• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt not returning to battery...

Hello all. New on the forum and just got my new 930 a couple ago. Love the way it operates. I did however have several FTRB in about 40 rounds fired. I did clean the shotgun before I went to shoot. I am attaching pics. This was a new purchase.

I think those marks are lead fowling. I was able to scrape them clean. The piston had the same type fowling. Clean as best as I could. This is a new shotgun. I was shooting remington and winchester rifled 1oz slugs.

Steve

mu3u3e2a.jpg
e9eze5ud.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Steve.

Sorry to see you're having issues. When cycling the action manually, do you notice the bolt hanging up anywhere along its path? I would check for any burrs or irregularities inside the receiver. Also, turn the shotgun upside down while manually cycling and observe the elevator and cartridge stop as they move. Does either part look like it's getting hung up? We sometimes see that one or more of these parts is out of spec and will cause cycling issues...

Good post & pictures Skyhawk8.

Thank you. :)

Now that I think about it, the slugs themselves are not surrounded by a plastic wad to prevent lead fouling from possibly interfering with the gas system or maybe even partially clogging the two gas ports also.

...hmmm.

Well after the cleaning from shooting and removing the build up I decided it wasn't good enough. I torn it down again and found a scratch on the top of the mag tube from the threads down about 3.5 to 4 inches. Spent some time checking what might have caused this. I also noticed that the seal that is under the gas spring was off center. Thought this might cause the scratch. That's when I found a burr on the gas spring at the base.

I took the gas spring out and cleaned the seal. Took a small file and knocked down a spur on the gas spring. I took this time to clean up the scratch and polish the mag tube.

I put a light coat of oil on the polished mag tube and wiped it dry with a soft rag. Put the barrel back together without the fore end and cycled the piston for about 15 minutes. Nice and smooth and it does not catch or bind.

Got everything back together and cycled it for about 10 minutes. Very smooth now. Just need to put a bunch of rounds thru it. I invited a friend to run 100+ rounds thru it this weekend.

Hope it runs as good as it feels.

Glad to see you got the burr smoothed out.

I hope that was the cause of the problem and it's now resolved. Looking forward to your range report...

It's actually not the bad. I used an adjustable clamp like the Irwin Quick Grip. Kept it loose while turning the gas spring plug using a small Allen wrench being careful not to mark the barrel.
This keeps it from flying off. Used the same adjustable clamp to put it all back together. Just don't over tighten the clamp before you start the plug into the gas spring opening.
Once the plug is started you can remove the clamp and tighten.
Took a little while to start the thread but it wasn't to hard.

I'm glad I did this. I got a pretty good scratch on the mag tube from the spring.

Back