1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Black powder lets see um

Discussion in 'Photo And Video Gallery' started by Djcala, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

2. Daryll

Daryll .270 WIN Supporter

My new, and only, front stuffer....
    Bought it a month ago and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet!!

Pietta Remington NMA .44 Traget Model

[​IMG]
    hombre243, meanstreak and Djcala like this.
  3. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

I have never owned a black powder gun, but I certainly appreciate them.
    Djcala likes this.
  4. hombre243

hombre243 .30-06 Elite Member

I had this same revolver, a Pietta. I also had a Walker replica from Uberti. Both were fun and accurate as I could be.
    Djcala likes this.
  5. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

The day is young, get with the program. Its nice having ability to literally make your own projectiles AND propellant in a pinch
    meanstreak likes this.
  6. Daryll

Daryll .270 WIN Supporter

Back in 1997 when they confiscated our pistols, a lot of pistol shooters turned to BP, as the UK Government didn't ban those...(they said they were "not especially dangerous"..!?!?! shows how clueless they are..).

I'd heard how much hassle BP was compared to smokeless, so didn't want to go that way and switched to pistol calibre rifles, then eventually full power rifles.

But at the end of last year I decided to give it a try, and as my FireArm Certificate was up for renewal it was the ideal time to ask for a "slot" for a BP revolver... and yes, here in the UK even BP guns have to go on your FAC, unlike the rest of Europe where you can buy them unrestricted from sporting good stores.

I may well give it a go and decide that the hassle isn't worth it, but at least its a "proper" revolver, and not the abominations that we can own as "Long barrelled Revolvers"
    meanstreak and Djcala like this.
  7. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

@Daryll I believe you may fall in love as I did many years ago. The cap n ball revolver is pure joy for me, it checks many pleasure boxes the pure mechanical beauty, the ability to experiment with each chamber loaded as an individual with various powder combinations round ball or conical 2f or 3f , black powder vs substitutes etc endless fun. Flash BOOM SMOKE is hard to not get addicted to. My 1851 .36 is one of the most accurate pistols ive ever shot , using 175 yr old technology to embarass other shooters is very satisfying. And the knowledge that should modern cartridges be unavailable the ability to create projectiles and fuel at home is also nice( and yes even percussion caps can be made using aluminum cans )
    I hope it gives you as much enjoyment as it does me, heck I even enjoy the clean up.
    CaddmannQ and meanstreak like this.
  8. meanstreak

This showed up on my doorstep this afternoon. image.jpg

Uberti 1861 Navy .36 caliber. Needless to say, I have a lot to learn.
    John A. and CaddmannQ like this.
  9. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I just happened to watch a really nice set of videos on youtube today. The young fella talked a lot, but the video series was pretty good.

meanstreak likes this.
  10. meanstreak

Thanks for posting John. I'll check that out.
  11. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I got to see that thing about making percussion caps...

I watched a number of videos about how to make your own black powder and of course the caveat is usually the same: My charcoal is not your charcoal, and your charcoal may be different than my charcoal, so be damn careful until you figure out your charcoal.
    meanstreak and John A. like this.
  12. meanstreak

Got some bore butter today. I think I'm ready to fire the revolver. Now to get out and git er dun.
    CaddmannQ likes this.
  13. dieselmudder

dieselmudder .30-06 Elite Member "Philanthropist"

Where did you pick that up from. Im still needing to scratch the itch. Youtuber Dualist1954 or something like that has several videos on upgrading those for reliability. I watched a bunch last winter when I was bored.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    meanstreak likes this.
  14. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

While looking into DIY caps, I found a guy selling reloading kits for .22 LR and .22 WMR.
    I always thought this was possible, but never saw it done before.

Most interesting bit: one pound of powder loads 3500-4000 rounds. With the world's tiniest dipper.
    I'm not sure I'd make it through the first pound. ;) With my fingers, I might better stick to reloading shotguns.

Anyhow this turned my mind to the thought of squirrel guns and naval revolvers, and a new safe to hold them.
    Perhaps I will live long enough.
    meanstreak likes this.
  15. meanstreak

Midwayusa. I had not been able to find even one revolver in town.