• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bug-out Vehicles (BOV's)

Mine is my 92 gm K1500 with 1 ton drivetrain and a turbo diesel. Still needs some work, but it's capable as is for my needs :) I'll try to find a decent picture

ok, so i gotta have a go at this one! i believe I have the best BOV as my EDR (every day ride) it is an ex british army diesel Landrover defender 90 hard top, it has NO power steering, NO AC, No roll up windows electrical or otherwise, NO computer, Not much of anything really, Its about as basic a a truck can get, thats why the military like em, theres just nothing to go wrong that cant be fixed with a basic tool set, it gets great MPG about 24, it has long reach coil springs for comfort and off road ability, permanent 4X4 so you dont forget to shift into it if things get sticky, has 4 hi and 4 low forward gears plus the reverse in each, and of course the whole body is aluminium, so no weight or rust issues there, , (apart from the white powder rot that can occur where different metals combine) the chassis is all box section so easy peasy to maintain /repair, apart from that since i brought it over about 4 years ago, it has dealt with the canadian winters without fail, pulled out other much newer much larger trucks, and been admired by all, plus the coil springs really help on the rough Nova scotian roads!!! epsecially when i get a fire call and go hammering down the road at all hours!!! so lets recap,
good on fuel, Check!
easy/cheap to maintain Check!
able to deal with just about any weather or road/off road conditions, Check!
NO electronic wizardy that can get fried! Check!
wow looks like this one will be hard to beat, and as for cost effectiveness, did i mention that it is a 1986? and still running strong? well thats great value for money in anyones book,
lots of newer "better" trucks are left in it's trail (not by speed cos its as slow as cold mollasses on the hills) but in every other way it just cant be beat! heres the pld gal outside my place this winter, minus 20 and still starting up just fine wth 20 seconds on the heater plugs!!
Enjoy!
buddypics091.jpg

I have an 05 Chevy Trailblazer EXT. Seating for 7, lots of space, 4x4, 22 miles per gallon, and parts easy to find and I know how to fix it when it breaks. All of that being said where will I get gas from to drive it around when the world ends? I guess it all depends on if, what, when, and how this goes down. I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

I'm a landrover fan also. They are easy to fix/maintain :) and have lots of room to modify. Recently there was a landrover pickup '76 on sale for $950.00 on Craigslist. It was going to become my next restoration project (to be towed behind my rv/BOV. Unfortunately, the owner sold it within 1 day of posting. Now it is on Craigslist again. The new owner wants $12,000.00 for it. I does not seem like he did anything to it. They are great vehicles.

J.L. said:
I'm a landrover fan also. They are easy to fix/maintain :) and have lots of room to modify. Recently there was a landrover pickup '76 on sale for $950.00 on Craigslist. It was going to become my next restoration project (to be towed behind my rv/BOV. Unfortunately, the owner sold it within 1 day of posting. Now it is on Craigslist again. The new owner wants $12,000.00 for it. I does not seem like he did anything to it. They are great vehicles.

Yep i have been a landy driver for over 25 years, have owned jeeps and other japanese thing over the years, but always the landy won through, and in the last 25 years i have never been without at least one landy! at the moment i have 2, the 90 (here in Canada) and an ex military lwb series 2a, 1961 vintage as my daily driver when i am there, one day when i have the spare money it will join me here, had it far too long to ever sell it, and if you can believe it, its even MORE basic than the 90!!! :lol:

the 90 is up for sale incidentaly i have it on kijiji halifax for 18000 i think, (been a while ) the funds from its sale will allow me to bring my other one over, as for the craigs list guy, well it sounds like a much older landy than my 90, so my 90's price looks even better :lol: ehhehe, cheers, dave

Sweet rig Dave! How commonplace are those up here in Canada? Wouldn't mind picking one up!

Found a few pics of my rig

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330521651.576312.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330521651.576312.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 615
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330521724.828879.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330521724.828879.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 612
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330521741.781510.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330521741.781510.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 611
I kind of think of it the same way as your landrover in a sense, mechanical turbo diesel, no computer or electronics to fail.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330521778.748790.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330521778.748790.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 605
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330521796.191971.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330521796.191971.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 607
bellofello said:
I kind of think of it the same way as your landrover in a sense, mechanical turbo diesel, no computer or electronics to fail.[/quote

Nice lot of mud you got there, looks like your truck will do ok if the roads fail!

