• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Birdshot ammo for HD?

#4 buck shot is known as a legit home defense load. #4 bird shot not so much.

I haven't heard of anyone using BB loads for home defense. I would think over penetration for those loads would be the big concern there.

Over or under penetration with steel BB?

I had considered #4 buck to load in the tube, but since it is lethal at 150 feet http://union-bulletin.com/news/2012/aug/13/walla-walla-prosecutor-will-not-file-charges/ I would not want to put my neighbors in danger. If needed, the 00 buck would go straight in the port as my family comes before my neighbors.

Until I become confident in my shooting, I am looking for that "magic" shell that has enough force to stop a BG inside my home (under 20'), and which loses energy quickly after it leaves my property and reaches the house across the street (over 100'). The lowest 2 3/4" birdshot I would consider is #1 steel or #3 lead for home defense.

Do the larger steel and lead birdshots pattern differently? Do I need to be concerned with ricochets when using steel?

I think you need to consider the #4 buck if you miss will have to go through some material (walls, door) and be impacted by the outside environment once it reaches outside as well. I think that 150 feet rule is when the shot is unobstructed.

Unfortunately Nick there is no magic bullet. And every shot load performs differently in every barrel. So even if something works well for my gun you need to test it out for yourself. That's why you keep getting the, "try out different loads" comment. Because you really need to see the spread your barrel makes for different loads.

I wouldnt be concerned with ricochets unless you were shooting at steel targets.

Unfortunately there are no ranges in my town and I am waiting to use the private one my in-laws go to which is 40 miles away.

After I become proficient with the Mossberg 500 I will test out shooting different ammo at gelatin filled, denim wrapped milk jugs from 20' and 100'.

Every load will pattern different for you through your gun than through ny of ours. This is why it is imperative you pattern any load you choose to keep on hand.

There is no magic load that will effectively and reliably stop a threat and lose energy quickly enough to not penetrate some barriers though there recently has been some question about the effective lethality of the Federal FliteControl LE132 low recoil at 40 yards, or 120'.

If you're concerned you aren't proficient enough then buy a bulk pack of birdshot/target loads and go shooting. Once you're comfortable in your ability to handle and manipulate the shotgun efficiently and effectively, once it feels like an extension of your body, load up some 00 buck and start putting rounds on target at about 7 yards. You may have to learn to hold your sight slightly off the bullseye to center the load pattern on the target. You'll likely find that just because the bead is on target, that your gun will not pattern on center, that's not unusual. With shot from a shot gun, Point of Aim is not always Point of Impact, again, that's not uncommon.

Another vitally important fact that must be remebered is that not all loads are created equally. There are tremendous advantages to loads like Federal FliteControl both low recoil and full power as well as Hornady TAP LE (low recoil),Hornady Light Magnum/Critical Defense with VersaTite wad. The Fed loads are 1145 fps for low recoil and 1300 and some change for full power and the Hornady loads are 1100 and something and 1600 fps respectively.

I've found the Federal for $5.49 a box of five to as much as $9 a box and the Hornady LE stuff for as low as $8 a box of 10 and as much as $13 a box of 10 for the commercially available Critical Defense.

Man, I've been in some rough places with life here recently and haven't been spending a whole lot of time on here lately, but this is among those issues I care very much about. I can't tell you what to use. You alone are responsible for the round you load, but we're gonna be here to encourage you and provide you with as much of our own experiences as possible. We will strive to provide you with the best possible information so you are able to make the best possible decisions regarding your safety and the safety of your loved ones.

Remember, there is no perfect load to handle every scenario, so as has been said before, and I agree with, load for the worst.

Are you familiar with the FBIs standard for minimum penetration in bare gelatin?

For what its worth, I drive 45 miles to the farm to shoot.

Yup, I used to go to SGW quite a bit.

In the very early days of this site, I cross posted the info from the link to our ammo section.

I prefer flexibility. My shotty is always loaded with buckshot (usually #4) but I also keep 00B in the shell carrier. I even keep some birdshot around. It may not be likely to kill anyone but it will certainly eff'em up at close range.

I have 80 rounds of Fiocchi Exacta 00B coming tomorrow. I'm going to range soon to see how it performs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

From the bedroom to the stair landing is maybe ten feet. From the stair landing to the front door is maybe twelve feet. I'd prefer to use oo buck but if Turkey loads are all I have or even #6 birdshot at these distances I think a BG will stop doing what got him shot for in the first place. I'm no pro but Clint Smith said at hallway distances bird shot or skeet rounds will work in a pinch. YMMV. tom. :cool:

deputy tom said:
From the bedroom to the stair landing is maybe ten feet. From the stair landing to the front door is maybe twelve feet. I'd prefer to use oo buck but if Turkey loads are all I have or even #6 birdshot at these distances I think a BG will stop doing what got him shot for in the first place. I'm no pro but Clint Smith said at hallway distances bird shot or skeet rounds will work in a pinch. YMMV. tom. :cool:

Yeah, it's not preferred but it'll work.

tomservo92 said:
deputy tom said:

Yeah, it's not preferred but it'll work.

Yep, my thoughts too. tom.

Back