• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

C serial number Mossberg 500

Conn 500

.270 WIN
Have the opportunity to purchase an old Mossberg with the serial number beginning with the letter C. Early 70s manufacture with the scalloped design bolt. Does anyone know if this 70's era 500 has the old rocker style bolt?

Don't hold me to it but lookin' around I see a 1972 has the older bolt and a 1976 has the older bolt.

They are interchangeable with the newer ones using the complete bolt and slide.

I can have the old Mossy for $170. All I have are email photos, so I can't disassemble it or function test it yet. I know it works fine, my buddy's dad was duck hunting on Long Island Sound with it this season. I'd love to keep it stock and especially save the scalloped bolt. Rocker types are harder to find parts for if there's an eventual issue. Little scratched up and the barrel shows some bright spots- in other words, a classic Mossberg 500. I need a 5th 500 like I need a speeding ticket, but it's a hobby.

I have 4 and wouldn't think twice about adding a fifth for that price and especially the age.

great investments I like the older ones too with nice wood not a zombie machine however they do have there place damn zombie great overall gun you can beat them up and they ask for more

As long as tbe receiver is in good shape, there is nothing else that cannot be easily fixed/replaced.

When I say the receiver in good shape I mean no dents, cracks or things that render it unsafe/inoperable. Other scratches, oxidation, dirt, sludge buildup, etc can be cleaned up.

Let it go. Just too many 500s. Really wanted an older, 1970s 500 though. Then again, I don't think he sold it yet...........ugh. Maybe he'll take a trade for my most "modern" 1991 500A with a 28" field barrel.

I just saw a 500 for $125 and a Maverick for $150 in the marketplace of another local forum. Neither were stock but had good receivers. Good deals can be had for the patient.

I PM'd the guy on one $125 500A but have not heard back.

Back