• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buckshot Pattern Test

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
That's good info.

Certainly makes follow-up shots in no/low light conditions a bit more challenging...

Not if you blink your eyes closed for a split second. ;)

Yes Sir, those are the ones I picked up.

Wrenches said:
Not if you blink your eyes closed for a split second. ;)

I don't like the idea of closing my eyes while firing a weapon in a defensive situation, even if for only a split second...

Finished up round two of my buckshot pattern test this morning...

Left to Right - Remington Express Magnum 00, Federal Premium Vital Shock Magnum 00, Hornady Critical Defense 00, Winchester SXZ Personal Protection 00, Winchester Super X 00

Same as last time, all rounds were fired at 10 yd through my 18.5" 930 Tactical...

Here are the results on target:

Remington Express Magnum 2-3/4" 00 Buck
MFG#: 12SB00
Pellets: 12
Velocity: 1290 fps
Actual Length: 2.35"
Price: $6.99 / 5 rounds ($1.40 a round)

Was a bit surprised to see the Remington put up such a wide and scattered 11" spread...

Federal Premium Vital Shock Magnum 2-3/4" 00 Buck (copper plated)
MFG#: P15600
Pellets: 12
Velocity: 1290 fps
Actual Length: 2.34"
Price: $8.49 / 5 rounds ($1.70 a round)

The Federal put up a nice 6" grouping around center mass...

Hornady Critical Defense 2-3/4" 00 Buck (Versatite Wad)
MFG#: 86240
Pellets: 8
Velocity: 1600 fps
Actual Length: 2.23"
Price: $13.49 / 10 rounds ($1.35 a round)

Not surprising considering the Versatite wad, but the Hornady printed a tight 3-1/2" spread with six of the nine pellets contained in a 1" group...

Winchester SXZ Personal Protection 2-3/4" 00 Buck
MFG#: SXZ1200
Pellets: 9
Velocity: 1325 fps
Price: $7.49 / 5 rounds ($1.50 a round)

The Winchester SXZ put up a nice 6-1/2" spread in center mass...

Winchester Super X 2-3/4" 00 Buck
MFG#: XB1200
Pellets: 9
Velocity: 1325 fps
Price: $6.49 / 5 rounds ($1.30 a round)

The Winchester Super X printed in a 7" pattern that was a bit scattered left of center...

Nice LES and thanks for the effort! I am finding in general that Remington ammo is not on the top on my list anymore. That was a heck of a spread for the distance.

Absolutely.

I was pretty shocked to see that poor a result from the Remington. For benefit of doubt I fired off a couple more rounds into a cardboard backer just to see if I got different results, but the patterns were all consistent with the one I posted...

Great info LES. Thanks for taking the time and sharing with us.
Looks like the Hornady CD won that round.

It's put up the tightest group overall so far, that's for sure.

However, this test has me thinking. With all but three of the pellets impacting in a 1" area one must question what benefit such a tight group would give over say a 1oz slug? One would think that more spread out of the pellets would increase the likelihood of the shot penetrating multiple vitals. I'm thinking the overall best choice for defensive buckshot might not necessarily be the one with the tightest group...

Good point. I think John A and mingaa are talking about a 1oz Lee slug loaded backwards to see what damage it will do.

Thank you for this great round two. You have done another first class job. I'm glad to hear you gave the Remington a second and third chance and the results were the same.

Personally, I like it when the buckshot groups tightly. I would rather have a tighter group so longer ranges would still be "in play". That critical defense was very tight. I got some pretty tight groups with my Federal tactical low recoil buck a while back.

Will there be a round three?

Loving it LES. looks like your having a lot of fun blasting paper bad guys. I know I would be enjoying it.

LES, are you gonna stick with the 930 or switch to a 590? Just wondering if the patterns would change.

For evaluating new rounds I'd like to stick with the 930 in order to keep things consistent. I still have several rounds left of everything I've tried so far so I could go back and send some through one of my pumps. Can't imagine an extra 1.5" in a 20" barrel is gonna change things much, but it wouldn't hurt to try it out...

LES what did you think about the muzzle flash on the Hornady Critical Defense rounds? I don't notice it as much with the 2 3/4", 9 pellet buckshot 00 rounds from Federal or Remington.

I'm wondering LES, you use a bench rest in your tests? I'm curious if the Super-X OO have a tendency to migrate off center. Was there follow ups to check for consistency?

Back