• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

CamelBak Linchpin! *Lots of pics*

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Just got the CamelBak Linchpin since we've been talking bout hydration packs and systems. I'm really diggin it so far as I'm figuring out just how to use it, its loaded with features and I'm finding it has a ton of space!!!

CamelBak Linchpin
gmipackslinchpinmulticam2010tiff.ashx

Featuring the Futura Harness by Mystery Ranch, the Linchpin™ allows the user to custom-fit the harness to a specific torso length. It can also be adjusted for wearing with or without armor. A narrow profile allows the user a full range of motion and easier movement through narrow spaces.

SPECS:
Hydration Capacity: 102 oz (3.1 L)

Cargo Volume: 1800 cu in (29.5 L)

Total Volume: 1984 cu in (32.5 L)

Includes the 102 oz (3.1 L) OMEGA® Water Beast™ Reservoir with HydroLink Exit Port

Pack Weight: 3.28 lbs (1.49 kg) with empty reservoir

Materials: 500D Cordura® Fabric front panel, gusset, and shoulder harness top side > Air mesh on back panel and underside of shoulder harness > 210D Nylon lining > 7 series Aluminum > 5 mm Closed-Cell foam for insulated reservoir compartment

Pack Dimensions: 19 in x 17.75 in x 14 in (483 mm x 451 mm x 356 mm)

Features:
CamelBak® Got Your Bak™ Guarantee: If we built it, we'll Bak it™ with our lifetime guarantee

Reservoir Features: Easy-to-fill and clean wide-mouth OMEGA opening, rugged and durable Water Beast™ material, leak-proof screw-cap, insulated PureFlow™ tube, patented Big Bite™ Valve, HydroLink™ Exit Port and Drink Port, HydroLock™ one-handed flow control

Additional Features: Futura Harness by Mystery Ranch provides a custom fit, External side pockets carry three M16 magazines each, Radio equipment compatible with two lash points and dual antennae ports, Overflow compartment provides easy access to gear, Lightweight, durable 500D Cordura® Fabric

Designed to Carry: Ammunition, Radio equipment

I began stuffing things into it today and it isnt even near half full! So I took a bunch of pics to show you what I have so far...

Heres the Linchpin in foliage. I'm finding that these colors in the Curdura, much like Eberlestocks Dry Earth, seem to blend as the light changes against their background. You'll see that in some of the pics where the foliage looks more grey.
100_5847Small.jpg

Here you can see one of my favorite features of this pack! The open top/top-loading over flow pocket! Also, generous compression straps on either side to keep it all contained!
100_5850Small.jpg

Thick padded mesh lined straps and backing! The Linchpin also has a "yoke" at the top to aid suspension adjustment of the Futura Harness by Mystery Ranch. I'm told this is among the largest packs made not using a frame. The Futura Harness is a formed and reinforced "plate" that will slide up and down in the back pad and is held in place with heavy velcro and the yoke. Its very comfortable and carries the pack well!
100_5851Small.jpg

Nice!!!
100_5853Small.jpg

100 oz./3 ltr. Water Beast! The compartment is also insulated and includes 3 tube ports, one top center, one on either side of the bottom corners, to allow a couple different routing options of the drink tube!
100_5854Small.jpg

This is the main compartment. You see the velcro flap under the handle (which is super reinforced!). That velcro flap hides on of two radio ports, there is one on each side!
100_5857Small.jpg

Close up of that radio port opened up, there is also suspension inside for the radio.
100_5859Small.jpg

Small upper pocket, great for gloves and shooting glasses!
100_5860Small.jpg

Top loading pocket! Holds a good deal of stuff!
100_5861Small.jpg

Field jacket, scarf and hat!
100_5865Small.jpg

Small outer pocket for misc. stuffs...
100_5868Small.jpg

Earplug thingys, hand warmers and 50' of paracord!
100_5870Small.jpg

Ooooh, the organizer pocket!
100_5871Small.jpg

Couple Cliff bars, my Mudinyeri EDC and a folding map case...
100_5877Small.jpg

Ha! I forgot I had put my bungee sling in there too! Also, my Ammo Head Design ST pen, and cell phone. There is a small bungee thing that will pull down tight over the cell phone, but would be better suited for a 2-way radio or GPS.
100_5879Small.jpg

Last one for now! Its pretty much the same as the last, but here you can see the difference in color just because of a change in the natural sunlight. The pack actually looks like a slightly different color! and I wanted a slightly better pic of the USA girl on my phone! :lol:
100_5883Small.jpg

So, there are a few more things I want to show you, but it will have to wait! There are loops on the bottom which I think will be perfect for my tent, and the side pockets for ammo (which is what theyre designed for) and I want to take out the harness plate thing and show you all how that works!

Thanks!
Rossignol, out.

