• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

c-lect choke ammo question

I have a 385kb 20 gauge with a c-lect choke on it. I would like to know what I can and can't shoot (i.e. slugs) through this. I don't know a lot about shotgun chokes and such and don't want to destroy the barrel.

I would avoid steel, hevi, etc shot unless you know it is rated for it. I do not know off hand.

Slugs rifled slugs will be fine. I would keep the choke more open for these.

I have an adjustable choke on my 16ga pump. I think mine is a Nobel vari-choke gold letter

No way I'd try to shoot slugs through it, but that's just me.

Here's what the owners manual says about the c-lect choke:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

clect choke.PNG

The C-LECT-CHOKE adjustment is instant and positive. Heretofore, the average shooter had the selection of buying guns with four different degrees of choke; the FULL CHOKE, for long range shooting of 40 yards or over; the MODIFIED, for medium range shooting from 30 to 35 yards; the IMPROVED CYLINDER, for close range shooting of 20 to 30 yards; and the FULL CYLINDER, for very close range shooting up to 20 yards. The C-LECT-CHOKE gives you the choice of these four degrees of choke plus any in between adjustment that may be desired.

To set the C-LECT-CHOKE for FULL CHOKE (FULL) turn the adjusting sleeve until the rear edge of the sleeve "A" touches the front edge of the line just ahead of the word "FULL" on the index plate "B". For MODIFIED (MOD) or IMPROVED CYLINDER (I. CYL.) settings turn the sleeve "A" to the lines ahead of these words on the index plate. The sleeve may be set to any of these chokes or to any point in between to obtain any degree of choke desired. To adjust to FULL CYLINDER BORE, which is for extra close shooting, turn the adjusting sleeve one full turn beyond IMPROVED CYLINDER. NEVER SHOOT THE GUN WITH THE CHOKE TURNED ANY FURTHER THAN CYLINDER BORE AND NEVER SHOOT THE GUN WITHOUT THE ADJUSTING SLEEVE IN PLACE. NEVER ADJUST CHOKE WHEN GUN IS LOADED.

Rifled slugs and buckshot can be used in the C-LECT-CHOKE at any setting. For best results we recommend that it be set at CYLINDER BORE.

For cleaning and oiling, the adjustment sleeve can he removed by turning it all the way off the threads and pulling off.

Removing any accumulation of lead assures better patterns.

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN SETTINGS

If, for any reason, the index plate "B" is removed and you lose your setting, you will find underneath the index plate, a scratch mark which was put on at the factory. By turning the adjusting sleeve "A" up to this scratch mark, you automatically have a FULL CHOKE setting. You can then insert the index plate under the sleeve "A" until the FULL CHOKE line comes even to the edge of sleeve "A" and then put in and tighten sight "C".

FORM NO. 1686

I have shot more than a few slugs through my C-left 12ga.
Open it up a bit and it should fine

Back