• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Boating/kayaking/river preparedness

TravisM.1

.270 WIN
My son, brother and I are planning a kayak fishing/camping trip this summer. Naturally the topic of gear to carry along came up.
-Fishing gear
-A good folder and fixed blade
-I'm planning to pack either my sp101 or my G19
-Fire starting gear
-Two small coolers with food and water in/on each boat
-Big choppers (hatchet/machete)
-Sunscreen, sunglasses, a change of clothes, hygiene stuff
-General first aid kit

I don't think I'm overlooking anything.

The two challenges I'm seeing are
1) Storage. Kayaks (even boats and canoes) only offer so much storage space. We're accommodating that by adjusting our gear choices. For example, instead of a dome tent, we're packing hammocks with plastic sheets to string over them in case it rains. Small and light will be the plan.

2) Gear separation. Without wearing a big, bulky (bulkier than a PFD anyway) vest or pack, there's not much of a way to keep your gear with you if you lose your boat.

I'm open to comments and suggestions. Of course, a PFD and whistle is standard equipment on each boat.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

If you are hammock camping you will need insulation unless temps at night are 80*F or higher. You can check out my site www.watermonkey.net to learn a bit more on hammock camping if you haven't done the research. I've been hiking and hammocking in all weather conditions. It's a steep learning curve but it's worth the time in my opinion.

For water, if you are kayaking/fishing in fresh water just get a water filter/purifier. Takes up limited space and you can filter as much water as you need for everyone. MSR or Kahtadin will run you about $60.

Pack a marine style first aid kit.

How will you be protecting your firearm and knives from corrosion during the trip?

When I kayaked I always brought a flare gun. Kinda hard to find you in thick trees if you get stranded for some unknown reason.

If you get separated from your boats it's always nice to keep a way to make fire and make a shelter on you at all times. A few plastic garbage bags and a fire starting kit doesn't take up much space in a PFD pocket.

Hope this helps.

Water purification is a really good suggestion. Less weight in the boat than carrying bottled water, and you don't have to worry about running out before the trip is over. And besides, diarrhea sucks.

If I may, the likelihood of your gear getting wet is high, so I would suggest a water tight means of storing at least some items. Cell phones, cigarette lighters, first aid items, flash light/batteries, toilet paper, etc.

If you are not inclined to buy a waterproof case for a weekend trip, I'm sure that you have a 30 or 50 cal ammo can around somewhere that you could tie to the boat so it doesn't get washed overboard and swept away if you come across any rough water or strong currents.

And for cigarette lighters, the small windproof/water proof propane refillables could be more ideal than a bic. Though if everything was in an ammo can, will probably stay bone dry without the extra expense as long as you have some dry kindling or dryer lint or what not and were not trying to light a fire in a monsoon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=windproof waterproof lighter&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=43850769329&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16323899825371896551&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7s059alnf7_b

Scotty...
I've got all kinds of 550. Knife handles, tie ropes for the kayaks, stuff like that. Still, an extra 50' takes up no space. Good idea on the straw, too.

Water Monkey...
Hadn't thought about the insulation thing. Sleepwear will probably consist of underarmor/hoodies and track/sweat pants. The first aid kit is geared towards boating/fishing, so I'm good there. Also like the water filter idea, and the small kit in a PFD pocket.
Guns and knives will be oiled before we leave and when we get back. We're looking at a two or three night timeframe, so that should be sufficient.

John....
Yeah, I've got a couple of those small Plano guide series boxes with the big o-ring seal. Big enough for a phone, keys, lighter. We've discussed having a small, standardized first aid/firemaking/survival kit in a waterproof 1650/1700 series Plano box also.

Travis you will freeze at night with what you got. I suggest you do a few overnighters in your backyard and dial in your hammocks first.

Cbs (cold butt syndrome) will make for a miserable trip.

Let's keep it simple here. You can load up with ammo cans and waterproof boxes, but realistically you can do it with ziplock bags and garbage bags, and save yourself some cash.

I use what I call go bags. A gallon ziplock bag will hold a pair of underwear, at shirt and a pair of socks, when rolled properly. Pack your clothes bag accordingly and bring extras. That is SO much more important than the other clothes.

ALWAYS carry a lighter in your pocket. Simple bic lighters will long outlast your average refillable propane lighter. If they get wet they won't work well but they dry easily.

550 cord is invaluable. Replace your shoelaces with it, wrap it around your handles, use a para cord bracelet, etc. Be creative.

Three days isn't too bad for a beginning trip. You may be cold, but as long as you don't get a cold weather injury you'll be fine for that little time. I've camped out in sub freezing weather for a week or so on end more than once, and it sucks pretty bad to shiver instead of sleep. But you learn a lot about ways to keep warm.

This may be useful. http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/1200x/cf/e2/4e/cfe24e26fc443484f75bf282319ff3fd.jpg

Just for clarification..... we're planning this for like July. Temps here at night are usually 75ish.

As an experience hammock hiker I'm letting you know you still may be cold at night. Do some try outs first.

I'm not an experienced hiker but I can tell from experience that the slightest amount of dampness (dew, etc) combined with even a slight breeze and lack of heat source can be colder than you would think when stuck out overnight.

I'm not an experienced hiker but I can tell from experience that the slightest amount of dampness (dew, etc) combined with even a slight breeze and lack of heat source can be colder than you would think when stuck out overnight.

Even with warming layers on you can still be cold. Especially if you're wearing clothing that you've sweat through, even if it's dried.

Back