• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Box O' Truth

Great info.

Their test of setting up multiple layers in spaced intervals really gives an idea of how far it could travel within a house.

I'd be curious to see a test with an exterior wall including insulation, and outer coating (ceder shakes, alum/plastic siding, etc.) I never have more than two interior walls between me and anyone else. Most likely it's only the one exterior wall alone or with one interior wall that separates me from the unseen innocents outside.

I've heard many stories of people getting hit with birdshot turning their chest to hamburger but not penetrating enough to do any real damage to the organs,. The individual pellets just don't carry enough weight. I've hunted grouse with a shotgun since i could legally hunt and I can tell you as fact that bird shot #9 through #5's do not consistently penetrate even these small to medum sized birds. I never tried anything past 5's as I though it was a bit of overkill. #7.5 or #6's seem to doo the best IMHO.

The turkey I hit two years ago had a couple pellets in the top of the breast that did not penetrate very far. Those were #5's out of a 3" magnum 12G round at approx 20 yards.

4. I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint.

I loved #4 on their list of conclusions. LOL

I found that site a few years ago and have found it to be one of the most informative on the web.

MikeD said:
Great info.

Their test of setting up multiple layers in spaced intervals really gives an idea of how far it could travel within a house.

I'd be curious to see a test with an exterior wall including insulation, and outer coating (ceder shakes, alum/plastic siding, etc.) I never have more than two interior walls between me and anyone else. Most likely it's only the one exterior wall alone or with one interior wall that separates me from the unseen innocents outside.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot12.htm

Ooops. Don't know how I missed that one. :oops:

I wish they'd cut to the chase and just do some tests through an actual house. all the different materials, distances between rooms, heck maybe even furniture. perhaps alleging like those old atomic blast tests where they had a whole "life" model set up. budget issues for sure. maybe he could get a guest spot on mythbusters.

Old Painless is frequently on Shotgunworld, and is a long time feature on Arfcom.
If he hasn't done a test, it's usually because of budget or donations. He typically pays for his own materials, although he will do tests by request if somebody supplies him with materials and ammo.

They did some testing awhile back with Dixie Slugs tri-ball and DGS slugs that were eye popping. Either would be good vehicle stopping loads when not used for for hunting.
That's my thought anyway....

SeaScout said:
They did some testing awhile back with Dixie Slugs tri-ball and DGS slugs that were eye popping. Either would be good vehicle stopping loads when not used for for hunting.
That's my thought anyway....
***update***
Apologies to all, the testing I was thinking of on the Tri-ball was on the "bone box" not the box o truth. Going by memory provided a senior moment I guess.
Here is a link to the correct test I was thinking of.
http://shootersforum.com/shotguns-shotg ... e-box.html
Best...

Back