• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR15 Rifles and Pistols I have built.

BTW how's the Holosun Green Elite sight? I'm seriously considering it for my AR-9 Build
It is very nice so far. It has a pause between the time you press the brightness adjustment to when it actually changes, which takes a little getting used to, but that's minor. It is a huge step up from the Holosun 515BU that was on it. To be fair, they are not the same type of sight, but I like the bigger screen of the reflex over the smaller red dot. It is a smidge heavier as well, but that's minor to me too. So far on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it an 8, point deducted for price, $329 @ Optics Planet, and a point off for the starburst that the dot gives off, but I have astigmatism, so some of it is me. I have a Trijicon RM07 on my Glock 40 10mm that is a nice sharp dot, but that little sucker cost me over $400 at Cabela's Bargain Cave.
Overall I am happy with it, and feel it will last me a lifetime of shooting with it. I would recommend it for a PDW sized weapon, or a PCC.

I've got the Primary Arms/Holosun with ACSS on my 9mm pistol build. Pretty happy with it, not sure how it compares with the Elite series, although they look very similar. I swapped to a lower mount than it came with though.

I finished converting my Windham Weaponry MPC from an M4 style rifle over to a Recce Rifle. I installed a UTG Pro Super Slim 15" Keymod rail with a BCM Vertical foregrip and a set of the UTG BUIS. I love the looks of a Recce Rifle, the longer sight radius for the BUIS is a bonus as is the ability to add accessories as needed.
This particular rifle has a 1 in 9" rifled barrel. It shot the Frontier 62 gr. SP 5.56mm round into an 1 1/2" @ 100 before I put the UTG Keymod rail on it. I also installed an ALG Defense ACT trigger with a set Kaw Valley Precision springs. Hopefully between these 2 mods, the accuracy will at least stay the same if not improve.

Yeah, I would suspect that if anything, you may even see a slight improvement with all else being equal.

I bet you'd even see a daylight and dark improvement if you could find you some 45 gr gr bullets as long as the wind wasn't blowing much. Best group I ever got period from a 1:9 barrel was with 45 gr varmint tips. Almost looked like a single hole.

But if all else stays the same, you didn't hurt the gun for sure. Floating the barrel and a better trigger. Longer sight radius. All go towards improving what the gun is capable of.

I have some Winchester White Box 45 gr. Varmint rounds. I may try them out as I have never shot them in an AR before.

Yeah, shoot a few and see how they do.

The 45 grainers get more velocity. They'll be screaming their way downrange ;)

Anybody have any experience using one piece gas rings on their AR bolts? Seems like a good idea, but I have never tried them. McFarland makes them as well as Kaw Valley Precision (well, at least they sell them). I am thinking of going to them on one rifle, but I have not had any problems with the existing gas rings, so I am kinda torn.

I use them on my SBR uppers. I see a pistol length being no different.

My reasoning for using them on the sbr's is the increased pressures and heat associated with sbr's.

I have not had any problems from using them in those uppers. They have held up really well and I can say that I like them.

With that said, any moving part is going to wear out eventually. Even the 1 piece rings.

If you can place the bolt extended out and face down on a table and it won't hold the weight of the carrier up, it's time to replace your gas rings.

And having spare parts is never a bad thing. Even if you install the 1 piece ring, it's not a bad idea to keep the 3 rings as spares hidden away in a grip or something for another day.

That was my plan, to store the 3 piece rings away for spares. Thanks for the tip on the ring wear, I never knew how to check them other than for broken rings. I will start incorporating that into my cleaning procedures. I was thinking on that check, and I bet most of the M16A2's we had in my unit would fail that check. We started out with A1's that I guarantee would fail. :chaingun:

Thought I would post a pic of the Windham. I shot it the other day indoors at 50 yards and it will shoot 3 shot groups into a nickel, so the free float rail and trigger springs appear to have worked, but I still have to shoot it @ 100 yards.
Windham Weaponry MPC 2.0 LS.jpg

Just an update on Shorty P. I installed a Midwest 3 1/3" Blast Can and swapped out the UTG Pro 7" rail for a UTG Pro 9" rail to give me a little more room to hold onto. It handles and feels better now and the muzzle blast should be much better.

Shorty P 5.0.jpg

I also have built up another lower to the point of adding the receiver extension. I am wanting the X Products Can Cannon. That looks like alot of fun with the rubber balls they sell.

Thats' a really good looking gun.

I wish the handguard would be a little larger inside diameter. If they were, I'd buy one for my blackout upper.

Thanks a bunch.
The I.D. at the muzzle end of the rail is 1.378" and the O.D. of a 7.62 Blast Can is supposed to be 1.2".
Dunno if this helps or not. I know some of the .30 cal suppressors are larger O.D.

I didn't think about the .30 cans being that big. A buddy of mine has my old YHM quad rail that was 1.75 I.D. on his suppressed .300 BLK so I should have figured. He has an Octane.

Yeah, I'm using the 1.75" ID freefloated handguard with mine because I had to have one to fit the can under it. But after getting to handle MikeD's big bore upper, I really liked the smaller diameter handguards that he had on that upper.

The newer slim rails are way better than the quads. I do have an off brand chinese quad that is just under 1 1/2" I.D. The top and bottom rails are normal height like a DD, but the sides are only about 1/8th tall. It feels good but not like the UTG Pro rails.

Yeah, the one I'm using on my blk is a keymod, though the top rail is built in.

hRuiyeC.jpg

Good looking rifle. Is that an Atlas bipod or one of the recent copies that have came out? I would like an Atlas for my Remmy 700 AAC-SD, bu they are awfully pricey.

That one was a knockoff. I bought it to see if I'd like it because there's no way I'm paying $200 for a bipod.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really care much for it.

About the only thing I like about it is that it's able to adjust the angle on each leg if you're laying in the dirt somewhere *uneven ground*, which I really like, but that's it. You'd be better off just filling up a little sack with airsoft bb's and using it as a shooting rest.

Back