• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Biodegradable Clay Pidgins and Steel Shot

BeOurProtector

Copper BB
Hey guys,

My family has recently bought 50 acres in upstate NY. (Insert happiness/love/appreciation/family time here). I have a large pond that I'd LOVE to shoot skeet and trap over...

I've heard that both of these things are needed to keep the pond swim able and environmentally sound for decades to come. So tell me more about biodegradable clay pidgins and steel shot. Brands? Do u shoot this way often? General pricing? Discussion.

Thanks! God Bless :)

Biodegradable birds are thrown at many of the clubs that I shoot at.
As for steel shot, I never shoot steel unless waterfowl hunting.
With 50 acres I would not shoot over the pond unless I was hunting.
Throw the clays some place else on the property and keep the pond clean.

LTB45 so you think that even with the Biodegradable pidgins, there will be a residual effect on the pond? (As in them not sinking to the bottom, or forming a foam/residue at the top?)

BeOurProtector said:
LTB45 so you think that even with the Biodegradable pidgins, there will be a residual effect on the pond? (As in them not sinking to the bottom, or forming a foam/residue at the top?)

Honestly I have no idea what it might do to the pond.
My point is if it were my property, and its not, so do as you wish, but I would shoot somewhere else on all that acreage and leave the pond as pristine as possible.

Technically if you are not actually building a Skeet or Trap field then you are going to be shooting at clays from some kind of thrower. This is neither Skeet nor Trap and can be done wherever you have some room to do it. Again I would stay away from the pond since you dont want to mess up the ecosystem of your property. Lead OR Steel and Biodegradable clays are not going to damage a field of grass the way they could impact a pond.

I was looking at a box of biodegradables and it said not to shoot them in an area where animals may graze. Just because they dissolve into the environment doesn't mean they won't harm creatures that may be exposed to them. And at twice the price... ;)

Back