Landys are here in canada in fairly large numbers, but tend to be the older style "series" gasoline ones, with leaf springs, they are low tech in the extreme, and just keep on going, you can find them on kijiji quite often, or if you want to pay double the price look on ebay in the states, the ones like i have the "defender" models, are a little more comfortable, with coils and decent diesel engines,not racing cars cos they are never gonna scare you with sheer speed :lol:
but the ride etc is better, they look mostly the same as the series ones, the main change being the flush radiator panel, to account for the gearbox motor changes, and the wheel arch "eyebrows" to cover the wider axles, and the one piece taller windshield, but thats about it to the untrained casual eye.
they are cheap in the UK, a bit like old jeeps are here, but her in canada they seem to fetch much higher prices, but whatever they cost, the truth is they just keep on going, the only steel on them is the frame, and bulkhead, the rest of the body is aluminium, so that helps,
if you get one you will love it or hate it almost immediately! :roll: if you love it your finished, you will never be without one , if you hate it, it will grow on you, and then you're finished cos you will never be without one!! and they tend to breed! i know several landy owners who have 2 or more in various stages of "repair" or "restoration" look on the M O R E forum, maritime org of rover enthusiasts, it will give you an idea! glad you like it cheers, Dave

Out of curiosity, how large is the engine bay on the older leaf spring style gas trucks?

The initial image that came to mind was:
-12valve cummins mechanical turbo diesel (worked a bit of course)
-with 1ton drivetrain (trans/transfer case/axles/etc)
-smallest amount of lift possible to clear larger (37-39"?) tires.

I'd rather trim fenders that do a 6" lift and whack out your center of gravity.

I'm more into a slow crawling torquey little train engine that could, than a modern "comfy" truck when it comes to my end of world bov.

The land rover diesel seems like a perfect choice.

bellofello said:
Out of curiosity, how large is the engine bay on the older leaf spring style gas trucks?

The initial image that came to mind was:
-12valve cummins mechanical turbo diesel (worked a bit of course)
-with 1ton drivetrain (trans/transfer case/axles/etc)
-smallest amount of lift possible to clear larger (37-39"?) tires.

I'd rather trim fenders that do a 6" lift and whack out your center of gravity.

I'm more into a slow crawling torquey little train engine that could, than a modern "comfy" truck when it comes to my end of world bov.

The engine bay on all series and defender models is a huge empty hole, basicly look at the shape of the hood, and thats the size of the engine bay, people have fitted all kinds of motors in them, v8 are no problem, with all kinds of gearbox choices! underneath there is tons of space due to the box chassis, and people have converted leaf to coil airbags etc, , and i once saw active suspension, which was pneumatic pistons like big shocks, which could have auto or manual height and ride stiffness, could even control indepenantly all 4 corners, so if on a side slope on steep hill, you could let down the uphill side, and raise the downhill side so you travelled level! :mrgreen:
no idea if they still make em but more to go wrong i suppose, the landy has good clearance as standard so no real need for lifts, and hi and lo gears 2 and 4x4 shift, and on defenders perm 4x4 and a centre diff lock, as a stock truck goes it is just about perfect, (think jeep guys will disagree hehehe :lol: )

I know I'm late to the party here, but have any of you ever considered one of these?

636f.jpg

One of the great things it does is run on almost any kind of fuel that burns - including used engine oil!

Deuce and a half? Runs on kerosene, alcohol, oil, gas, diesel, anything that burns?

I would love to have one. They aren't road legal in Canada unfortunately due to the air over hydraulic brakes.

My wifes' Father recently passed away and she inherited his belongings.

She was going to sell all his vehicles, but I talked to her and asked her to keep his 2000 silverado Z71. I just hated to see it go.

It has plenty of room, and plenty of power, lots of clearance. Not the best on mpg's, but not as bad as some 4x4 trucks I've owned or used at work.

I'm not planning on bugging out anytime soon, but if I did, I know I could depend on it to get us there, short of an EMP.

2000z71silverado002.jpg

sticker032.jpg

This is my new BOV...2014 Ram 2500 Power Wagon that I picked up this past week for hunting and hauling my race car.

p652571515-4.jpg

p762854257-4.jpg

p605600907-4.jpg

p688188304-4.jpg

p857352573-4.jpg

p861605637-4.jpg

p576871525-4.jpg

p935094550-4.jpg

p1050482854-4.jpg

p597895176-4.jpg
p570682445-4.jpg

p882323355-4.jpg