• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

bought a 464 yesterday and??

dannyr

Copper BB
hey fellas, i am a newbie, please be kind lol, i just picked up a 464 yesterday and couldn't help but notice that a screw is missing. I don't know the proper term but it's the screw that would keep the pin in bolt where the lever attaches to the bolt. I looked at it when i got home and the hole has no threads for a screw. Do i need a screw?

Agree on picture helping.

Based on my old memory I'm assuming you're talking about the retainer assembly that keeps the cross connector pin in place which joins the bolt to the hand action lever?

If so, again based on memory, there is a plunger, a plunger spring and a retainer pin that is inserted into the back of the bolt that holds the connector pin in place.

If you post a couple of pictures maybe someone who actually has a like gun can verify. I'm going on total memory from years ago because I don't have that model.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Regards

There’s a little screw plug missing there that fills up the hole you have to uncover to get the screw out of the lever and bolt.
mossberg should send you one for free if you just call them but if there are no threads in the receiver they would have to be tapped in.

Normally that’s the kind of a thing where they will make you send the gun back to the factory for repairs.

By the way the gun will operate just fine like that. That little plug is just to keep dirt out of the receiver.

OK here’s a picture of mine but the receivers reversed.

You can see the little plug lying there, (though it’s difficult to see the screwdriver slot in it in this photo) and the link pin which is the one that has a groove at the end of it. It just snaps into place.
80EFEFF2-855A-4DF8-A512-3FD7C88715E0.jpeg

The long pin with the groove in the middle holds the trap door into the receiver. Mossberg doesn’t call it a trap door. I forget what they call it now.

so i need a screw, i figured it was like a winchester 94, the pin could come out while working the action

It wouldn’t be very easy to get it out. There is a detent that keeps it snapped into the bolt.

I suppose with enough time and wear and action it might come loose and jam the mechanism by protruding through that hole.

IMG-20220111-081516.jpg

I think it's #39 on the parts diagram (carrier spring screw) it retains the (link pivot pin) #40

It's what secures your lever pin in the bolt

Back