• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt lock up doesn't seem tight enough

garry owen

Copper BB
I recently bought a Mossberg MVP 308 patrol rifle with the tan stock and iron sights and like it very much. It shoots well and with 150 gr. Remington Coreloct, I shot a 3 round ragged hole at 50yds open sights, from a bench, which is very good for me. Now my question is for those who know, as I am not very familiar with bolt actions, is that the bolt when closed, ready to fire, seems way too easy to open. I can easily raise the bolt lever with my thumb while in a shooting position. It pulls the bolt handle up halfway when it catches on my jacket unslinging the rifle off my shoulder.
Is this normal? I checked my dad's old Remington 721 and it closes up nice and tight.My mvp closes up alright just not as nice as his.
Is this something that should be checked? Or is it something I can fix? I googled this and couldn't find a thing.

I don't know which style bolt-actions utilize which style of firing pin cocking methods off the top of my head BUT some cock the firing pin upon closing the bolt and some cock it upon opening the bolt. So if the MVP cocks on close, then it would be easier to open and a little harder to close but I can't answer that for you.

This isn't saying that it couldn't be a malfunction of some sort. Is this with an empty chamber? See if there is a difference with an empty (fired) case.

BTW, Welcome Aboard, Garry! :)

Back