• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bullets vs. automobiles

Nice to see official police testing instead of the usual YouTube backyard stuff. Unfortunately the ammo is not what I use, caliber or brand, but it's still possible to extrapolate. And I already knew that cars were poor cover, but was surprised by how weak A-pillars are. Not that I would necessarily use those, but because of rollover resistance testing they have become massive on modern cars. Then again that Skylark junker was not all that recent.

Great read; thank you. :cool:

. . . was surprised by how weak A-pillars are. Not that I would necessarily use those, but because of rollover resistance testing they have become massive on modern cars. . . .

The metal is thinner than ever. The pillars look big, but are mainly just big hollow tubes welded from thin sheetmetal.

If you have ever seen it in a movie, chances are, it is wrong.

Diving behind walls and couches and chairs and kitchen tables don't stop bullets either.

spamassassin is correct, concealment and cover are two different things.

Military Arms Channel just uploaded a video of common 9mm defense rounds through barrier, Very interesting to see how they react to 22 gauge sheet metal.

TV shows crack me up. Love it when people hide behind walls, doors, appliances etc and are magically safe from bullets. I've shot enough at the dump to know otherwise.

The only thing in my house that I think might stop a handgun round would be my old cast iron bath tub (but I'm not going to test that theory), I don't think anything in the house would stop a rifle round on it's own.

I would question whether the engine block on some of these newer cars would even stop a rifle round unless it hit dead center.

Hollywood is and has been the worst teacher of firearm physics and history, but people who have never experienced otherwise eat it up like it's gospel.

My .22 pistol shoots through 19 ga steel computer cases at 25 yards, easily.
Cars haven't been that thick since the 1950s.

Back