Thanks Shooter! There is more I want to cover, and I havent even begun to beat it yet! ;)

It seems to be a very heavy duty and tough pack! Everything is super reinforced, there are quick adjust and side release buckles and plenty adjustment throughout the pack.

I need to load more in it and I want to put my tent on it too, and probably fill the side pouches with ammo.

Oh, and something else i forgot is there is a drainage opening in that open top pocket!

Great review Brad! That pack looks like it was very well thought out with lots of useful features.

Pick up the cleaning kit too. If you are not drinking out of it every day then store the bladder on the hanger till dry and make sure the tube is dry. You will know if you aren’t maintaining it right because it will grow algae. Even if you think it is empty the little bits in the corners and tube will gross out on ya. The tube seems more susceptible to algae growth. When I put the insulating sleeve over the tube it seemed to help because it keeps the sun off of it and I kept on top of maintenance a little better. Yours is set up good for cold weather. The tube will still freeze sometimes but the bite valve will always freeze without that cover that you have.....I have used these for years fighting fire they are awesome with proper care.

Yes sir, I hope to be able to figure out how to use it to its fullest!

I believe it will see most of its use on range days, and while doin field work with our bird dog!

awesome, you will find yourself better hydrated because it is just so easy to throw the tube up and take a drink...and the agea wont hurt ya its just gross

oli700 said:
awesome, you will find yourself better hydrated because it is just so easy to throw the tube up and take a drink...and the agea wont hurt ya its just gross

:lol: I'll keep that in mind!!!

walpoler said:
Nice review! Only a few things better than a trusty 'ol backpack.

Thank You! Not nearly finished though, and youre right! I'm a sucker for a great pack as it easier to carry stuff I can wear!

Update and more pics!!!

Just wanna show a few more things here. I have found that the pocket for the suspension system allows nicely for my machete!
100_5944Small.jpg

100_5945Small.jpg

100_5951Small.jpg

100_5952Small.jpg

And I stuffed a few more things into the outer slash pocket! Compression bandage, paracord whistle lanyard with two whistles, and a knife sharpener! I have also added the Black Diamond locking caribiner.
100_5959Small.jpg

100_5955Small.jpg

In the open top over-flow pocket, I am keeping a pair of full size binoculars!
100_5970Small.jpg

100_5976Small.jpg

With the accessory loops on the bottom of the pack, I used a couple leather straps to attach a 4 man tent, although my family of 5 fits in there!
100_5962Small.jpg

Quick release buckles everywhere, on the compression straps and on the shoulder straps, making it easy to drop the pack in seconds if need be!
100_5966Small.jpg

100_5969Small.jpg

And lastly for tonight, the ammo pocket. There is one on each side and while its designed to cary 3 M4/AR magazines in each pocket, they easily accomodate a 25 round box of 12 ga. shells.
100_5982Small.jpg

In summary, as of right now, I have a decent bit of weight in or on the pack. The Futura Harness (which I'll feature at another time) by Mystery Ranch makes carrying the weight EASY! I cant explain how comfortable the harness and suspension rig is! Its not like you have to lean forward to make it feel right, it wears really well. Additionally, I've been grabbing the thing and throwin around by whatever I get a hold of. The grab handle and everything else is super reinforced! I think its industructible!!! And if it can be destroyed... theres the CamelBak, "Got Your Bak" gaurantee!

Awesome review...Part II

Well written...superb pics...and very interesting machete (which should also be reviewed )

Good job dude !!...rep sent

Thanks again fellas! I gotta show you that suspension system yet!!!

Took CamelBak hunting with us today!

I know you cant see the pack here, but I have the LinchPin sitting on the trunk of my car. I'm using the 3 liter Omega Water Beast, letting gravity and the weight of the water do its thing to fill water bottles for my dog! Exactly as I intended for it to work! We can drink from the tube but I'd rather not have my dogs mouth on it! :lol: So instead of carrying several bottles of water, we carry the Linchpin. As i've mentioned above, it carries like youre wearing it! It feels great, very comfortable and well balanced!

Heres the LinchPin! Carrying a handful of stuff, some of it not needed for the day, but I was too lazy to take it out before we left! :lol: Well, we didnt need binoculars today! But I carried a box of shells, Cliff bars, our ears, some first aid and emergency stuff, I didnt load it down too much today!

Attachments

• 100_6166 (Small).JPG
    100_6166 (Small).JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 458
  • CamelBakHunt(Small).JPG
    CamelBakHunt(Small).JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 458
Better pic of the LinchPin in use, This is super easy for gettin water to Ivy! It really is EXACTLY what I was hopin for! By runnin the drinking tube through one of the bottom side ports, its totally gravity fed!

CamelBak_IvySmall.jpg

Well thank you! I really enjoy the pack and usin it!

I dont keep a ton of stuff in it, and its easy to swap out a few things depending on whether we're shooting at the "range" or like this weekend goin hunting. A few things stay always, like first aid and stuff.

Back