1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Budget Rifle Project *now with pics*

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by Rossignol, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Djcala

Djcala .30-06 Supporter

Very nicely done Ross.
    Rossignol likes this.
  2. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator Sponsor

I sent him a message some time ago but haven't heard back from him.
  3. Rossignol

Thank you! I'm tryin, and it keeps getting better. These groups are becoming more common. Now I just have to eliminate that flier!
  4. John A.

John A. Unconstitutional laws are not laws. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

Me too. I've been hearing how many wildfires are going on. I figure that he's just working a lot.

But back on topic, hornady makes pretty good ammo.

A lot better than freedom. I stopped buying that junk when it blew up in my machinegun. Don't want anything else blowing up in my face.
  5. Rossignol

Yeah, I was hesitant to buy the freedom and I had asked because I knew I had seen a couple of you guys talking about bad ammo and it seemed limited to the pistol ammo so I took a chance.

Now, as far as the Hornady goes, I haven't shot as well with it. It's most likely me the shooter and not a commentary on the ammo. I'm getting better, and this is the second time I've shot groups with 4 rounds touching. So, I could revisit the Hornady but I don't like the price. I'd rather pay for the Nosler if I'm going to spend that much. Otherwise the freedom is doing fine. I can get 50 rounds of the freedom for a couple dollars more than 20 of the Hornady or Nosler.
  6. John A.

John A. Unconstitutional laws are not laws. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

I've reloaded a lot of the .308 190 gr noslers in the blackout.

I buy them because they're cheaper than the sierra matchkings.

You can often see little protrusions from one side of where the hollow point is formed on the noslers. That probably doesn't lend too well where utmost accuracy is concerned.
  7. Rossignol

I'll have to take a look at that. I've not noticed.
  8. John A.

Not sure how well I can get a picture of what I'm trying to explain this morning, but here are 2 different noslers I pulled out of the jar at random.

The tip around where they formed the hollow point is what I was trying to explain last night.

I don't use them for long range or uber accuracy. And this is zoomed in on macro. It doesn't look as bad at arms length ;)

noslers 002.JPG

noslers 001.JPG
  9. dieselmudder

dieselmudder .30-06 Elite Member "Philanthropist"

Are those new, or "blem" bullets John? Shooters pro shop sells Nosler blem bullets at discount. And as far as I know they're the only second hand outlet for Nosler.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
  10. John A.

11. Rossignol

Wow, those are crazy lookin!

The ones I have are the tipped Varmageddon.
  12. dieselmudder

I've shot a lot of the blems, for the short distances they do fine for me. The 77 grain blems did better than factory first Sierra in my reloads. I had given thought to buying a meplat trimmer, just to square them up, but I never got around to it.

13. dieselmudder

Brad, it may be worthwhile to check Shooters Pro shop occasionally. Sometimes they have blem, or overrun loaded ammo. I got some 69, and 77 grain loaded rounds when I was still figuring out what my first AR build liked.

Rossignol likes this.
  14. Rossignol

This isn't as clear as what you were able to get. I could lent get it to focus on the rounds themselves.

IMG_1652.JPG