• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt Action Rifles

Re: New Ruger GSR..

I completely understand and glad to hear that things are finally getting back to normal for you.

A couple new ones for me..

First is the Savage Model 10 With a Choate folding stock in 308.

Next a CZ527 in 7.62x39mm, this is the result of owning a crappy Yugo SKS and the urge to shoot 7.62x39mm proficiently and the CZ did just that.

And my Ruger GSR without optics yet.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Where ya been stranger!?!

Nice new sticks you've got there...

What's up, buddy!!!

I needed to take a break and get my mind and soul back in order after the loss of my Dad but things are finally beginning to get better. We finally had his funeral on May 7th due to ground being frozen still when he passed away in March. The lack of a funeral or place to visit him was killing me along with reliving his last week of life every night. Time heals all and it definitely was true in my situation.

I hear ya brother,

I'm glad you were finally able to get some closure. My family's thoughts and prayers are with you Dave.

DaveinCT said:
Si556 and few others
Love your new rifle. sorry for OT but I have been looking real hard at the Sig 556...would love to hear your feedback. seeing how you sold it your not impressed ?
Thanks

oli700 said:
DaveinCT said:
Si556 and few others
Love your new rifle. sorry for OT but I have been looking real hard at the Sig 556...would love to hear your feedback. seeing how you sold it your not impressed ?
Thanks

The Sig556 was good to me for the 4 months I owned it. I have a "few" other rifles that fit the role the Sig did but a little better and newer so I didn't want to part with any of those. I have a dressed up ColtM4 and an LMT CQB MRP Defender as well as the SCAR and ACR. The Sig was bought used for $1200 with an EOtech on it which I sold for $300 a few months ago. In the end I didn't lose any money and got to enjoy it while I had it. I also kept the $100 Battle grip and 100rnd Beta mag it came with so I really made out on it. I would have lost money trying to trade or sell any of the others.

The newer Sig556 models seem to have some issues from what I read a while back. Mine was about 4 years old with moderate use and didn't give me or my son any trouble.

Thanks, so many choices in “AR” don’t know where to begin really. I have .223 already maybe I’ll do a GSR, I REALLY want an M14 though. I have shot my bros YHM AR a lot and love it

Cant wait to hear more about the new Ruger though…. Think it will shoot with your socom 16 ?

oli700 said:
Thanks, so many choices in “AR” don’t know where to begin really. I have .223 already maybe I’ll do a GSR, I REALLY want an M14 though. I have shot my bros YHM AR a lot and love it

Cant wait to hear more about the new Ruger though…. Think it will shoot with your socom 16 ?

So far it's accuracy is much better than the SOCOM. I had to take the rear sight apart on the socom to file the ramp that is the rear sight so it would go further down to get it dialed in @100 yards. Not a big deal but for $1500 rifle and Springfield Arms you would think it would be good to go out of the box.

The GSR has a couple hundred rounds through it now and the first shot was @50 yards and missed the inner circle on the target by an inch. I took it straight out to 200 yards and slammed the 20"x20" Iron plate a few times and then shot for the 18"x8" plates and wacked that a few times. It's truly a sweet shooting rifle which I'll probably end up mounting a scope eventually.

DaveinCT said:
So far it's accuracy is much better than the SOCOM.I'll probably end up mounting a scope eventually.

Wow that says a lot to me. So a scope ….is the “scout “position the only choice on that. I have 0 time with a scout set up…..think it’s like a pistol scope or??

oli700 said:
DaveinCT said:
So far it's accuracy is much better than the SOCOM.I'll probably end up mounting a scope eventually.

Wow that says a lot to me. So a scope ….is the “scout “position the only choice on that. I have 0 time with a scout set up…..think it’s like a pistol scope or??

Well the GSR comes with rings that are the same setup you get with the Mini14 and then has the Pictanny rail up front. To use the Pictanny rail you would have to use a pistol scope for eye relief. The stock Ruger rings would allow the use of a normal scope..

I was toying with the idea of an EOtech (I have two not in use) but for a bolt rifle I really want a scope..

An eotec up front and a magnifier on the back spot might be cool

^^^That's not a bad idea either. :cool: The stock Ruger rings won't fit the magnifier, I don't think but something to look into..

Nice, I hope it turns out to be a keeper, a family heirloom for that matter

oli700 said:
Nice, I hope it turns out to be a keeper, a family heirloom for that matter

I've got a few I view this way and the GSR is on it's way there.

