• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cam pics

Good picture.

I've had several circumstances where I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have pictures of an animal not barely even 30 minutes after I left my blind or stand. LOL

Good picture.

I've had several circumstances where I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have pictures of an animal not barely even 30 minutes after I left my blind or stand. LOL
Heck yes kinda like finding deer tracks all around your truck after you spent 5 hours sitting in a tree.

Well I went out and shot an animal last night, and it's probably the first time in about 35 years.

There was a possum tree'd up at the fence line between our dogs and the neighbor dogs. This was the second night in a row that he had been out there stirring them up.

I rolled out of bed half asleep, looked wistfully at (and then passed on) the 12 gauge Cruiser, and went right to the .177 Benjamin pellet rifle.

It's illegal to discharge a real firearm where I live.

This was about a 6 or 7 lb possum, and I wasn't sporting at all. I put 4 pellets in his head from point-blank range, scraped him into a bag with the shovel, and tossed him in the garbage can.

I'm sorry I didn't take photos because you'll probably never see another animal killed by my hand, unless it is one of our very rare Suburban varmints.

Pellets are not very humane. It took three to kill him and one to make sure. I took care that my wife didn't see me do it. She would have been horrified.

This was legally poaching, as the state of California owns these possum, and of course they have more rights than human taxpayers.

Possum and Sweet taters

• 1 possum
  • 2½ teaspoons salt
  • Pepper to taste
  • Flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 medium sweet potatoes
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions:

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
  2. Clean possum, trim excess fat.
  3. Wash inside and out with warm water; drain and pat dry.
  4. Rub the possum with salt and pepper inside and out.
  5. Sprinkle inside and out with flour.
  6. Lay the possum on its back in a roasting pan.
  7. Add water, cover and bake until about half done (45 – 60 minutes).
  8. Split peeled potatoes in half lengthwise and place in pan around possum.
  9. Add more water if needed.
  10. Cover sliced potatoes and possum and cook 30 more minutes.
  11. Enjoy

Last possum I killed was about 4AM when it got inside of our fence somehow and my dog was fighting with it.

Sounded like WW3 started in the backyard underneath of my window.

I ended up finally separating my dog from it long enough to smack it in the head with an ax handle. It doesn't take much.

Yeah that's what I did to the last one. I was too tired to load the gun and I just wacked it with a fat broom handle.

Possum and Sweet taters

• 1 possum
  • 2½ teaspoons salt
  • Pepper to taste
  • Flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions:

11. Enjoy

Back about '65 when dad was in Vietnam, I was living in Kentucky. I came home from school one day to our third-floor walk-up garrett apartment to find that the people on the first floor were stretching and Tanning possum hides--which (once I identified them visually) explained the horrible smell I found coming up our street.

I can't tell you to this day if it was just the smell of the possum hides curing in the hot sun, or if they were actually cooking the Little Critters in the kitchen on the first floor.

But the experience cured me of any possible tendency to ingest portions of this detestable creature, unless it be a matter of life and death!

Possum actually aint bad. I prefer it done as a possum pot pie i just dont know how to make the crust and top. Now raccoon i have tried but never had any i liked. Some of our indigenous folks love both and happily take them usually offering to pay for em and begging for more. Not a regular on my menu but i have been known to have a bite. Now tree rats also known as squirrels i can eat some squirrels. Rabbits meh take em or leave em had to many growing up in north Alabama. We raised beagles as rabbit dogs Had 27 at one time and dad being gone alot they were my chore so i got over the whole rabbit thing early.

I really don't like the taste of squirrel.

I always give them to whoever will eat them so they don't go to waste.

These small creatures are all on my list of things to eat after TSHTF and ordinary food is no longer available.

Assuming someone doesn't eat me first.

One of our cats has killed a rat and left it dead under my junk pile and I've been smelling the thing for 2 days now. I'm just glad it wasn't a possum.

Now I got to go move all that s*** and scrape up the carcass.

Hey Grandpa what's for supper?

e92353a25799b96587d0ba0e4f1c446f.jpg

Possum and Sweet taters

• 1 possum
  • 2½ teaspoons salt
  • Pepper to taste
  • Flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions:

11. Enjoy

I still dont have my cams out.

I'm going to put out some trail cams for the two-legged varmints.

We had a car stolen in our neighborhood recently. Nothing has ever been stolen here in 15 years. But things are going downhill.

Anyhow I have several computers I'm not really using, and I think I will set some of them up to record video to hard drive. If I get Bluetooth cameras that can talk to my WiFi network it should be really easy.

I had put in 2 small food plots in one corner of my property couple weeks back weve had good rain and they are poping up nicely better than i expected. I did minimal prep and its pretty shady area. I tried a ready made mix from tractor supply that they had on sale. Didnt have hi hopes but its actually growing. Had first two visitors last night early this morning.PICT0032.JPG

The food plot looks like it's working great.

And don't worry about not getting any buck pictures yet.

Where the doe go, bucks follow.

Don't be surprised if you don't start getting some buck photos really soon.

The food plot looks like it's working great.

And don't worry about not getting any buck pictures yet.

Where the doe go, bucks follow.

Don't be surprised if you don't start getting some buck photos really soon.
First time ive tried the no till type stuff. Never had much faith in the no work methods but have to say its actually popping up at least the rye part, also contains brasicca and clover. I literally used mower set low as possible to blow debris out then raked up and spread seed then drug it over with old piece of chain link fence real quick. Bucks over here are very leary and we have an extermely late rut. That particular end of my property is seperated from a small 900 acre hunt club. There is a railroad spur and small creek btween us. When they start tromping up theyre woods deer tend to come over to mine and neighbors property. I dont usually hunt them but have let the kids take a deer before my grandson would of course be welcome to get his first here.
Its basically a sanctuary city for the local animals. We had an issue two years ago with some from the hunt club not respecting the boundaries. That was resolved quickly. Not best picture but this is out my front screen door couple months ago. I actually counted 17 turkey in that group.20170214_154723.jpg

That's awesome.

Back when I was growing up, a lot of animals had been hunted almost out of existence.

Squirrels were the biggest thing around because they were common. We seldom saw deer or turkey at all.

It's good to have a buffer zone between your property and others.

We border an animal preserve. But that seems to encourage and embolden the poachers and trespassers. I have to stay vigilant about that, but I watch over that land like an old junkyard dog.

Back