• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Brick by brick...

Razzle

I'm slowly building my ideal Shockwave.

The original purchase didn't cost me a lot. I get 2% cash back on all my purchases from my credit cards, and I waited until I had enough to (almost) pay for the Shockwave. So, after a $40 net purchase, I began looking to upgrade.

The first thing I bought was the Crimson Trace Laser Saddle. For those of you who are on the fence about this, just buy one when you can. It's plastic, but sturdy...and it takes about 5 minutes to install. And if you're a lefty (like me), it's the closest thing to a perfect addition that you can buy. Shooting from the hip becomes a LOT easier, particularly in low light. It also saves skin - as the Laser Saddle covers the sharp edges of the stock safety.

Then I bought a TacStar Slimline Side Saddle shell holder. I debated on this one, because it looked like it would impede my index finger as it reached for the trigger. All other side saddles were obviously too large and would prevent a comfortable purchase with trigger access for a lefty. This one didn't...particularly with minishells.

Which brings me to my OpSol MiniClip purchase. I have no plans on shooting 2 3/4" or 3" shells in the Shockwave. In a few years, I'll get to retire, and my wife and I want to buy an RV and see the country. I think the Shockwave and minishells would be great for (mobile) home defense. So, the MiniClip was a must-have.

To keep the gun protected, and to give me a way to carry it, I bought the Voodoo Tactical Shotgun Scabbard. I considered the breacher's scabbard, but I really wanted it to cover the trigger. I'm glad I made the correct choice on this because it fits perfectly.

Finally, I was browsing Amazon and found the Eagle Rock Gear 550 Paracord 2-point sling. Since I plan on eventually buying a Streamlight TL-Racker light, I needed something to attach to the Raptor grip. This strap had both the HK clips and the swivel clips that attach to the lug at the end of the grip. As it turns out, it was the perfect strap for my needs.

I plan on buying the TL-Racker in the next month or two. I'm also considering the XS Big Dot sight...but I want to get some feedback from those who have actually used one before. I also plan on making my own minishells...as they're either extremely expensive or simply unavailable.

Most of my purchases were made due to information I found here, and I would like to thank the community for their collective expertise. I've often made purchases, and subsequent upgrades, only to find that they didn't perform as expected or didn't fit my needs. This hasn't been the case so far.

Again, thanks to all who have posted their experiences with the Shockwave and aftermarket accessories. You've saved me a lot of time and money.

Sounds like you really enjoy the shockwave and it's working well for you.

It's also nice to see you research the parts to make it your own. It's one thing to just throw a bunch of parts on a gun. Anyone can do that. But, I have a lot more respect for those that make a plan going into it what they want to achieve beforehand and see it through based on what works for them.

Bravo.

Sounds like you really enjoy the shockwave and it's working well for you.

It's also nice to see you research the parts to make it your own. It's one thing to just throw a bunch of parts on a gun. Anyone can do that. But, I have a lot more respect for those that make a plan going into it what they want to achieve beforehand and see it through based on what works for them.

Bravo.

Thanks, John.

I'm one of those guys who researches everything. I'm an educational administrator and the last school I worked at decided to implement a CSSO (Commissioned School Security Officer) Program - which meant arming personnel. When I agreed to join, they gave me the chore of researching the pistol and ammo choice. I probably spend over 200 hours researching ambidextrous pistol options (I'm left-handed) before buying an HK VP9SK. The other members weren't very happy about the choice until they actually held and shot the pistol. Now they wouldn't trade them for another model. The research paid off.

I've been going about my Shockwave build the same way.

Very good!

As my favorite teacher once said "knowledge is power". And since no one was born knowing any of this stuff, there's only one way to learn and that's research whatever you can find.

I'm slowly building my ideal Shockwave.

The original purchase didn't cost me a lot. I get 2% cash back on all my purchases from my credit cards, and I waited until I had enough to (almost) pay for the Shockwave. So, after a $40 net purchase, I began looking to upgrade.

The first thing I bought was the Crimson Trace Laser Saddle. For those of you who are on the fence about this, just buy one when you can. It's plastic, but sturdy...and it takes about 5 minutes to install. And if you're a lefty (like me), it's the closest thing to a perfect addition that you can buy. Shooting from the hip becomes a LOT easier, particularly in low light. It also saves skin - as the Laser Saddle covers the sharp edges of the stock safety.

Then I bought a TacStar Slimline Side Saddle shell holder. I debated on this one, because it looked like it would impede my index finger as it reached for the trigger. All other side saddles were obviously too large and would prevent a comfortable purchase with trigger access for a lefty. This one didn't...particularly with minishells.

Which brings me to my OpSol MiniClip purchase. I have no plans on shooting 2 3/4" or 3" shells in the Shockwave. In a few years, I'll get to retire, and my wife and I want to buy an RV and see the country. I think the Shockwave and minishells would be great for (mobile) home defense. So, the MiniClip was a must-have.

To keep the gun protected, and to give me a way to carry it, I bought the Voodoo Tactical Shotgun Scabbard. I considered the breacher's scabbard, but I really wanted it to cover the trigger. I'm glad I made the correct choice on this because it fits perfectly.

Finally, I was browsing Amazon and found the Eagle Rock Gear 550 Paracord 2-point sling. Since I plan on eventually buying a Streamlight TL-Racker light, I needed something to attach to the Raptor grip. This strap had both the HK clips and the swivel clips that attach to the lug at the end of the grip. As it turns out, it was the perfect strap for my needs.

I plan on buying the TL-Racker in the next month or two. I'm also considering the XS Big Dot sight...but I want to get some feedback from those who have actually used one before. I also plan on making my own minishells...as they're either extremely expensive or simply unavailable.

Most of my purchases were made due to information I found here, and I would like to thank the community for their collective expertise. I've often made purchases, and subsequent upgrades, only to find that they didn't perform as expected or didn't fit my needs. This hasn't been the case so far.

Again, thanks to all who have posted their experiences with the Shockwave and aftermarket accessories. You've saved me a lot of time and money.

I made the following upgrades to my Shockwave.

Run down:
S&J Hardware plus one extension.
NDZ red anodized aluminum follower.
Longer magazine spring, Wolf springs.
NDZ FDE aluminum oversized safety.
Streamlight TL-Racker forend.
Carlson Magnaported barrel.
Bigdot front sight.
Mesa Tactical Polymer six round side saddle.
Pachmayr slip-on grip.
OpSol minishell adapter.

I've finally completed it. The last piece of the puzzle was the Streamlight TL Racker. Of course in my rush to install it, I scratched up the feed tube, but I can live with that, as I don't plan for the Shockwave to be a safe queen. I'll get to really test it out next weekend (along with my homebrew minishells), so I'll have a better idea of what I've got. But it's been fun so far.

Pics please!

Sorry for the delayed response. I'll try to get a few pics next weekend.

Back