Thanks for the interest, Oli.. :cool:

Very nice. I played with one but yet to shoot one. How was the accuracy after heating up the brl?

What is the deal with the mags, any other option besides Ruger?

sumoj275 said:
Very nice. I played with one but yet to shoot one. How was the accuracy after heating up the brl?

What is the deal with the mags, any other option besides Ruger?

The brl is 16" so even when hot it'll have less tendency to whip. I only have the 10rnd stock mag and I've rattled off 10 rnds pretty quick and she stays where I'm pointing so far. As for Mags, I forget the name of the company that makes the stock mags but I've heard you can get them straight from them but still around $40..

Ruger 77/357 Rotary Magazine Rifle

New from Ruger...

Model Number: 7405 | Caliber: .357 Mag.

Stock: Black Synthetic
Finish: Brushed Stainless
Front Sight: Gold Bead
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Barrel Length: 18.50"
Overall Length: 38.50"
Material: Stainless Steel
Length of Pull: 13.50"
Capacity: 5
Weight: 5.50 lbs.
Twist: 1:16" RH
Grooves: 8
Suggested Retail: $793.00

- SOLID, HEAT-TREATED STAINLESS STEEL ACTION that features a rugged, right-hand turning bolt with 90-degree bolt lift and ultra-fast lock time for added accuracy.

- PATENTED INTEGRAL SCOPE MOUNTS, machined directly on the solid-steel receiver provide a stable mounting surface for scope rings, eliminating a potential source of looseness and inaccuracy in the field (scope rings included FREE).

- THREE-POSITION SAFETY is easily accessible and allows the shooter to lock the bolt to load and unload the rifle with the safety engaged.

- PATENTED DETACHABLE ROTARY MAGAZINE features a unique rotor to separate cartridges and provide reliable feeding; mounts flush with the stock to eliminate protrusions at the rifle’s balance point.

- SIGHTS: Fitted with gold bead front and adjustable rear iron sights.

- ALSO FEATURES: sling swivel stud mounts.

Press Release From Ruger:

Ruger Introduces The 77/357

June 22, 2011

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) is proud to announce the Ruger® 77/357™, a lightweight, bolt-action rifle chambered in the venerable .357 Magnum and fed via a rotary magazine.

The bolt-action 77/357 features a five-round rotary magazine and is offered in the Ruger All-Weather® configuration, which includes a durable, weather-resistant stainless steel barrel and receiver and a rugged, black composite stock. Although it is fitted with fully adjustable iron sights, the 77/357 also ships with patented Ruger scope rings, allowing a variety of sighting options for this lightweight (5-1/2 pounds), quick-handling rifle.

"The 77/357 is an effective tool for hunting medium-sized game - especially in heavy cover," said Bruce Rozum, Chief Rifle Engineer at Ruger. "Bullet velocities of .357 Magnum ammunition increase significantly when fired out of the 77/357's 18 1/2" cold hammer-forged barrel. In testing, Hornady® 140 grain FTX® loads were clocked at over 1820 feet per second. Furthermore, the flush-fit, five-shot rotary magazine does not protrude at the rifle's balance point and, unlike tube-fed rifles, the Ruger 77/357 can be readily loaded and unloaded," he concluded.

For more information on the Ruger 77/357, or to learn more about the extensive, award winning line of Ruger firearms, visit http://www.Ruger.com or http://www.Facebook.com/Ruger. To find accessories for the Ruger 77/357 or other Ruger firearms, visit http://www.ShopRuger.com.

The 77/357 follows in the footsteps of its predecessors in Ruger's line of rotary magazine rifles:

- ALSO AVAILABLE: 77/44, 77/22, 77/17

Small to Medium Game Fun in a Full-Size Rifle. In 1983, Ruger® responded to the many shooters who desired a high-quality, adult-size .22 rimfire rifle - one that was built to centerfire standards of strength, accuracy and aesthetics. Focused on building a rifle that was accurate, economical, and extremely handsome, Bill Ruger launched the family of bolt-action rifles using the rotary magazine.

Comparing favorably with custom-made firearms, the innovative 77/22® (available in .22 LR, .22 Mag. or .22 Hornet), the powerful 77/357™, 77/44® and the flat-shooting and superbly accurate 77/17® have all established themselves as the perfect rifle for small game hunters, ranchers, and long-range informal "plinkers." Offered in a variety of calibers and configurations, these rifles boast all of the technological advancements of the M77® Mark II rifle with the rugged and utterly dependable Ruger detachable rotary magazine.

Back