• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Boresighting

ddovel535

Copper BB
I have a Nikon Prostaff 3X9-40 Scope on my Mossberg 500 slug gun, How can I bore sight the scope before I go to the range, and I only have about 30 ft to work with. I have a laser bore sighter. I thought about putting a target at the end of the bedroom and go in the kitchen and set the shotgun on the table with the laser bore sighter will this give me a basic line up.

Haven't tried that approach. I have an in-barrel setup from Bass pro that shows a crosshatch pattern. I gets you close, on paper at least, with my rifles.

A laser shoots dead straight where your slug doesn't. It starts dropping the second it leaves the barrel (can't beat gravity). If you have a ballistic calculator that shows feet, you may be able to set the scope higher than the laser at 30 feet based on the BC info.

And in case I haven't already said it, Welcome to MO!!

Thanks OhioArcher, Im originally from Ohio, around the springfield area, I just downloaded a ballistics chart from nikon on my Ipad, seems pretty cool but I guess Ill have to trust the range, Im also retired military 23 years in the Army and Coast Guard, my wife was in the Air Force and my father is retired Air Force of 32 years at Wright Pat.

thank you and your family for their service.

Attachments

• TY flag.jpg
    TY flag.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 72
Ditto what Old Mossy said. Retired from the USAF as well. Ex-wife was stationed at WPAFB. That's why I'm in OH.

I'm sure will get that thing driving tacks in no time...

ddovel535 said:
Thanks OhioArcher, Im originally from Ohio, around the springfield area, I just downloaded a ballistics chart from nikon on my Ipad, seems pretty cool but I guess Ill have to trust the range, Im also retired military 23 years in the Army and Coast Guard, my wife was in the Air Force and my father is retired Air Force of 32 years at Wright Pat.

Another Coastie??? Welcome to MO! Whenever I've used a laser bore sighter on my AR15 with ok success as well. My problem was always that the only time I went to the range was the middle of the day... pretty hard to see that laser even at 25yds, but it did eventually get me on paper. I thought I've also seen people do the "eye" bore-sighting by just looking through the barrel, although I doubt this would be beneficial in your case.

Back