with a knife......they are going to run and hide, live to fight another day.

Its true its hard to draw from concealment and get the drop on someone rushing you with a melee weapon, but if you are gun in hand, nothing beats it but another gun in hand

Last edited:
sill hurts and until he have Kevlar or the face/neck that's where I'd point, up close

what did they teach you about bringing a knife to a gun fight ? my Marine family members say that's for when there is absolutely no guns or bullets left to shoot and if the enemy still has some not even the bravest or dumbest Marine is going to bum rush them with a knife......they are going to run and hide, live to fight another day.

Its true its hard to draw from concealment and get the drop on someone rushing you with a melee weapon, but if you are gun in hand, nothing beats it but another gun in hand

That's generally true. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have one handy tho. I note that many folks who carry a gun also carry a knife, and I don't think it's for cleaning their fingernails. ;)

A knife is a great alternative for sd. Not everyone can carry a gun for numerous reasons, specially local laws. But sadly, even knives are being outlawed. But I suppose I would rather be charged with having a knife than having nothing. As to guns I would rather have a big bore, they are more versatile , sd, hunting, etc. though not perfect.

I've often voiced the opinion that a Ruger Alaskan loaded with 44 Special ammo is one of the best of the best for a defensive handgun in the home.

No doubt. In fact, my son has what he calls his self defense rock that is kept on the end table in his living room. His opinion is that if someone comes through the door a good softball sized rock lobbed forcefully will turn them away.

Anything can be a weapon. Frying pans.............. weapon of choice for housewives for centuries lol :D

over-easy-uzi-gun-frying-pans.jpeg

Over easy Uzi's anyone?

Joking aside I've always agreed with the above advice already given. It's better to have a caliber that one can comfortably handle and put rounds where they intended than to have a caliber so grossly overpowered for a person's skillset that they can't hit the broad side of a barn at point blank exchange range. Your responsible for wherever that projectile winds up and it's most likely your family on the other side of that drywall. Even if your shot hits the mark if your using higher powered handgun/rifle rounds they have greater potential to just pass right through the perp and keep on going. Shot placement is crucial. So is the proper round selection to do it with.

A good modern bullet designed to dump its energy quickly into 2 legged upright predators should be high priority on anyone's shopping list when selecting self defense ammo. Yet I see people all the time squawk about the cost and wind up cheaping out for a target load. Then they load it up and never go shoot the damned thing. Sometimes more than a dollar a pop for the good stuff is tough to swallow for burning up at a range but when your life or a loved one's is at stake why not give yourself the best possible tool for the job and practice properly with it? Even if its just always target loads? Never wise to discover your guns gonna jam when in a jam.

YMMV as usual.

Last edited:
I own a number of guns. I'll use any of them in a home defense situation. I do worry about my hearing when it comes to the rifle. I don't personally like the big bore revolver. I only own 1 revolver. A. 38 snubby. I presume anything over. 357 should be in a rifle. Only my opinion. I do think that they are cool though, especially .44 .454 and .45!

The stopping power of one good handgun round is about 50%. buckshot and rifles run about 100% per shot. handguns are convenient, long guns are more effective. my fat bullet revolver is backup for my shotgun.

I'll say this as well. With a big revolver in a home invaders face they can clearly see whats waiting for them in the exposed part of the cylinder up front. I think looking at a big bore hole like a .44 mag or a 500 SW with a few large ass hollow points peeking out on each side would be enough to make me have to run home and change my underpants. In that regard yes a big revolver makes for a very intimidating home defenders weapons. YMMV as usual.

Back