• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

C-LECT Choke Question

PjayUK66

.22LR
Hey guys can I ask a question to those more experienced with the 500's than me..

The front bead is missing from my 600AT, it has the ribbed barrel and a C-LECT adjustable choke. The gun works fine now i fixed the trigger thanks to the advice from this great forum! I bought a bead from a gunshop and went to install it it went on no problems but i noticed something a little odd to me. Where the rib and barrel has been tapped the hole goes straight through into the barrel. I confirmed this by inserting a small needle it does indeed go through the rib, choke and barrel! Now i know that the previous owner had this gun for years and used it often but that just seems unusual to me, is it normal are they supposed to be installed this way?

I don't believe the gun has had any work done by it's previous owner (although i will check) so would appreciate any views or comments from you guys please. Gun is in great condition the barrel is mint with no pits, rust or dents.

Appreciate your responses guys!

Good morning.

I don't have a polychoke, though I do have a noble adjustable vary chek, which are made very similar in one of my 16 gauge shotguns.

The hole is not drilled through the barrel on it.

With the way the adjustable chokes are made, as long as the front sight bead doesn't protrude down into the barrel itself, which could snag onto the wadding (and could potentially go very badly), and as long as the choke can still be turned/adjusted, I don't know that it would hurt anything. If it is too long, I would definitely use a fine file and remove some of the length to prevent it from being able to stick down completely through the barrel.

From looking at the polychoke, the bead is well behind the adjustable part of the choke and shouldn't interfere with the choke itself.

$_1.JPG

if it doesn't go into the barrel, and doesn't affect the choke being turned and adjusted, will be fine.

If the c lect choke and the nobles choke are similar internally, the large knurled end is the only moving part of the choke. Other than the internal sleeve of course, but the travel of the internal sleeve won't move as far rearward as the bead location.

The hole in the barrel doesn't matter, as long as the threads of the bead aren't projecting into the bore.
Consider ported barrels, 16 holes bored into the barrel, and no ill effects.

Where the barrel has been tapped the hole goes straight through into the barrel.

This is normal on all Mossberg barrels. As others have said it is not a problem unless the bead protrudes into the bore. This only happens if a long-shank 590A1 bead is installed in a standard barrel.

Speaking of oversized beads. The C-lect bead is oversized to hold down the indicator for the choke. It uses the same threads but the hexagonal section is enlarged and also has slightly longer thread shank. These oversized beads are not available and if one must be replaced we recommend using a long shank 590A1 bead.

Thank you for your advice, I have managed to get a replacement bead from the guys at Havlin. Had it delivered to my hotel while I am in Texas on business. I'll install it when I get home, I guess I'll need to take the gun to a pattern plate as there is no index scratch on anywhere on my choke so I have nothing to set up as a reference...

But hey I dont care even without the index plate the gun goes bang every time and kills pigeons just fine!

Back