• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bushnell TRS-32 on Mossberg 930 SPX Blackwater

Duane

I've got one of these that I bought to use on a Mossberg 930 SPX Blackwater Edition semi-auto shotgun.

DSCN0831_zps4d46e00c.jpg

I love it BTW. It's ALMOST perfect. When I shoulder the weapon, my eye is right in the middle of the TRS-32.

The ONLY thing that I don't like about it is the position of the co-witness hole in the base/mount/ring (whatever it should be called).

It's (the co-witness hole) just slightly too high for my ghost ring iron sights. I can see them, but the lower about 1/3 of the ghost ring is blocked.

My question is this:

Is there a different base/mount/ring available that might work better?

Or would my best bet be to modify the one that I have?

BTW, I tried putting my TRS-25 on there, and while I like the way the sight looks, I can't see the ghost ring at all.

Someone told me that their TRS-25 co-witnesses perfectly THROUGH the red dot sight. (Instead of under it like I'm trying with the TRS-32). But THEY have a Mossberg 930 SPX (not the Blackwater Edition). The ghost ring sights on a Blackwater are a little lower than a regular SPX.

I think it'd be fairly easy to have a machinist do this for me. But if there's and off the shelf mount available...

I'm looking forward to any ideas you have.

Thanks,

Duane

Duh, looking at the picture, I figured out why I couldn't get my "one hand adjustable" sling to work with one hand anymore.

:roll:

I had it attached upside down. When I switched it, guess what? It works again.

Duh.

Duane

Nice pictures andf report on the Bushnell TRS-32. Sorry I can't help you with a different base option. Please share a range report and maybe a target too.

When I spoke to a Bushnell CS guy earlier today, he told me that that was the only mount that they had to offer, and had no suggestions for another.

He told me that it was intended to be used on an AR-15, and said that my best option would be to have the co-witness hole elongated slightly lower.

And that's probably what I'll do. I have a machinist friend that could do it for me.

I was just hoping to find an easier, off the shelf way...

Or maybe I'll get used to it, like it is...

Thanks,

Duane

this is exactly why I wonder why guys hound over the blackwater when the spx has a removable and fully adjustable rear and front fiber optics setup(front is adjustable too). going to make cowitness and rail accessory options a lot more versatile...

is there not a really low profile reflex sight that would cowitness with that blackwater ghost ring?

Poopypants,

I bought what I could find, at that time. I didn't know much about the differences then.

My mistake. I know more now. :D

Having said that, I am still VERY happy with this shotgun.

It shoots wonderfully. I like it a LOT.

Yep, I've still got to work out a couple things, but over-all, I am DELIGHTED with it.

You asked:

is there not a really low profile reflex sight that would cowitness with that blackwater ghost ring?

I'd like to know the answer to that question myself.

Thanks,

Duane

Simply put, no there is not.

Even the lowest profile MRDS still have a base that houses the battery and mounting brackets. These bases attach to the top of the picatinny rail and the center line of the red dot sits well above the line of sight through the ghost rings making a co-witness virtually impossible...

The weather was very pleasant today, so I took the new baby to the range this afternoon.

Previously, I'd only fired #8 bird-shot through it, using the ghost ring sights.

My intention was to first sight in the ghost ring sight with slugs, and then sight in the
TRS-32.

The good news is that it didn't take but about 5 shots each (1 shot at a time) to accomplish this. :D

The bad news is that I haven't shot slugs in a very long time, and I'd forgotten about
how hard they kicked. :cry: (They do make a nice .73 caliber hole in the target though).

So I sat the shotgun to the side and played with the 45 for a while.

When I was done with the 45 fun, I tried the SPX with the bird-shot and the TRS-32.

I'm happy with the results. :D

Duane

Nice! Glad it went well too. Don't let that Mossberg collect dust.

Back